Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 11:18 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Ever? Last time was in 2010. I cut the cable cord in 2010 altogether and no longer watch any news (national or local) on TV. Life is better and calmer.

The tools have gotten smarter (hey, smart phone & apps!), I can get a weather update or an alert on any subject I want, from quality sources. I refuse to be fear-mongered.

I believe in science, believe in data, and use common sense.
The ratings Pig Vomit scene from Private Parts comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G6xu-J_Dmc

If you hate CNN's sensationalism (understandable)...why the F do you tune in? It's like a self fulfilling media generated Stockholm Syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 11:20 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Ever? Last time was in 2010. I cut the cable cord in 2010 altogether and no longer watch any news (national or local) on TV. Life is better and calmer.

The tools have gotten smarter (hey, smart phone & apps!), I can get a weather update or an alert on any subject I want, from quality sources. I refuse to be fear-mongered.

I believe in science, believe in data, and use common sense.
So you know what CNN used to be like - compare that to the stuff they produce now (web or tv). Like it or not a large part of the country gets their news from them or Fox (online or TV) and what they do has national ramifications on a societal level. It's unfortunate.

My only hope is eventually folks will say enough is enough.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:21 AM

9,780 posts, read 15,798,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Interesting that we haven't really heard much in the news (or during the Gov's weekly Covid Updates) about the recent outbreaks at local congregate living facilities. Just in the last month there have been at least 4 outbreaks.

I thought those places were the first to receive vaccinations. It makes me really wonder about the efficacy of these vaccines especially since it seems that these new variants are becoming more common all over the US now.

I heard on last nights news about Duke's research with Moderna and J&J and some of the new variants. I find it strange that they did not test Pfizer and they are only saying that two of the vaccines are effective against the UK and Ca variants. The only thing they added is that Pfizer "should be" effective but without testing how will we know especially now that we are seeing these outbreaks at congregate facilities that most likely used Pfizer since that was the 1st vaccine available.

And please don't misconstrue my post for being against the Covid vaccine. I have had my first shot so far even though I did hesitate a bit. This was one of my main reasons for holding off a bit (along with a couple of other reasons).
There already has been a lot of data about Pfizer out of Israel, so that may be why they are looking at the other two vaccines.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
The ratings Pig Vomit scene from Private Parts comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G6xu-J_Dmc

If you hate CNN's sensationalism (understandable)...why the F do you tune in? It's like a self fulfilling media generated Stockholm Syndrome.

That movie looks hilarious - I've never seen it. But definitely became the guiding light for our once respected journalistic folks. Just look at what 60 minutes did to the FL governor.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That movie looks hilarious - I've never seen it. But definitely became the guiding light for our once respected journalistic folks. Just look at what 60 minutes did to the FL governor.
It is funny if you can appreciate what Howard Stern "is". And Paul Giamatti is fantastic in it.

I'm trying to find a tweet I saw from Tom Nichols (former R Rep from RI) a couple of days ago that fits this discussion. Ill add it if I can find it in time.

But the basic gist was (paraphrasing)....don't blame the media for being what they are. They are only providing the service as the people had demanded it be provided. The issue isn't the media. The issue is the consumers demanding what the media is giving them.

Here's the tweet/discussion.

https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/sta...402595841?s=20

Last edited by GVoR; 04-08-2021 at 11:44 AM..

Old 04-08-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
It is funny if you can appreciate what Howard Stern "is". And Paul Giamatti is fantastic in it.

I'm trying to find a tweet I saw from Tom Nichols (former R Rep from RI) a couple of days ago that fits this discussion. Ill add it if I can find it in time.

But the basic gist was (paraphrasing)....don't blame the media for being what they are. They are only providing the service as the people had demanded it be provided. The issue isn't the media. The issue is the consumers demanding what the media is giving them.
I definitely agree with that. Each year society becomes ever more uncivil.

edit: Read the link; he is spot on about personal responsibly going out the window. The US is all about shifting blame to everyone but oneself nowadays.

What concerns me long term is Congress now will use the power of the printing press to buy votes to appease the masses.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:01 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
I think it would serve us all well to decouple a couple of things.

1. The media (or more accurately, the modern incarnation of the media we the people will into existence) is in the business of hype. Clicks and Eyeballs.
2. Fact #1 doesn't undo the concept that many experts in this field have concerns with the variants.

My "Double PhD Merck Chemist" buddy up north who I have been in regular contact regarding all things COVID (and shared some of what he has shared with me with you all before) has said more than once to me, and I quote, "this is now a race between vaccinations and the variants. The variants give me and all my colleagues great pause given what we are seeing in our lab".

In short. Yes the media isn't helping. But that doesn't make the underlying nugget false/hyped/hyperbole etc. Both things can be true. The media being s**tbirds doesn't mean the variants aren't truly concerning to people who do this stuff for a living.
very true of course, though it will never stop bothering me that the media "acts" as if they're still journalists but then are more clicks/eyeballs/narratives each passing day.

I understand scientific concern over variants when they lead to worse outcomes. I understand when they use new info from variants to encourage folks to get vaccinated.

But this now oft-repeated snippet isn't accurate

Quote:
Studies have suggested that the UK variant is more contagious than the original strain, is possibly more dangerous and associated with a higher risk of death.
here's an article on 1 study. https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/10/healt...udy/index.html

The study cites a mortality rate of 0.4% from the UK strain, and compares it to a 0.26% rate among a "control sample". Well, the ACTUAL death rate from Covid has been FAR in excess of either of those.

In fact, if Covid is only 0.26%, isn't that practically the same as influenza?

Old 04-08-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
very true of course, though it will never stop bothering me that the media "acts" as if they're still journalists but then are more clicks/eyeballs/narratives each passing day.

I understand scientific concern over variants when they lead to worse outcomes. I understand when they use new info from variants to encourage folks to get vaccinated.

But this now oft-repeated snippet isn't accurate

here's an article on 1 study. https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/10/healt...udy/index.html

The study cites a mortality rate of 0.4% from the UK strain, and compares it to a 0.26% rate among a "control sample". Well, the ACTUAL death rate from Covid has been FAR in excess of either of those.

In fact, if Covid is only 0.26%, isn't that practically the same as influenza?
You will get no argument defending the media from me. I support their existence, even when certain channels meld entertainment with "just the facts" because the Consumer in our system must make the choice on their (what should be informed) consumption.

However, like many other things here these days....a strain of what I like to call the "Instant Gratification Nihilism" infects the media (because it infects the people).

Life in many ways, is supposed to be boring. But our modern selves can't accept that, so manufactured excitement must be created to keep the ship moving.

"Just the facts" news reinforces the boring nature of life. So we've demanded a 1960s Batman version of the news to fill the meaningless void.

"BANG!", "BOOM!", "POW!", "BAP!", "KAYO!" fill that contrived void better than merely Cronkite telling you what happened.

"THIS NEW VARIANT IS SUPER DUPER SCARY AND WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR MOM" invokes a Tom Clancy thriller feeling inside a person. Just the same that "PSSST, I EAT COVID-19 B.1.1.7 FOR BREAKFAST" makes people feel like they could run through a wall and leap tall buildings. Either feeling is better than the alternative, which is really "ya a new variant is here, it has some troubling aspects to it we should be mindful of...keep being diligent" which is really just too f'ing boring bro!

Old 04-08-2021, 01:41 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Quote:

??

I don't tune in, that's the point.

I stopped watching TV news back when I cut off cable TV. I did have an OTA antenna installed on my house and I certainly *could* watch local and national network news stations (not cable), but I choose not to. I'd rather read than watch, and I want to spend as little time as possible marinating in the news. (And opinion pieces are not news so I skip those).

Old 04-08-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
??

I don't tune in, that's the point.

I stopped watching TV news back when I cut off cable TV. I did have an OTA antenna installed on my house and I certainly *could* watch local and national network news stations (not cable), but I choose not to. I'd rather read than watch, and I want to spend as little time as possible marinating in the news. (And opinion pieces are not news so I skip those).

No the point of my post was to agree with you.

If you (royal you) don't like the news presentation on a channel, don't watch it. Watching it and then complaining about it seems like an exercise in self flagellation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary