Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2022, 10:18 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
And yes, it's pretty freaking sad to see these stories of newborns with COVID. I can't imagine being a new parent, and trying to figure out of the hardest job on the planet that comes with no manual or training, and dealing with COVID on top of it all. What a ****ty, helpless feeling that must be.
My cousin and his wife are/were very worried. Their baby isn't even two months old.

The parents are both vaccinated but I don't know if they are boosted (they may be, I just don't know). They think he got it at work on the 26th. He doesn't have a position where he can work from home, like so many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 11:14 AM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
What's amazing (to me) is that link to the Fauci testing story on ABC (abcnews.go.com/Politics/fauc...ry?id=82032243) is categorized as *politics*.

Science & Medicine are considered political now.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:27 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Yes, cases are breaking records left and right. My only pause is....hospitalizations trail cases by 2-4 weeks? Omicron has confirmed been here since 12/1 ish. NY and FL have both smashed their positivity and case numbers.

Again, I am not arguing from a diametrically opposed position. More of a "could we pump the enthusiasm just a smidge?"

Ya the "with COVID" thing I had seen and agree, as I did in the last two years, that going to the hospital cuz you broke your leg, and you test positive, shouldn't be a "COVID Hospitalization"....the categorization has been F'd from the start and, as we saw in the last two years, when you muddy the stats, you get people to disregard/disengage.

At a time, when it seems like we are finally getting close to the "end" (fully realizing that the end in this case simply means a new seasonal virus we contend the rest of our lives with) clarity and accountability are paramount to get us through this gate (and if there is the next variant that takes the best of Omicron and makes it deadlier/more hospital-ly (virulent?), then lets reconnoiter)
Hospitalizations have generally trailed by 2-4 DAYS, not weeks. It's deaths that have generally peaked 3 weeks behind cases.

Is not the concern with all variants of Covid the breathing/oxygen levels? The other symptoms are like a bad cold/flu, which can and should be treated at home? I'd think the fever would be the greatest concern with a newborn, along with hydration, but I'm obviously not a doc.

Here's the ER Doc's tweet who became internet-famous on the 26th. Consistently talks about breathing/oxygen as the demarcation.

https://twitter.com/Craig_A_Spencer/...25900766031874

Old 01-03-2022, 11:43 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Hospitalizations have generally trailed by 2-4 DAYS, not weeks. It's deaths that have generally peaked 3 weeks behind cases.

Is not the concern with all variants of Covid the breathing/oxygen levels? The other symptoms are like a bad cold/flu, which can and should be treated at home? I'd think the fever would be the greatest concern with a newborn, along with hydration, but I'm obviously not a doc.

Here's the ER Doc's tweet who became internet-famous on the 26th. Consistently talks about breathing/oxygen as the demarcation.

https://twitter.com/Craig_A_Spencer/...25900766031874
My bad. It thought there was a lapse (in terms of weeks) for hospitalizations as well, with deaths again lagged behind that. The 2-4 must be soup to nuts (case to hospitalization to deaths)

As for the rest, I don’t believe I have opined on what is or isn’t a symptom of concern. Just like I can’t move the needle on getting people vaxxed, I surely cant tell them when they should head for a hospital.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:46 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
What's amazing (to me) is that link to the Fauci testing story on ABC (abcnews.go.com/Politics/fauc...ry?id=82032243) is categorized as *politics*.

Science & Medicine are considered political now.
It has been since March 2020. And neither side of the aisle can be blamed - most of the blame can be put on the media.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
My bad. It thought there was a lapse (in terms of weeks) for hospitalizations as well, with deaths again lagged behind that. The 2-4 must be soup to nuts (case to hospitalization to deaths)

As for the rest, I don’t believe I have opined on what is or isn’t a symptom of concern. Just like I can’t move the needle on getting people vaxxed, I surely cant tell them when they should head for a hospital.
I don't think you've opined either. But the docs have...it wasn't a direct response to you.

And if the docs are opining on "when to seek medical care", then wouldn't it be nice if THAT was what the media story was.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:25 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,101 times
Quote:
I don't think you've opined either. But the docs have...it wasn't a direct response to you.

And if the docs are opining on "when to seek medical care", then wouldn't it be nice if THAT was what the media story was.
Gotcha gotcha gotcha.

I couldn’t tell where the “reply to me ended†and the general thoughts began.

Common sense, evidence based “expert insights†don’t sell ads or clicks….hence here we are

(Please note I agree with your point)

Old 01-03-2022, 04:49 PM

so, WRAL reported on testing tonight. One interviewee at Kidd Rd, one in Zebulon.

Kidd Rd - well, I was at a big gathering over the holidays, and I heard maybe a couple people got Covid, so I just wanted to test to be sure.

Zebulon - well, testing frequently is a good thing because that's how we know we're not infected.

IOW, neither KNEW they were exposed, neither were symptomatic nor otherwise convinced they might have Covid. Just testing for the sake of testing.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:12 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,924 times
Quote:
so, WRAL reported on testing tonight. One interviewee at Kidd Rd, one in Zebulon.

Kidd Rd - well, I was at a big gathering over the holidays, and I heard maybe a couple people got Covid, so I just wanted to test to be sure.

Zebulon - well, testing frequently is a good thing because that's how we know we're not infected.

IOW, neither KNEW they were exposed, neither were symptomatic nor otherwise convinced they might have Covid. Just testing for the sake of testing.
It sounds like the Kidd Rd folks had reason to believe they may have been exposed at a holiday gathering. I'd hope anyone planning on going back to work or school would have the sense to get tested as they did.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:39 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Coworker's mom is going through chemo and got covid. She really only leaves the house for her treatments. She has a boyfriend that comes on weekends, he got tested before coming last weekend, was negative. He tested positive a few days later and turns out he gave it to her that weekend. She's unable to get monoclonal antibodies because of the fed-induced "shortage".

The moral of the story is, asymptomatic testing really is kind of useless in a lot of cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary