Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2021, 08:06 AM

7,191 posts, read 6,843,673 times

Advertisements

The first Omicron case in the Triangle has been confirmed in Orange County.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/fir...unty/20039741/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 08:20 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,290,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post

Yeah I noticed that we're back to the news reporting on every single case that shows up in the state.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:55 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,063,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post

The model released by the COVSIM modelling team at UNC, NC State and GA Tech yesterday painted a fairly bleak picture in terms of what Omicron could do to NC (basically provide the worst wave we have seen locally, which seemingly, we have never really had before; NC has always seemed like more a "slow burn" with COVID over the last two years compared to other states)

Having said that my two questions.

1. What is going on to cause basically a vertical increase in Omicron cases and then almost as quickly, a near vertical equal decline? Is there something we are missing with this variant?

2. Has Omicron continued to remain a more mild variant in terms of hospitalizations and death? Denmark and the UK had some massive increases in hospitalizations. Have those stabilized?

I did love the Swanson seafood heir comparing Prostate Cancer to COVID this week. Christ you'd think someone of his esteem would realize the folly of comparing a genetic, non transmissible disease to a highly contagious, respiratory illness. Yet here we are!

Old 12-18-2021, 04:16 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,945,564 times
Breakout the KN-95’s

Old 12-19-2021, 08:17 AM

428 posts, read 225,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Yeah I noticed that we're back to the news reporting on every single case that shows up in the state.
If you aren’t yet boosted, I would encourage you to do so ASAP. https://www.yahoo.com/news/highly-va...154515101.html

Old 12-19-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
If you aren’t yet boosted, I would encourage you to do so ASAP. https://www.yahoo.com/news/highly-va...154515101.html
If I weren't already boosted, I can tell assure you that an article from Yahoo, or any other media outlet for that matter, would not be the decision maker.

Thanks for checking in on me though, I can feel the love.

The Omicron hospitalization rate is about 1.7% in South Africa, compared to Delta which was 19%. In Denmark the hospitalization rate has been around 1%. The panic we're currently seeing is unwarranted at the moment - all we can do is look at other countries for indication. Yes we should keep an eye on things, but we've been in this for far too long to have this type of panic.

Last edited by m378; 12-19-2021 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-19-2021, 09:21 AM

370 posts, read 231,789 times
Quote:
Yep it's like we're starting all over again. WRAL has learned that COVID 19 isn't generating as much fear and clicking as "omicron" so it's being treated like it's something novel when it is in fact a run of the mill variant.

I'm so sick and tired of performative masking up and the monkey see, monkey do behavior. Too many people are just going with the flow in either direction. I just ran into a group of people I know at a bar. They were not masked up because no one else was. Their social media tells a completely different story. Wearing a mask for so many people is just keeping up appearances.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:48 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,346,152 times
Quote:
If I weren't already boosted, I can tell assure you that an article from Yahoo, or any other media outlet for that matter, would not be the decision maker.

Thanks for checking in on me though, I can feel the love.

The Omicron hospitalization rate is about 1.7% in South Africa, compared to Delta which was 19%. In Denmark the hospitalization rate has been around 1%. The panic we're currently seeing is unwarranted at the moment - all we can do is look at other countries for indication. Yes we should keep an eye on things, but we've been in this for far too long to have this type of panic.
Your advice is flawed: All from the article linked.
The Netherlands imposed a snap lockdown starting Sunday. France banned New Year’s Eve fireworks. Officials in Ireland imposed a nightly curfew from Monday, requiring pubs, restaurants, theaters and cinemas to close by 8 p.m. Several European countries including France and Germany imposed new travel restrictions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...nds-australia/

I am not saying we should have a lockdown. This country could burst into flames if one was suggested but I am amazed at people's absolute inability to find the middle. They go from wiping their produce with Clorox wipes to having parties with anyone, anywhere and these are not even the folks spewing that giving children the COVID vaccine equals child abuse. I agree we should not panic but at the same time, some caution and common sense would be nice. There are area in the US were hospitals are strained.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Your advice is flawed: All from the article linked.
The Netherlands imposed a snap lockdown starting Sunday. France banned New Year’s Eve fireworks. Officials in Ireland imposed a nightly curfew from Monday, requiring pubs, restaurants, theaters and cinemas to close by 8 p.m. Several European countries including France and Germany imposed new travel restrictions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...nds-australia/

I am not saying we should have a lockdown. This country could burst into flames if one was suggested but I am amazed at people's absolute inability to find the middle. They go from wiping their produce with Clorox wipes to having parties with anyone, anywhere and these are not even the folks spewing that giving children the COVID vaccine equals child abuse. I agree we should not panic but at the same time, some caution and common sense would be nice. There are area in the US were hospitals are strained.
There are plenty of people in the middle - I am one of them. I have gotten three shots, I follow all mandates. I do not wear a mask in public places that don't have a mandate. I will however, wear a mask if I know I'm going to be in a small enclosed place with people i don't know. My kids are vaxxed - even though I think it's unnecessary, I did it for the "greater good".

However I refuse to give into the pure panic and hype that's been occurring over the past couple weeks with omicron. Until I hear otherwise about actual statistics, I'm still of the opinion that we should be happy to see Omicron, a variant with potentially far lower hospitalization and death rates. This would mean the virus is doing what viruses do, and could likely a hint that Covid is becoming something that we will no longer need to worry about (if people ever let that happen).

Yes stats show that Omicron is extremely contagious, but if vaccines do what everyone says they do, then as a vaccinated person I am not scared of being mildly sick for a few days, even if I do get a breakthrough.

The places in the US with high hospitalizations right now are likely full of Delta patients. Covid is seasonal - the cooler weather states are seeing their surge, the same one that the warmer states saw earlier in the year. Note that the southeast is doing far better statistics-wise currently than the reset of the country (even Florida). It's a seasoal virus, and seems to be bi-seasonal, two waves per year. It's something we will have to deal with forever - we can't continue this rollercoaster of panic.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:48 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,616,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
I'm so sick and tired of performative masking up and the monkey see, monkey do behavior. Too many people are just going with the flow in either direction. I just ran into a group of people I know at a bar. They were not masked up because no one else was. Their social media tells a completely different story. Wearing a mask for so many people is just keeping up appearances.
I do agree that it's performative for some and I have been guilty of that at times (post vaccine, pre-omicron, was maybe too comfortable). However - we need to mask. So it shouldn't be performative. While the omicron symptoms are mild for most vaccinated people, the unvaxxed are being hospitalized for COVID (I don't know what variant) and resources are stretched to breaking again. Healthcare providers are living a nightmare. Non-COVID procedures are being put off and there are consequences.

We still need to mask. Would sure help if people got vaccinated and got those boosters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary