Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2020, 06:21 AM

242 posts, read 150,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Even if the amount of people being tested is up, the percentage of those positive should not be any higher than in previous weeks. The percent positive is rising. Feel free to blame it on asymptomatic, non-contagious people all you want. Personally, I do not see why everyone would rush to get a test days before the holiday, just because you are negative on Saturday does not mean you will be negative on Thursday. Why not just follow the guidelines and not get together with others. It really isn't that hard.
Actually the percent positive the last few days is lower than it was on 11/7-11/8 and has been pretty consistent in the mid 7%s with the exception of 2 or 3 days a week ago.

Do I think there is some seasonal growth going on, sure. That is pretty evident by looking basically everywhere. We hit flu/cold season and cases increased all over the Western world. It is looking like some places are hitting peaks in this wave about 6-8 weeks after the case growth starts (although some Euro countries peaked after about 4 weeks of steep incline), I guess we will see if that holds. AND if NC has really hit its 'steep incline'.

Now, people should certainly manage their risks and act accordingly.

Will their be less people at my Thanksgiving dinner this year, certainly (only family we see regularly). But I am not judging those who aren't coming, any more than I am those that are.

And at this point, no one cares if someone is martyring their Thanksgiving dinner. People are going to make the choices they view as right for them and their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 06:48 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
on October 22, the 7 day average of tests in NC was ~40,600. On Nov 21, that average was ~55,300. PCR tests were up 33%, antigen doubled. That overall average of testing was up 36%. I *think* that's considered a significant increase

With still 60%+ of hospitalizations coming from >60 yrs old, I still don't understand why the state isn't doing more to address it.

I don't know WHY we haven't dedicated resources to keeping Covid out of congregate living, and when it "slips by", dedicating additional resources to containing the # of cases and bad outcomes.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
on October 22, the 7 day average of tests in NC was ~40,600. On Nov 21, that average was ~55,300. PCR tests were up 33%, antigen doubled. That overall average of testing was up 36%. I *think* that's considered a significant increase

With still 60%+ of hospitalizations coming from >60 yrs old, I still don't understand why the state isn't doing more to address it.

I don't know WHY we haven't dedicated resources to keeping Covid out of congregate living, and when it "slips by", dedicating additional resources to containing the # of cases and bad outcomes.
Congregate deaths still driving death totals. Last week's numbers are a little wonky due to the holiday and change in time cut off for reporting (causing some data to get pushed to the next day).

But Congregate deaths still dominate.

And the fact that the NC DHHS can't identify the setting for over 17% of the deaths is just sheer bureaucratic laziness. Make some phone calls.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:11 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,480,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
People are looking for a way to celebrate with others on Thursday and think they need a negative test to do so.
Agree that getting a test before traveling for Thanksgiving is useless if you aren't going to quarantine after the test, otherwise if you test on Saturday, get results back on Tuesday, bit didn't quarantine, you could announce to grandma that you tested negative, but caught it after you took it because you didn't quarantine.
Lots of people are doing that, though. My father-in-law visited his mother this weekend; He worked from home the week leading up to this weekend and got tested early-mid last week, before visiting his mother.

My wife didn't join him (and therefore neither did I) because she can't practically quarantine as a result of her job. It is what it is. We (in-laws and wife and I) four will have TG together. No one is getting tested but everyone accepts the level of risk involved. My wife is exceedingly careful but works in schools; my MIL is exceedingly careful and works in a Hospital, I WFH, FIL sometimes goes to his office of 1/2 dozen folks but mostly is WFH.

And, if one is working from home in the first place, and driving to visit family in Charlotte or DC or wherever, that's as safe as anything assuming one trusts those that they're visiting and doesn't stop indoors anywhere on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Why not just follow the guidelines and not get together with others. It really isn't that hard.
There is a difference between being alive and living. The tipping point is different for everyone.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:31 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
so I see Gov Cooper wants us wearing masks in our own home when anyone we don't live with is present

https://mobile.twitter.com/NC_Govern...52455182495747

does my daughter, home from college after 3 months, count or not?

Old 11-23-2020, 02:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,489,188 times
If Cooper did/said nothing, and the hospitals got overwhemled, he'd take heat and likely get voted out.

If he overcompensates, he's really not out much, as those who DGAF will just blow him off and do what they wish, and no one can say he didn't try to keep cases under control.

I'm just really confused why businesses, gyms, restaurants, and churches are still open. I mean if we are at the point where he is telling people to wear masks inside their house, we should've already been shuttering any indoor congregate activity. We have higher numbers than we did over the summer yet they even closed outdoor(!) parks and playgrounds too.

Here is something no one wants to hear...it's going to get worse before it gets better. Probably a lot worse. The Spanish flu had 4x as many cases during its first winter as it did in the previous spring. There, I saved some hyperventilating over the daily covid number brief.

That being said, those who allowed the virus to propagate earlier, will see a lower count moving forward. Since NC never really saw a huge peak, we're in more for a slow burn (see: St. Louis vs Philadelphia for the 1918 pandemic).

Old 11-23-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If Cooper did/said nothing, and the hospitals got overwhemled, he'd take heat and likely get voted out.

If he overcompensates, he's really not out much, as those who DGAF will just blow him off and do what they wish, and no one can say he didn't try to keep cases under control.

I'm just really confused why gyms, restaurants, and churches are still open. I mean if we are at the point where he is telling people to wear masks inside their house, we should've already been shuttering any indoor congregate activity. We have higher numbers than we did over the summer yet they even closed outdoor(!) parks and playgrounds too.
I don't think he has to worry about elections any more, at least for his current office.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:16 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,294,212 times
What's everyone's predictions for the positive cases over the next few days after all the Thanksgiving testing?

I'm going to go with 5-6000 per day for a while.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:38 PM

773 posts, read 648,675 times
Hospitalizations were over 1,600 for the first time yesterday. Number of tests has declined for 2 consecutive days and yesterday was at the lowest level in a week.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:42 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,347,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

I'm just really confused why businesses, gyms, restaurants, and churches are still open. I mean if we are at the point where he is telling people to wear masks inside their house, we should've already been shuttering any indoor congregate activity. We have higher numbers than we did over the summer yet they even closed outdoor(!) parks and playgrounds too.

Here is something no one wants to hear...it's going to get worse before it gets better. Probably a lot worse. The Spanish flu had 4x as many cases during its first winter as it did in the previous spring. There, I saved some hyperventilating over the daily covid number brief.

That being said, those who allowed the virus to propagate earlier, will see a lower count moving forward. Since NC never really saw a huge peak, we're in more for a slow burn (see: St. Louis vs Philadelphia for the 1918 pandemic).
I agree 100%. I read recently we might hit 471,000 deaths by March, so that would be the 1 year total
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary