Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 08:45 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Since I'm not a scientist, I simply cannot understand how we haven't developed the right anti-body tests before now, and how they haven't been administered in an effective manner.

But since we've dragged our feet on this, it seems to me we should be testing the previously hospitalized patients first. We know how severe their illness was, and some good demographics on them. So how do April hospitalizations test for antibodies today? June? August? October?

What does THAT info show us?

We shouldn't have to wait 60 or 90 days for vaccine recipients to take their 2nd round, and determine THEIR immunity. For goodness sakes, those people are in theory immune for at least 90 days.
Developing a test for COVID antibodies and developing a test for COVID Spike Protein Antibodies are not the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 05:17 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Wake County continues to do very well, averaging around 300 cases per day. Being that the vast majority of these cases are asymptomatic and non-contagious, it really is a very low number of actual infectious cases. Hopefully we can keep it this way.
Not arguing, just wondering where the information is found that says the vast majority is asymptomatic and non-contagious? Wouldn’t the vast majority of people going in for tests be doing so because the feel they have symptoms? I honestly don’t know, that is why I am asking.

How much contact tracing is really happening?

Old 12-07-2020, 05:36 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,608,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Wake County continues to do very well, averaging around 300 cases per day. Being that the vast majority of these cases are asymptomatic and non-contagious, it really is a very low number of actual infectious cases. Hopefully we can keep it this way.
Are you saying that because they are asymptomatic they aren't contagious?

That's incorrect.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:43 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Are you saying that because they are asymptomatic they aren't contagious?

That's incorrect.
Nope. I'm saying that a large portion of people that test positive are asymptomatic and non-contagious.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:13 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,513 times
Well I was all excited when I saw the story about the first person, a 91 year old grandmother, in the UK to get the Pfizer vaccine. Then I saw this story about the US administration passing up the opportunity this past summer to order more of it and now they can't.

Quote:
According the New York Times and the Washington Post, Pfizer urged the administration’s vaccine development project Operation Warp Speed to buy 200 million doses late this summer, enough for 100 million Americans to be vaccinated with the two doses required. Warp Speed officials declined the recommendation, choosing to purchase half that amount. “Anyone who wanted to sell us … without an [FDA] approval, hundreds of millions of doses back in July and August, was just not going to get the government’s money,” a senior administration official told the Washington Post.

When federal officials contacted Pfizer last weekend to buy another 100 million doses after the company was able to prove its shot was 95 percent effective against the virus, the Post reports that the pharmaceutical firm said it would not be able to provide those amounts until the summer because other countries had already placed orders. Those nations include Canada, Australia, Chile, and the U.K., though the European Union was the largest buyer, with 300 million doses.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...es-report.html

Old 12-08-2020, 07:32 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post

Originally Posted by m378

Not arguing, just wondering where the information is found that says the vast majority is asymptomatic and non-contagious? Wouldn’t the vast majority of people going in for tests be doing so because the feel they have symptoms? I honestly don’t know, that is why I am asking.

How much contact tracing is really happening?
Reposting for an answer

Old 12-08-2020, 07:54 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Well I was all excited when I saw the story about the first person, a 91 year old grandmother, in the UK to get the Pfizer vaccine. Then I saw this story about the US administration passing up the opportunity this past summer to order more of it and now they can't.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...es-report.html
Logistically Pfizer's vaccine is a nightmare. It was fine to order some to cover us as other vaccines roll in but some can be stored in a fridge for 30 days vs -100*F. That might work for larger cities with the capacity but not for most of America that lives in a more rural environment (ie places like Louisburg, Rocky Mount, etc). The US has purchased 50m vaccinations (2x doses) from Moderna with the option to buy another 200m. Between that and Pfizer, we're at 300m doses. The population of the us is 350m or so, including small children, how many more do we need right away?

This is, IMO, a hit piece on the admin which for all intents and purposes, has played this part of the pandemic 100% correct. Outside of small island nations, every other country has experienced surges just like the US except for China which is able to track and control its population in ways most cannot. Furthermore, states are fully in control here, not the feds, who shut down international travel from China back in January. Nobody knew China has been seeding Europe for potentially months.

This is an interesting article on the vaccine process. The Moderna vaccine was completed Jan 13. Yes, a year ago. Our regulatory process is insanely cumbersome and outdated...given the choice, how many would've voluntarily taken this on their own? The approach used makes sense in normal times, not when hundreds of thousands are dying a year in this country alone.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...ne-design.html

Old 12-08-2020, 08:06 AM

773 posts, read 647,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

This is an interesting article on the vaccine process. The Moderna vaccine was completed Jan 13. Yes, a year ago. Our regulatory process is insanely cumbersome and outdated...given the choice, how many would've voluntarily taken this on their own? The approach used makes sense in normal times, not when hundreds of thousands are dying a year in this country alone.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...ne-design.html
From the article:

"Could things have moved faster from design to deployment? ...probably not."

Proving that a vaccine is safe and effective isn't a cumbersome regulatory process, its common sense and vitally important.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:49 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Logistically Pfizer's vaccine is a nightmare. It was fine to order some to cover us as other vaccines roll in but some can be stored in a fridge for 30 days vs -100*F. That might work for larger cities with the capacity but not for most of America that lives in a more rural environment (ie places like Louisburg, Rocky Mount, etc). The US has purchased 50m vaccinations (2x doses) from Moderna with the option to buy another 200m. Between that and Pfizer, we're at 300m doses. The population of the us is 350m or so, including small children, how many more do we need right away?
While storage issue may present challenges, particularly in rural areas, I wouldn't consider it a nightmare especially since the vast majority of the US population is not in rural areas. And the fact that the administration tried to order more should indicate that the storage issue is manageable and that we needed more doses.

Seeing what other countries and the EU ordered in comparison says a lot. Now we're on the waitlist till summer. Yet another failure of the man who shall remain nameless. Hopefully what we may get from other manufacturers will be enough to get a significant amount of the population vaccinated ASAP.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:20 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
While storage issue may present challenges, particularly in rural areas, I wouldn't consider it a nightmare especially since the vast majority of the US population is not in rural areas. And the fact that the administration tried to order more should indicate that the storage issue is manageable and that we needed more doses.

Seeing what other countries and the EU ordered in comparison says a lot. Now we're on the waitlist till summer. Yet another failure of the man who shall remain nameless. Hopefully what we may get from other manufacturers will be enough to get a significant amount of the population vaccinated ASAP.
It's a formidable challenge to keep it that cold and why they've only sold limited doses worldwide.

We'll have enough vaccinations for everyone in the entire US by the end of 2Q without Pfizer. In no way was declining Pfizer a failure IMO. If you look at what every other country is doing, they are doing what the US has done. What Pfizer offered was their 2Q manufacturing - the US has already bought their 1Q - and by then we'll have plenty of other choices being manufactured and ready to be administered.

It's notable that countries are now opting more for the Moderna vaccine over Pfizer. Pfizer was first which is why they are getting the news now. Actually, the one with the most orders is AstraZeneca, although it has yet to get approval. J&J is another contender, and the UK has ordered 2.5x more of it than of Pfizers'.

This is a stupid nothingburger hit piece to get folks who don't bother to read up on it riled up.

Last edited by wheelsup; 12-08-2020 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary