Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 09:56 AM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
It sucks that we had the finish line in sight, and instead of grinding it out for two more months folks have to throw a party and blow it all up again. Hope I'm wrong, but looks like we'll get one more big spike.
Some are fully vaccinated already. Some will never get vaccinated. It will never be perfect and there is no finish line as viruses continue to evolve and boosters will be needed in the future. It comes down to each person and their choices and actions.

Those folks at risk know the score and everyone has been told umpteen times over the last year that CV19 is easily caught and easily spread. The herd will be culled as nature decrees; Darwin always wins in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 11:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
It sucks that we had the finish line in sight, and instead of grinding it out for two more months folks have to throw a party and blow it all up again. Hope I'm wrong, but looks like we'll get one more big spike.
The purpose of lockdowns and masks etc was to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed.

The vast vast vast majority of folks causing 80% of the hospitalizations and deaths are vaccinated. Which means there is little to no risk of hospitals being overrun with Covid patients anymore.

Furthermore, states like AZ and TX that have been open now have actually seen a decrease in cases. Both cases and deaths are down 80%-90% since their Jan highs. Both states now have no mask mandate.

The folks in question skew younger and already have a very low chance of dying from this - under 0.4% of total deaths are attributed to the under 30 crowd - and of those who do, 80% of them are overweight/obese or have some other health condition and can get vaccinated now (if desired).

Old 04-01-2021, 05:44 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Oh, 100%. I'm not looking to "avoid getting sick ever ever ever again". Just merely a means to mitigate the chances, which during a couple of months a year (again post COVID) isn't too much to take on for me.

I understand others won't and that's certainly their prerogative. What works for me doesn't have to work for someone else.

But lets not kid ourselves. We live in a country where the average person doesn't really pause their life when they get ill; kids went to school sick, parents go to work sick, go shopping sick etc etc etc. How many people wear it as a badge of honor that "I haven't taken a sick day in X years!". Occam's Razor tells you that whether they took the sick day or not....they probably have been sick in that period of time. Between WFH (where possible) and our last year, I hope more people will take some time when they they fall ill to ensure both their recovery and not sharing whatever it is they have unnecessarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
For a large segment of our population, it's either go to work sick or don't get paid. Similar to that CNN article, your post comes off as tone deaf. IMO.
Oddly, I remember waaaaaay back in March/April saying that one change we'd need to make is some sick days/PTO for hourly workers.

Because yes, while folks can get TOLD time and again "do not come to work sick", you cannot expect those who depend on an hourly wage to heed it unless they are puking.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:50 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Oddly, I remember waaaaaay back in March/April saying that one change we'd need to make is some sick days/PTO for hourly workers.

Because yes, while folks can get TOLD time and again "do not come to work sick", you cannot expect those who depend on an hourly wage to heed it unless they are puking.
I gave a list of the top ten “pre Covid no sick time†employers a few posts back. 7 of the 10 have implemented some form of sick time since.

They apparently agreed with your idea

Old 04-01-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I gave a list of the top ten “pre Covid no sick time†employers a few posts back. 7 of the 10 have implemented some form of sick time since.

They apparently agreed with your idea
I saw.

It's too bad they didn't agree with me on "dedicate all the effort to keeping it away from the congregate living and 65+ people".

thankfully, our hospital admissions have dropped from 66% of the 65+ crowd to "only" ~ 45%. While that, much lower admissions overall, and vaccination of that demographic are all great .... as long as the demographic that's been given the vaccination opportunity yet still shows up at the ER, folks should never expect ZERO as a Covid #.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I saw.

It's too bad they didn't agree with me on "dedicate all the effort to keeping it away from the congregate living and 65+ people".

thankfully, our hospital admissions have dropped from 66% of the 65+ crowd to "only" ~ 45%. While that, much lower admissions overall, and vaccination of that demographic are all great .... as long as the demographic that's been given the vaccination opportunity yet still shows up at the ER, folks should never expect ZERO as a Covid #.

From my seat, and galvanized by my discussion with my double PhD buddy from Merck last Tuesday after I got my first dose, COVID is here to stay. Obviously not in the numbers we are and have seen over the last 12 months. But I'm not sure it will ever be a zero thing (or at least in the foreseeable future). This isn't Yellow Fever, Polio and to some extent (until recently, sigh) Measles, where vaccines have eliminated a virus in the US. Booster shots every couple of years seem likely as well.

It seems like a near certainly that COVID-SARS2 will roll into our seasonal cold and flu strains we already have.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
From my seat, and galvanized by my discussion with my double PhD buddy from Merck last Tuesday after I got my first dose, COVID is here to stay. Obviously not in the numbers we are and have seen over the last 12 months. But I'm not sure it will ever be a zero thing (or at least in the foreseeable future). This isn't Yellow Fever, Polio and to some extent (until recently, sigh) Measles, where vaccines have eliminated a virus in the US. Booster shots every couple of years seem likely as well.

It seems like a near certainly that COVID-SARS2 will roll into our seasonal cold and flu strains we already have.
oh, definitely.

And just like we get the flu vaccine, bombard a "cold" with zinc-laden products, don't go to the hospital the first time we throw up, and now get prescribed Tamiflu etal, then we will do similar for Covid. It does have a death rate of just 0.4% under 65 y/o and 0.12% under 50.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
oh, definitely.

And just like we get the flu vaccine, bombard a "cold" with zinc-laden products, don't go to the hospital the first time we throw up, and now get prescribed Tamiflu etal, then we will do similar for Covid. It does have a death rate of just 0.4% under 65 y/o and 0.12% under 50.
As my mom used to say (worked in Medical Industry then went payee side later in life).... They don't call it the "Practice of Medicine" for nothing.

Therapies, treatments, Medical SOPs etc will provide mitigating factors moving forward (and in some cases, already have)....which is the natural lifecycle of basically every illness in human history.

New virus/sickness -> F's up everything for awhile -> Experts figure out how to cure/treat it -> Life moves on in an adjusted way.

My paternal grandfather died in 1986 of a disease that has north of a 90% survivability rate today. We fail, we learn, we adjust....hopefully anyway.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:27 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I understand not wanting to get sick but IMO one is better off long term going the way of letting your immune system do the dirty work, unless it's so bad you bleed from your ears when getting a flu. Those people lost the genetic lottery.

I got the flu once; it sucked, and I'll be honest, I am rethinking the yearly flu shot. I may do it. Reading about the internal inflammation that happens when you get flus (the regular one and super ones like Covid) and the damage it can do, does make me pause.
The flu shot is generally as good as the predictions about the strain. Personally I hate being laid up and ill...whether or not I "have" to go in to work. Nothing irritates me more than not being able to do what I want to do because I feel like garbage. If it prevents one missed fishing outing or one missed walk with the dogs its worth it to me.

Quote:
Oh, 100%. I'm not looking to "avoid getting sick ever ever ever again". Just merely a means to mitigate the chances, which during a couple of months a year (again post COVID) isn't too much to take on for me.
Just curious, would you go to a crowded concert (post covid) during flu season? I get where you're coming from. At the same time I think that everyone has their little carveouts, exceptions they'll make for themselves, (Covid largely proved some of this) and that's where they end up getting sick.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Just curious, would you go to a crowded concert (post covid) during flu season? I get where you're coming from. At the same time I think that everyone has their little carveouts, exceptions they'll make for themselves, (Covid largely proved some of this) and that's where they end up getting sick.
Good question. Admittedly most of the shows I go to are outdoors and as such I wouldn't think about flu (although that isn't to say that I couldn't get the flu from someone outside at Walnut Creek or similar).

I will say I haven't sat in a restaurant in over a year and the only concerts I have seen I have put the projector and screen in the backyard and had friends over to watch. There is absolutely going to be an "adjustment back to the normal I used to not spend a second thinking about preCOVID" for me.

In the last year I have hung out with friends in the "circle of trust". Gone on short vaca's with those people. Gone to kids Bdays with those people. Gone to Breweries and sat outside with those people while the kids run around. On the other side, I have cut out a huge swath of my "PreCOVID Friends" because in the last year, they have and continue to show poor decision making abilities and I'm sorta all set.

Like if you're rolling into a local watering hole, mask less and then sending the neighborhood dads a picture of you doing that with the caption "OH....I shouldn't be doing this you say? "....then there really isn't much you're bringing to my life and I'm all set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary