Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 02:12 PM

19,469 posts, read 28,025,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
Not so fast. Are we still denying naturally acquired immunity?

https://brownstone.org/articles/79-r...ed-and-quoted/

No, I'm certainly not. But I think we can all agree that the (vast?) majority of people who haven't received the vax aren't walking around with natural acquired immunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 02:26 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,628,706 times
I think that Raleigh has hinted that the mask mandate removal will depend on when the CDC downgrades Wake County's status from High/Substantial Transmission.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:34 PM

129 posts, read 117,359 times
I like masks, but I was pressing elevator buttons with my elbow and holding my breath as people passed me closely long before Covid. I'm weird like that.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:29 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,564,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Mask mandate ends in Cary on Friday. Woo hoo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8AqY6mJUTI
And we don't have to wait until 5PM for it to take effect.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:38 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,882,712 times
I'm just glad that I don't mind wearing a mask in public places. I can't imagine a time where I will stop wearing them, and the K95s are comfortable enough for the kinds of duration I'm in most public places.

While not a germophobe, like an earlier poster I was using knuckles, elbows and other ways of avoiding touching high-traffic touchpoints long ago, and I was already conscious of how many people's exhausts, we are a generally and comparably loud society. These fall into the Can't Unsee variety.

But this was already well done in one of those pandemic movies, maybe Contagion, which showed how many things we touch in everyday life then eat with our hands, etc.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:04 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I'm just glad that I don't mind wearing a mask in public places. I can't imagine a time where I will stop wearing them, and the K95s are comfortable enough for the kinds of duration I'm in most public places.

While not a germophobe, like an earlier poster I was using knuckles, elbows and other ways of avoiding touching high-traffic touchpoints long ago, and I was already conscious of how many people's exhausts, we are a generally and comparably loud society. These fall into the Can't Unsee variety.

But this was already well done in one of those pandemic movies, maybe Contagion, which showed how many things we touch in everyday life then eat with our hands, etc.
You do you! Nice to have a choice.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:31 AM

289 posts, read 258,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No, I'm certainly not. But I think we can all agree that the (vast?) majority of people who haven't received the vax aren't walking around with natural acquired immunity.
I certainly cannot argue against your supposition with concrete stats, but I do not easily accept it either.

All numbers below are for Wake County, NC:

Population - 1,112,000
Confirmed COVID-19 cases - 131,000
% of population fully Vaccinated - 70.36%
# of population fully vaccinated - 782,403
COVID-19 Deaths - 895
Total # of people vaccinated or w/naturally acquired immunity - 912,508
# of people not vaccinated & without natural immunity (Per above data!) - 199,492
Number of people with naturally acquired immunity, and never reported - ?????

I believe the number of people who contracted COVID-19 but never reported it is a lot higher than many people think. In my household alone, two of the three of us did not report. My wife tested positive back in March. My son and I both got sick at the same time. He is too young to speak about his symptoms, but my wife and I both lost our sense of smell until about mid-July. On top of that, I have now tested positive twice for antibodies. This is good enough evidence for me, all things considered, that I had COVID-19, and I believe my son did too. We are not the only people to not report.

Then, of course, there is natural immunity. Not naturally acquired immunity, but just natural immunity. We don't understand why, yet, but some people appear to simply be immune to the virus without vaccination or prior exposure.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:47 AM

18,477 posts, read 15,927,818 times
Just saw this:

Cary will no longer require masks in indoor public spaces as of 12:01 a.m. Friday, October 29.
Beginning Friday, masks will no longer be required for indoor facilities, including those owned and operated by the Town.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:49 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,564,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
I certainly cannot argue against your supposition with concrete stats, but I do not easily accept it either.

All numbers below are for Wake County, NC:

Population - 1,112,000
Confirmed COVID-19 cases - 131,000
% of population fully Vaccinated - 70.36%
# of population fully vaccinated - 782,403
COVID-19 Deaths - 895
# of people not vaccinated & without natural immunity (Per above data!) - 199,492
Number of people with naturally acquired immunity, and never reported - ?????

I believe the number of people who contracted COVID-19 but never reported it is a lot higher than many people think. In my household alone, two of the three of us did not report. My wife tested positive back in March. My son and I both got sick at the same time. He is too young to speak about his symptoms, but my wife and I both lost our sense of smell until about mid-July. On top of that, I have now tested positive twice for antibodies. This is good enough evidence for me, all things considered, that I had COVID-19, and I believe my son did too. We are not the only people to not report.

Then, of course, there is natural immunity. Not naturally acquired immunity, but just natural immunity. We don't understand why, yet, but some people appear to simply be immune to the virus without vaccination or prior exposure.
Good analysis.

Re: the totals, there are probably some people who had COVID cases but also were vaccinated, so the 912,508 is probably too high as calculated. However, your other point (people who had it but didn't report it) might bring the total back up to that number or higher - especially if they were either asymptomatic or a mild case.

Re: natural immunity for those who have not yet had COVID - I wonder how many of those people are on one of the prophylactic regimens - either to try to directly stave off COVID or for treatment for another condition?

Old 10-29-2021, 10:23 AM

289 posts, read 258,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Good analysis.

Re: the totals, there are probably some people who had COVID cases but also were vaccinated, so the 912,508 is probably too high as calculated. However, your other point (people who had it but didn't report it) might bring the total back up to that number or higher - especially if they were either asymptomatic or a mild case.

Re: natural immunity for those who have not yet had COVID - I wonder how many of those people are on one of the prophylactic regimens - either to try to directly stave off COVID or for treatment for another condition?
I understand your point, but I think I can fix it by changing this

to this

Total # of people vaccinated and/or w/naturally acquired immunity - 912,508

So, the number still works.

Good question about the natural immunity phenomenon. I'd love to know the answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary