Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 08:26 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
That's sort a big assumption on your part especially since you don't know anything about me. And you seem to be making a lot of assumptions which is your prerogative. Like I said, you have your opinion, I have mine. Calling people illogical or lazy readers is poor form. Have at it though. I'm done. Peace.
Two good articles out of the UK today.
  1. Folks with severe allergies requiring an epi-pen should use caution taking the Pfizer vaccination, it causes a nasty reaction. Hence why the smart countries bought from multiple vendors.
  2. "Rich" countries are hoarding the vaccine, Canada has bought enough to cover 5x its population (just as I mentioned).

Looks like not ordering hundreds of millions more of Pfizer was indeed the right call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 09:26 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Cohen/Cooper didn't seem overly concerned about hospitals at yesterday's press conference. More concerned about closing restaurants at 10pm for some reason even though that's really not the source of the problem.

Below are the graphs for CapRAC (Triangle). Yes there's a slight increase but I would have to assume there's a slight increase at this time of year every year. Again hospitals exist to make money, so it doesn't make sense for them to run with tons of empty beds, especially ICU beds. ICU's are almost always near capacity. I think staffing levels are probably the bigger concern, as more and more need to quarantine, unfortunately maybe unnecessarily due to how we test.

I haven't heard anything about hospitals stopping elective surgeries like they did at the beginning of the pandemic. It's possible I just missed the news.

Not discounting that there's an increase in hospitalizations that we definitely need to keep an eye on, but I think that WRAL article was a bit much, and a little coincidental that it came out 2 hours before Cooper's press conference.
WRAL's data was reported by folks from Duke and UNC and was specific to the Triangle. The Governor's press conference was dealing with statistics state wide. TBH, I think Cooper is trying to balance the economy and close things in way that does not totally destroy the economic rally the holiday season provides and balance that out with cutting down on holiday gatherings. After the holidays he might entertain a bigger shut down if the numbers warrant it.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:13 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I wonder how many of the 2,440 in the hospital they've gathered enough info to make an educated guess how they contracted the virus, and compiled and disseminated that info.

Seems kind of basic and easy to me, but I'm not a scientist.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:30 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I wonder how many of the 2,440 in the hospital they've gathered enough info to make an educated guess how they contracted the virus, and compiled and disseminated that info.

The hospitals don't have time to do that. That's up to more state or federal governments to help with this. I can tell you this, the now over 135 inpatient COVID-19 we have now in our hospital (which is double the number 1.5 weeks ago), are very sick and cannot be discharged right away. Do we have time to figure that out? No, we have enough trouble making sure these patients are treated in a correct way.

The biggest issue? The Trump admin F'ed this up in March, downplaying this entire issue, making Americans against each other, and here we are now.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:34 PM

773 posts, read 646,355 times
Hospitalizations now over 2,400 (more than double from a month ago) with a positive test rate of nearly 12%.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
The hospitals don't have time to do that. That's up to more state or federal governments to help with this. I can tell you this, the now over 135 inpatient COVID-19 we have now in our hospital (which is double the number 1.5 weeks ago), are very sick and cannot be discharged right away. Do we have time to figure that out? No, we have enough trouble making sure these patients are treated in a correct way.
Oh, I didn't mean to infer we might require the hospitals to use their existing frontline staff, or likely any staff at all.

We're (state of NC, likely using CARES money) paying 1,300 as contact tracers. I'd think the hospitalized would be the most important to get that info from since they're clearly the infectious when they arrive.

I'd point out that it's another reason to test to the proper # of cycles to begin also. It's impossible for 1,300 people to effectively work contact tracing even 2,600 cases a day, nevermind the 4K we're getting positives for right now.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:03 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

Anecdotal, but speaking to a Nurse, most of them do know who they got it from; Cousin Mel or whoever tested positive and called and told everyone that had joined at Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:49 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
To follow up a little more about willingness to take the vaccine, according to a poll I saw reported on the news last night, it seems willingness to take a COVID vaccine falls along gender and party lines in addition to racial lines which previous polls have indicated. Apparently Republican women are currently significantly less likely to take a vaccine than men and Democrats. The poll showed that, when asked, the following would take a COVID vaccine if/when available:

34% of Republican women
61% of Republican men
70% of Democratic women
85% of Democratic men
71% of Independent women
62% of Independent men
https://www.newsweek.com/gop-women-m...n-poll-1553700

Given that previous polling has repeatedly shown that women make the vast majority of healthcare decisions for their families, the fact that only 34% of Republican women would take a vaccine may indicate they would be less likely to vaccinate their children as well. This isn't that surprising though given that vaccines have become increasingly politicized and there is so much misinformation out there.

So with that, it seems to increase overall willingness to take a COVID vaccine to ensure we reach herd immunity, it'll be necessary to specifically target Republican women along with other previously identified groups with accurate relatable information. Given the breakdown of NC and the Triangle area, this is going to be particularly important and something state and local leaders and especially healthcare providers should be paying attention to. Since willingness to take a COVID vaccine was higher in the spring, it seems pretty doable to increase compliance since it seems opinion is at least somewhat fluid on this issue.

interesting read - https://morningconsult.com/2020/09/1...e-public-poll/

Old 12-10-2020, 07:52 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Realistically is there even a need to vaccinate children? As it is it hasn't even been tested on children yet so won't be available for quite some time.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:59 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Realistically is there even a need to vaccinate children? As it is it hasn't even been tested on children yet so won't be available for quite some time.
They're already testing the Pfizer vaccine on 12+ and will be continuing to test it on younger children over the next months and into the spring. I believe Moderna either is or will shortly be testing their vaccine on those under 18. And yes, there will be a need to vaccinate children, particularly older children, to protect not only them but us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary