Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 09:30 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You realize we'll have enough vaccinations for everyone in the entire US by the end of 2Q right without Pfizer, right?In no way was declining Pfizer a failure IMO. If you look at what every other country is doing, they are doing what the US has done.

It's notable that countries are now opting more for the Moderna vaccine over Pfizer. Pfizer was first which is why they are getting the news now. Actually, the one with the most orders is AstraZeneca, although it has yet to get approval. J&J is another contender, and the UK has ordered 2.5x more of it than of Pfizers'.
The fact that they tried to order more tells me otherwise and I don't think I'm alone in that. Again, only time will tell. Let's meet back here at the end of the second quarter and see.

Quote:
But several officials knowledgeable about the contracts said that supplies from other companies may be insufficient to fill the gap.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...e-doses-trump/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 09:38 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
A good summary of how messed up our testing still is:

https://www.carolinajournal.com/opin...ly-even-cases/
and you truly have to wonder if the CDC, FDA, and other world health outfits and epidemiologists say "you should change" that nobody is changing.

we should be testing and helping nursing homes every single day, if necessary. Weekly at the least. Test at-risk school employees to make them feel better. Put 80% of the resources where 80% of the problem is.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Not arguing, just wondering where the information is found that says the vast majority is asymptomatic and non-contagious? Wouldn’t the vast majority of people going in for tests be doing so because the feel they have symptoms? I honestly don’t know, that is why I am asking.

How much contact tracing is really happening?
My wife has been tested 3x, all as required by her work:

*once before they'd open back up in-office
*1 because someone tested positive; they neveer developed symptoms, so they could have been one of the possible majority 90%

*one because someone else at work had an adult child test positive (but remains asymptomatic 10 days after the test)

Old 12-08-2020, 09:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
The fact that they tried to order more tells me otherwise and I don't think I'm alone in that. Again, only time will tell. Let's meet back here at the end of the second quarter and see.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...e-doses-trump/
Back when they placed the original orders, they ordered from six different companies to spread their risk around. EVERY OTHER country did the same thing (look at the UK for example) save for a few smaller ones.

Why place significant bets on something you don't know will work?

If you delve deeper and lose the knee-jerk bias, you'll find what they did was what "the experts" recommended. Keep reading that article you posted, don't stop after the first paragraph.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Not arguing, just wondering where the information is found that says the vast majority is asymptomatic and non-contagious? Wouldn’t the vast majority of people going in for tests be doing so because the feel they have symptoms? I honestly don’t know, that is why I am asking.

How much contact tracing is really happening?
to add-on, if the vast majority getting tested had symptoms, then we'd have much higher than 10% positivity.

Without being voluntary (a tracker on your phone), you cannot contact trace 70K people (NC active cases). You can't even track them if it were a realistic 10K (80% > 30 cycles positive) unless it's voluntary.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Seeing what other countries and the EU ordered in comparison says a lot. Now we're on the waitlist till summer. Yet another failure of the man who shall remain nameless. Hopefully what we may get from other manufacturers will be enough to get a significant amount of the population vaccinated ASAP.
EU ordered 200MM doses (100MM people) for a 445MM population; they don't expect to receive doses until our 100MM is fulfilled. The 300MM figure includes their options.
UK ordered 40MM doses (20MM people) for a 63MM population. They may get 10MM this year since we haven't approved yet. If you were Pfizer, wouldn't you push every dose to UK you could until the FDA actually approves you?

and the EU and UK ordered AFTER Pfizer released the great results (November). We ordered late July, before the first trials were complete.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:58 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you delve deeper and lose the knee-jerk bias, you'll find what they did was what "the experts" recommended. Keep reading that article you posted, don't stop after the first paragraph.
Don't worry, I did not stop at the first paragraph, and I don't have a reading comprehension problem. I am glad you are pleased with the Trump administration's handling of things. I think they dropped the ball. 'Nuff said.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Don't worry, I did not stop at the first paragraph, and I don't have a reading comprehension problem. I am glad you are pleased with the Trump administration's handling of things. I think they dropped the ball. 'Nuff said.
How did they drop the ball? We have enough coming to vaccinate everyone who wants it. Pfizer couldn't deliver the additional orders until 2Q as we've already bought up their initial supply and by then we already had enough scheduled supply of better, more viable vaccines. It was unnecessary. Let it go to the other countries who need it vs stockpiling it here in the US IMO. No need to horde. This isn't TP.

As it is, half the country has said they won't get it, at least initially, so my guess is we're going to have vaccines sitting unused especially as summer comes and cases drop off a cliff.

You may not have a reading comp issue but you are letting your hatred for those in charge cloud your logical reasoning here.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:43 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
My wife has been tested 3x, all as required by her work:

*once before they'd open back up in-office
*1 because someone tested positive; they neveer developed symptoms, so they could have been one of the possible majority 90%

*one because someone else at work had an adult child test positive (but remains asymptomatic 10 days after the test)
That easily explains why the percentage of positives are not higher - random testing. But those that are going to be tested on their own or through a Dr's orders and test positive, why are they thought to be asymptomatic and non-contagious? That doesn't make sense to me. Why would someone that is asymptomatic go in for testing? You are saying that the majority of people testing positive are from the random testing population?

Where are you finding this information? that is what I would like to see. I want to see this data.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:53 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
That easily explains why the percentage of positives are not higher - random testing. But those that are going to be tested on their own or through a Dr's orders and test positive, why are they thought to be asymptomatic and non-contagious? That doesn't make sense to me. Why would someone that is asymptomatic go in for testing? You are saying that the majority of people testing positive are from the random testing population?

Where are you finding this information? that is what I would like to see. I want to see this data.
There are boatloads of reasons that asymptomatic people get tested. Many get tested prior to traveling or prior to seeing people. Many people's jobs require them to get tested. Many people have anxiety and get tested every time they feel like they may feel something funny. Kids have to get tested if they get sent home from school for ANY symptom whether it's a covid symptom or not. Anyone entering a hospital gets tested. People who have had covid continue to get tested to see if their results turn negative, even though they may not have symptoms anymore. I have a friend from another state that gets tested 3 times a week just because their work provides it.

Tons of asymptomatic people get tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary