Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 09:38 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times

Advertisements

Couldn't find an easy way to extract, but you can scroll down to figure 3 here to get percent of race vaccinated by state:

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...ace-ethnicity/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 09:39 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I can tell you right now, that's not going to fly. I agree with you, but it's not going to fly in today's world.
Whether it "flies" in today's world or not, the reality is simply that ICU capacity is overloaded in several states, and people who need a bed are getting turned away. ICUs are full of unvaxxed people now, and there are more people who need critical care nursing than there are medical staff who can treat them. People are already dying who would have otherwise been able to get the necessary help. Triaging is a necessary step when there are more sick people than resources.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:19 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
I mentioned upthread I was contacted by DD's school about an exposure, but she was allowed to stay in school because she's vaxxed.

That was last Wednesday.

The health department JUST called and texted me about it. No wonder this virus won't stop spreading.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
There isn't one (I don't think).

1. People are dug in. To the point of threatening violence.
2. There are entire cottage industries now where people are getting insiders (pharmacists etc) to fraudulently enter people into the system with real vax lot numbers) and people are paying for "real fake" vax cards. There is a massive ring out of NYC and FL the FBI is already investigating.
3. Mandates are going to **** people off (although at this point I don't give a fug about that).
4. C12 has now made its presence known and seems to be on the horizon....lube up kids. Rinse, repeat.
I think we still have to figure how to encourage, not coerce.

I'm not going to lay the blame on "Black people" (and/or Hispanic), but if they're over-represented in catching Covid and bad outcomes, then they need to be as fully-vaxxed as the > 65 crowd who ... also needs to increase their vaccination, and get the boosters.

I do wonder how some feel about the Covid-positive but recovered < 65 crowd, since the information seems to show they have good levels of immunity, levels that may exceed vaccinated folks. Should they be denied medical coverage?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html

The CDC estimated 120MM as of 5/31/21 (their median figure, 103MM was the low figure). On that date, we had only reported 34MM. Without the 65+ (whose immunity seems to wane), it's about 90MM cases.

So we're talking ~60MM uncounted infections that likely have "good" immunity.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:33 AM

428 posts, read 223,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So now that we've had three pages of stating the obvious, what's everyone's suggestions to fix the vaccination issue?
Treat them like smokers?

Old 08-30-2021, 11:41 AM

People who have had covid are encouraged to get vaxxed before 6 months has elapsed, and some medical experts advise faster than that. Immunity only lasts so long, and over time it will wane.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Whether it "flies" in today's world or not, the reality is simply that ICU capacity is overloaded in several states, and people who need a bed are getting turned away. ICUs are full of unvaxxed people now, and there are more people who need critical care nursing than there are medical staff who can treat them. People are already dying who would have otherwise been able to get the necessary help. Triaging is a necessary step when there are more sick people than resources.
there are an unacceptable level of Covid patients in the ICU.

There are certainly hospitals that have completely-full ICU's on any given day. There are states that have an uncomfortable level of ICU usage. FL and TX for example show only 6% ICU availability. Alabama is exceeding capacity (overloaded), but I don't see (and welcome the education) any others > 100%.

Thankfully in NC, the hospitalized # is stabilizing, as are the ICU's and the daily admissions. But we are still seeing almost half the admissions > 65 yrs old.

So again, whether it's encouragement or communication, I'd sure like to think the 65+ unvaxxed in NC would want very specific language used - it's not just "hospitalization of the unvaxxed", it is "hospitalization of the 65+ and unvaxxed, or those who need boosters." Heck, they can add "if you're unvaxxed and get vaxxed now, you should have 6 months of good immunity and Covid may have gone way down again like it did in the spring."

Old 08-30-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

So agin, whether it's encouragement or communication, I'd sure like to think the 65+ unvaxxed in NC would want very specific language used - it's not just "hospitalization of the unvaxxed", it is "hospitalization of the 65+ and unvaxxed, or those who need boosters." Heck, they can add "if you're unvaxxed and get vaxxed now, you should have 6 months of good immunity and Covid may have gone way down again like it did in the spring."

People who refuse to get a vaccine usually won't respond to anything until or unless Covid hits them personally, either getting it themselves and having their health significantly impacted for longer than a month, or a losing a loved one. Personal impact has been what moves the needle to the other side. Otherwise, they just keep moving the goalposts no matter what. Whatabout-itis. Logic doesn't seem to penetrate.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:04 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,886 times
And, it begins. Duke just announced that all faculty and staff except for those with medical or religious exemptions must be vaccinated. Those who won't get vaccinated will be fired and will not be rehired. I am pretty sure other orgs will do the same soon.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
People who refuse to get a vaccine usually won't respond to anything until or unless Covid hits them personally, either getting it themselves and having their health significantly impacted for longer than a month, or a losing a loved one. Personal impact has been what moves the needle to the other side. Otherwise, they just keep moving the goalposts no matter what. Whatabout-itis. Logic doesn't seem to penetrate.
in the last 2 months, ~617K in NC have gotten their first shot - and that's months after everyone was eligible. Now, for us "pro-vax" folks, that's still way too low. But what if it was presented optimistically? "You are not alone."

There is a very small cadre of long-time "anti-vaxxers". They may have shown, over time, to exhibit behaviors just like you describe. But I for one am not ready to assume there's some multiple of that that are now suddenly anti-vax.

I do believe there's a strong contingent of "I had/think I had Covid, so I'm good to go." Whether that's accurate (lasting immunity) or not hasn't been shown. I googled and read a few articles, and there was nothing data-driven telling me immunity wanes among the < 65 crowd or the vaccine provides better immunity.

Your logic (or my logic) may not penetrate, but the question is what logic are they using?

Undoubtedly, there's some hardcore folks that have read confirmation-bias stories and so they aren't getting vaxxed. I just don't have any reason to believe that's ~ 30% of the adult population. Heck, we're probably ALL college-educated here, so it's no surprise we've gotten vaxxed at the highest rate of any demographic. But if we shove "see, we're smarter than you!" or "You're welcome, I'm vaxxed!" at the HS dropouts and HS degree holders (who trail us by 20 points) that are the majority of citizens, we're probably not going to make progress. We've got to understand why they haven't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary