Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 08:51 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
They're already testing the Pfizer vaccine on 12+ and will be continuing to test it on younger children over the next months and into the spring. I believe Moderna either is or will shortly be testing their vaccine on those under 18. And yes, there will be a need to vaccinate children, particularly older children, to protect not only them but us all.
...but "us all" can get the vaccine if we want. This is different than the flu and other diseases which are very dangerous to children. Not necessarily saying that children should never be vaccinated, but I wouldn't blame parents who didn't want to run out and vaccinate their kids for covid right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 09:23 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
...but "us all" can get the vaccine if we want. This is different than the flu and other diseases which are very dangerous to children. Not necessarily saying that children should never be vaccinated, but I wouldn't blame parents who didn't want to run out and vaccinate their kids for covid right away.
"Us all" is particularly important in regard to herd immunity and schools re-opening. Right now, it seems we'll have one or more vaccines ready to go for children by spring or summer. I'm hopeful that means kids can go back to school in-person in a more normal way next fall amongst other things hopefully getting back to at least sort of normal.

It's totally normal and expected that parents might be concerned and may have a lot of questions. The important thing from a public health standpoint is to make sure people have accurate information so they can make an informed choice and not be swayed by fearrmongering, conspiracy theories, and debunked claims.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:12 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
"Us all" is particularly important in regard to herd immunity and schools re-opening. Right now, it seems we'll have one or more vaccines ready to go for children by spring or summer. I'm hopeful that means kids can go back to school in-person in a more normal way next fall amongst other things hopefully getting back to at least sort of normal.

It's totally normal and expected that parents might be concerned and may have a lot of questions. The important thing from a public health standpoint is to make sure people have accurate information so they can make an informed choice and not be swayed by fearrmongering, conspiracy theories, and debunked claims.
Practically speaking, it's a lot more important to get the 53 year old teacher with a few long term health concerns vaccinated than the 30 young'uns in her class.

The fewer people likely to get really knocked down by it, the less concerning it is.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Practically speaking, it's a lot more important to get the 53 year old teacher with a few long term health concerns vaccinated than the 30 young'uns in her class.
Of course it's more important right now to get older people vaccinated hence prioritizing people. But it is also important to get as many people vaccinated as possible, and that will be critical in getting our society up and running again. This isn't really controversial, and I'm not sure the point in trying to debate it.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:54 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
I guess if you vaccinate that 53 yr old teacher, you've essentially covered her and the 30 kids until the vaccine is easily available.

in other news ...

Last week, 15.5% of cases were 65+
week before, 16.2% were
average since the beginning: 13.9%

What are we doing?

Old 12-10-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I guess if you vaccinate that 53 yr old teacher, you've essentially covered her and the 30 kids until the vaccine is easily available.
That's not how it works, although I agree that the 53 year old is at higher risk and should be higher on the priority list. I'd be beyond shocked to see schools opening full in-person particularly at the middle and high school level until a vaccine is approved for children and they have time to administer it widely.

Also of critical importance is making sure the 53 year old and other adults feel comfortable getting the vaccine. Given the amount of hysteria and misinformation out there, it's something that will have to be actively worked on. If not, we run the risk of either not reaching herd immunity or having a two-tiered society. It's also important to note that not everyone is a good candidate for vaccines and herd immunity is especially critical for them.

Sorry if I'm boring anyone, but someone up thread asked about it, and I thought the poll was interesting. It wasn't my intent to post on and on about it, but if I'm quoted and someone challenges what I've said I'm going to reply.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:16 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
That's not how it works, although I agree that the 53 year old is at higher risk and should be higher on the priority list. I'd be beyond shocked to see schools opening full in-person particularly at the middle and high school level until a vaccine is approved for children and they have time to administer it widely.

Also of critical importance is making sure the 53 year old and other adults feel comfortable getting the vaccine. Given the amount of hysteria and misinformation out there, it's something that will have to be actively worked on. If not, we run the risk of either not reaching herd immunity or having a two-tiered society. It's also important to note that not everyone is a good candidate for vaccines and herd immunity is especially critical for them.
Once there's a vaccine available for all adults and they've been given a reasonable amount of time to get it, nothing should be closed. Period. Especially schools.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:27 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Oh, I didn't mean to infer we might require the hospitals to use their existing frontline staff, or likely any staff at all.

We're (state of NC, likely using CARES money) paying 1,300 as contact tracers. I'd think the hospitalized would be the most important to get that info from since they're clearly the infectious when they arrive.

I'd point out that it's another reason to test to the proper # of cycles to begin also. It's impossible for 1,300 people to effectively work contact tracing even 2,600 cases a day, nevermind the 4K we're getting positives for right now.

True, other than treatment providers at the hospital, I haven't seen any other type of staff trying to figure anything out.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:45 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:

Sorry if I'm boring anyone, but someone up thread asked about it, and I thought the poll was interesting. It wasn't my intent to post on and on about it, but if I'm quoted and someone challenges what I've said I'm going to reply.
With a vaccine heard immunity is moot. Those who want to be protected can be, with the associated (low) risk of side effects. Therefore, what others do really has no effect on them or society as a whole.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Once there's a vaccine available for all adults and they've been given a reasonable amount of time to get it, nothing should be closed. Period. Especially schools.
But as we’ve seen already this year, what should be and what is are not always the same thing. But whatever the case, I think this is sort of a moot point anyway given the timeline of things to come. It looks like a vaccine is likely to be approved at least for older kids if not all by spring or summer, and I don’t think most public high schools or even middle schools in this area will be open before that anyway, at least not for full in-person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary