Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 11:44 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Right. But the flu shot we see in this country generally targets a strain of influenza. The shot doesn't touch Rhinoviruses which are pretty prevalent during cold and flu season (I generally get a cold once a year. I've never knowing had the actual Flu). Thus if I don't generally deal with influenza, said shot isn't going to touch what I have got ill with in the past.

Talk a big game? About a mask? You make it sound like a Herculean effort to don one. It's literally one step above "abject laziness" (in the context of the year we have all just lived through, which is the only mask context most Americans alive know of) . I wouldn't put "big game" and "mask" in the same sentence. YMMV.

We all know my stance on handwashing. I'll spare everyone a rehash of it.
Yes I was quoting/replying to the other poster about their flu experiences.

The WP article basically said wearing masks to prevent colds doesn't fix the problem. You're much more apt to catch colds from surfaces.

Something I've read elsewhere as well, is that those who get colds are more protected from Covid, or at least your body can deal with it better.

I understand not wanting to get sick but IMO one is better off long term going the way of letting your immune system do the dirty work, unless it's so bad you bleed from your ears when getting a flu. Those people lost the genetic lottery.

I got the flu once; it sucked, and I'll be honest, I am rethinking the yearly flu shot. I may do it. Reading about the internal inflammation that happens when you get flus (the regular one and super ones like Covid) and the damage it can do, does make me pause.

Last edited by wheelsup; 03-29-2021 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 12:14 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yes I was quoting/replying to the other poster about their flu experiences.

The WP article basically said wearing masks to prevent colds doesn't fix the problem. You're much more apt to catch colds from surfaces.

Something I've read elsewhere as well, is that those who get colds are more protected from Covid, or at least your body can deal with it better.

I understand not wanting to get sick but IMO one is better off long term going the way of letting your immune system do the dirty work, unless it's so bad you bleed from your ears when getting a flu. Those people lost the genetic lottery.

I got the flu once; it sucked, and I'll be honest, I am rethinking the yearly flu shot. I may do it. Reading about the internal inflammation that happens when you get flus (the regular one and super ones like Covid) and the damage it can do, does make me pause.

Oh, 100%. I'm not looking to "avoid getting sick ever ever ever again". Just merely a means to mitigate the chances, which during a couple of months a year (again post COVID) isn't too much to take on for me.

I understand others won't and that's certainly their prerogative. What works for me doesn't have to work for someone else.

But lets not kid ourselves. We live in a country where the average person doesn't really pause their life when they get ill; kids went to school sick, parents go to work sick, go shopping sick etc etc etc. How many people wear it as a badge of honor that "I haven't taken a sick day in X years!". Occam's Razor tells you that whether they took the sick day or not....they probably have been sick in that period of time. Between WFH (where possible) and our last year, I hope more people will take some time when they they fall ill to ensure both their recovery and not sharing whatever it is they have unnecessarily.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:31 PM

598 posts, read 333,125 times
Quote:
Cold viruses easily spread through the air. Wearing masks does help prevent that spread. It's just that the virus can stick around on surfaces too, so you shouldn't rub your eyes or pick your nose with dirty hands.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Cold viruses easily spread through the air. Wearing masks does help prevent that spread. It's just that the virus can stick around on surfaces too, so you shouldn't rub your eyes or pick your nose with dirty hands.
I don't think you're going to find many interested in wearing a mask to protect others. Just being honest.

Personal responsibly is paramount (or should be).

I believe the point of the article is that even if you are cautious and wear a respirator, colds generally get people infected from the things they touch.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Oh, 100%. I'm not looking to "avoid getting sick ever ever ever again". Just merely a means to mitigate the chances, which during a couple of months a year (again post COVID) isn't too much to take on for me.

I understand others won't and that's certainly their prerogative. What works for me doesn't have to work for someone else.

But lets not kid ourselves. We live in a country where the average person doesn't really pause their life when they get ill; kids went to school sick, parents go to work sick, go shopping sick etc etc etc. How many people wear it as a badge of honor that "I haven't taken a sick day in X years!". Occam's Razor tells you that whether they took the sick day or not....they probably have been sick in that period of time. Between WFH (where possible) and our last year, I hope more people will take some time when they they fall ill to ensure both their recovery and not sharing whatever it is they have unnecessarily.
For a large segment of our population, it's either go to work sick or don't get paid. Similar to that CNN article, your post comes off as tone deaf. IMO.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:05 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,432 times
Quote:
For a large segment of our population, it's either go to work sick or don't get paid. Similar to that CNN article, your post comes off as tone deaf. IMO.

LOL. That's a new one considering my general position on most things.....

Off the top, per BLS, 76% of the working population in this country has access to sick time. Not sure I would describe a quarter of anything as a "large segment"...but "large" can be different things to different people

More broadly and given my previously mentioned "biases", this should come as no surprise about what I am about to say....what an indictment of our system. Richest country in the history of planet, and segments of our working population are on par (in terms of the choices people have to make) with second and third world countries you just visited...where entire swathes of the population survive by "......From selling eggs and dog food on the side of the road, to tire shops, to chilled beverages in stop and go traffic" as you put it.

My beef in this argument isn't the worker. Its the employer. We're one of two advanced economies (South Korea being the other) on the planet that don't mandate sick time. In looking at the "biggest offenders" list of no sick time, the top 10 (in terms of number of employees who don't get sick time) are McDonalds, Wal-Mart, Kroger, Subway, BK, Pizza Hut, Target, Marriott, Wendy's and Taco Bell.

What an amazing list - 6 of the 10 are in food service (yummmmy, I really want my Big Mac with a side of Norovirus or the cold), Wal-Mart (what could be said about that place which hasn't already been said about herpes), Target (Wal-Mart with some upper Midwest charm) and Marriott. 3 of which (Subway, BK and Marriott) still don't even have sick time for even COVID positive workers.

Tone deaf? Sure....I guess. But only if you believe my issue is with the guy or gal plugging away for 10 bucks an hour at the checkout lane in Wally World.....which it isn't nor was it ever (but you knew that).

Entire industries had to adjust because of COVID and figure out new ways of conducting their business; including industries a helluva lot more complicated than retail. If WalMart can't be bothered to allow their people to stay home because ringing up knockoff Crocs and Champion Sweats is so vitally important...I'm sure they'll just figure out another way for the rest of us to pick up their tab. Doing what is right by their workers hasn't exactly been a driving cultural factor for them.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:34 PM

If someone barely graduates high school (or doesn't) and makes a career out of WalMart putting boxes on shelves, you have no sympathy from me. Yeah, it's heartless. I've seen enough first hand to know that people who are in that situation got there mostly by making numerous bad choices over and over again.

It's why when immigrants come here, they kick ass. They've got that work ethic and drive to make it happen. It's a sight to see. I love it. It's what makes America so great.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:52 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,055,774 times
Default Immunizations in Duke Health MyChart app

FYI. I was trying to get an invitation to sign up for the state DHHS vaccine portal to document my vaccination. I never got the automated email despite my provider having my email address. I've gone back and forth with their help desk and didn't get anywhere. But if you are in the Duke Health system (MyChart), there is a section in the MyChart app that shows your immunizations. On Android, it's under Health Summary, Immunizations.

MyChart also works for Wake Med.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:26 AM

18,060 posts, read 15,653,675 times
The genie is out of the bottle. After a year of being contained and distanced, the masses want to get up close 'n personal with many others. The 18 - 35 yr old demographic wants their wild Glenwood nights back, and they're going to make up for lost time.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:04 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The genie is out of the bottle. After a year of being contained and distanced, the masses want to get up close 'n personal with many others. The 18 - 35 yr old demographic wants their wild Glenwood nights back, and they're going to make up for lost time.
It sucks that we had the finish line in sight, and instead of grinding it out for two more months folks have to throw a party and blow it all up again. Hope I'm wrong, but looks like we'll get one more big spike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary