Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2021, 02:11 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times

Advertisements

yes, no one knows what the long term effects of the vaccine will be.

the long term effects of merely contracting the virus. Being hospitalized because of the virus. How long antibodies will last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 02:33 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
because there is no current timeline that proves that this is a miracle drug that cures all the ails us with no downside.
So I am really glad that nobody's claiming that!

Old 05-04-2021, 05:07 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
while we're here, what ARE the drugs or vaccines that we didn't know whether they were good or bad until 10-20 years after approval?

Old 05-04-2021, 05:39 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
while we're here, what ARE the drugs or vaccines that we didn't know whether they were good or bad until 10-20 years after approval?
Not sure if this exactly answers your question but I know drugs for Alzheimer’s are notorious for failing very late in clinical trials…many years and decades into the process.

If you mean in recent history; we know of many treatments which were common but later found to be bad. Cocaine, morphine and opium were wildly available as tonics in the early 20th century. MDMA was a drug used for weight loss before ecstasy took it down a dark path (and now it’s back as a treatment for PTSD).

My dad, born in mid 50s was treated with Tetracycline for something in his youth and his teeth were destroyed by the time he was in his 50s.

I used to use generic Ranitidine to control my legendary acid reflux. Think that got pulled off the market last year some time. Plus isn’t there potentially a connection between Protein Pump Inhibitors (for acid reflux) and Dementia/Alzheimer’s?

Just spit balling here. ETA, alternatively could be completely missing your point Bo.

Last edited by GVoR; 05-04-2021 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-04-2021, 07:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Keep in mind this is the first ever large scale mRNA deployment in history.

"We don't know what we don't know"

It could be a nothingburger, or 10 years down the line we're turning into zombies.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:41 AM

1,204 posts, read 779,308 times
Quote:

It could be a nothingburger, or 10 years down the line we're turning into zombies.

You can say that about every vaccine in the history of humankind, can't you? I mean I'm sure when they came up with the smallpox people said the same thing -- "it's the first kind of a thing in history, we do not know what may happen!" And, it truly was the first one of its kind. This mRNA has gone so many trials before it was made available to us. The smallpox vaccine? Didn't he just inoculate some poor kid with it to prove that it worked? I am glad we have IRB now. That little kid could have died! I mean gawd, can you imagine people in 18th century getting that vaccine? I'd be like "you are going to inject the actual smallpox into me? You gotta be out of your freaking mind!" So the vaccine hesitancy is understandable, but the stupid conspiracy theories are not.

Additionally, mRNA is not brand new. People have been researching it for a while. I remember watching some feature back when they first found Zika about this new messenger RNA -- which sounded like a complete dream. This guy was giving a lecture saying we could have a single vaccine to take care of everything. I remember being blown away by the idea but also thought it probably won't happen for another 50 years. But, Covid literally pushed it and accelerated it. Anyway, I'm fully vaccinated, if I turn it into a zombie then so be it. Hopefully someone catches me before I eat my own spouse, studies my brain and figures out what went wrong.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,014 times
Quote:

You are right, we don't know. I also don't know how covid would affect me or my husband.

Believe me, I was one of those people that said I was going to wait on getting vaccinated because of the "unknowns". I'm already living with a couple autoimmune diseases, have had cancer twice and the thought of having even more issues in my every day life due to a vaccine that I could have avoided sounded like the logical thing to do.

But the more I thought about it the more I realized that if I had to toss a coin I would much rather deal with whatever this vaccine might throw at me if it could give me some meaningful time back with my children and grandchildren. I haven't even met the newest grandson because he was born last year during lockdowns (they are in California).

I would also rather deal with any potential short or long term side effects of the vaccine than deal with what might happen should I or my husband get Covid. Just the thought of one of us in a hospital without being able to see or touch family and then possibly passing away alone was enough for me (along with the above) for finally getting it.

It really is a #%&*shoot either way though.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
You can say that about every vaccine in the history of humankind, can't you? I mean I'm sure when they came up with the smallpox people said the same thing -- "it's the first kind of a thing in history, we do not know what may happen!" And, it truly was the first one of its kind. This mRNA has gone so many trials before it was made available to us. The smallpox vaccine? Didn't he just inoculate some poor kid with it to prove that it worked? I am glad we have IRB now. That little kid could have died! I mean gawd, can you imagine people in 18th century getting that vaccine? I'd be like "you are going to inject the actual smallpox into me? You gotta be out of your freaking mind!" So the vaccine hesitancy is understandable, but the stupid conspiracy theories are not.

Additionally, mRNA is not brand new. People have been researching it for a while. I remember watching some feature back when they first found Zika about this new messenger RNA -- which sounded like a complete dream. This guy was giving a lecture saying we could have a single vaccine to take care of everything. I remember being blown away by the idea but also thought it probably won't happen for another 50 years. But, Covid literally pushed it and accelerated it. Anyway, I'm fully vaccinated, if I turn it into a zombie then so be it. Hopefully someone catches me before I eat my own spouse, studies my brain and figures out what went wrong.
There is a lot of truth to many conspiracy theories.

Not that I believe them for this vaccine, but it's enlightening how much truth many of them actually foretell. The majority involve our government doing something for the right reason, however misguided, but which they fail to plan for the blowback.

It took seven years for the US government to switch out polio vaccines and stop using cancer causing agents, and by then 100 million Americans had gotten the vaccine.

Quote:
Results: Our analysis indicates increased rates of ependymomas (37%), osteogenic sarcomas (26%), other bone tumors (34%) and mesothelioma (90%) among those in the exposed as compared to the unexposed birth cohort.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:25 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
You are right, we don't know. I also don't know how covid would affect me or my husband.

Believe me, I was one of those people that said I was going to wait on getting vaccinated because of the "unknowns". I'm already living with a couple autoimmune diseases, have had cancer twice and the thought of having even more issues in my every day life due to a vaccine that I could have avoided sounded like the logical thing to do.

But the more I thought about it the more I realized that if I had to toss a coin I would much rather deal with whatever this vaccine might throw at me if it could give me some meaningful time back with my children and grandchildren. I haven't even met the newest grandson because he was born last year during lockdowns (they are in California).

I would also rather deal with any potential short or long term side effects of the vaccine than deal with what might happen should I or my husband get Covid. Just the thought of one of us in a hospital without being able to see or touch family and then possibly passing away alone was enough for me (along with the above) for finally getting it.

It really is a #%&*shoot either way though.
The risk of developing blood clots from the vaccines and big pharma being released from all legal liability is a no go for me. My risk of getting COVID now is no higher than it was before the vaccines. I also don't like the fact that any reported issues with the vaccines are quickly being dismissed or ignored for the sake of high pressure coercement to get the shots.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:53 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The risk of developing blood clots from the vaccines and big pharma being released from all legal liability is a no go for me. My risk of getting COVID now is no higher than it was before the vaccines. I also don't like the fact that any reported issues with the vaccines are quickly being dismissed or ignored for the sake of high pressure coercement to get the shots.
How do you even know about blood clots?! The media. That's how.

And aren't blood clots just from J&J? And they are pretty rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary