Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2022, 10:05 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,313,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I didn't give my opinion on the goals just said they do indeed have goals, and they're based on NCDHHS and CDC guidance.

One of the board members made the point that the below 10 per 100,000 goal hasn't been met since the beginning of the pandemic and suggested looking at other criteria. It sounded like they'll be discussing that possibility since they have that option now.

For what it's worth, most districts in the state still have a mask requirement, and Wake's requirement isn't the most restrictive.
Ok, I guess I don't see the point of unrealistic goals.

I couldn't care less what other counties are doing. Wake is the biggest in the state and should lead by example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 10:06 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
My neighbor is like that. She's a teacher and about 95% of her class has had it at some point. The **** she has to deal with from parents is borderline psychotic. She's somehow avoided Covid herself so far but has gone from a very bright, chipper, and energetic educator a few years ago to now a pretty much "**** it all" / depressed person. She's probably about one more stupid conversation away from quitting.

It really is a shame how we treat those we trust with our children. Then how some people rail against them, like they know better and treat them like they're some kind of daycare service.

Just makes me sad overall. She's such a wonderful human and selfish idiots have basically crushed her love / good will to others.
Some labor economists were discussing this in a thread I was reading. Their prediction was, like this past year was the "Great Resignation"....that in a year or two that is going to move to the Educator/Doctor space and we will see an exodus from those professions too.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:56 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,837,252 times
If I reading the goal correctly (above) then they want fewer than 10 cases/100,000 per day based on a 7-day average. If that is the case, then Wake County did meet that requirement for most of May through July of 2021. Orange County was at that goal for slightly longer. Right now Wake is at about 160 cases/100K per day. And Orange is at about 85 cases/100K per day, based on a 7-day average.

I have a former neighbor from Northern Virginia who is a research scientist and has been doing all sorts of analyses on Covid over the past year on his blog. The other day he did some number crunching and came up with something like 16 cases/100K would be comparable to a regular flu season (in terms of contagiousness and severity). So if that is the case, the 10 cases sounds within reason.

ETA: I just looked at his blog, and he has revised his numbers. If vaccinated and boosted, he concludes that the risk is about the same as the flu at about 40 cases/100k per day. And he stated that many states are below 100 per at this point and should start thinking about return to normalcy. Now he is just some random guy with a PhD, but in case anyone is interested, here is his post and revisions: http://savemaple.org/2022/01/30/1400-4/

Like ITB, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the goal, but that board member was incorrect in saying that Wake County never met that goal.

Last edited by michgc; 02-02-2022 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-02-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If I reading the goal correctly (above) then they want fewer than 10 cases/100,000 per day based on a 7-day average. If that is the case, then Wake County did meet that requirement for most of May through July of 2021. Orange County was at that goal for slightly longer. Right now Wake is at about 160 cases/100K per day. And Orange is at about 85 cases/100K per day, based on a 7-day average.

I have a former neighbor from Northern Virginia who is a research scientist and has been doing all sorts of analyses on Covid over the past year on his blog. The other day he did some number crunching and came up with something like 16 cases/100K would be comparable to a regular flu season (in terms of contagiousness and severity). So if that is the case, the 10 cases sounds within reason.

Like ITB, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the goal, but that board member was incorrect in saying that Wake County never met that goal.
The thing is, we weren't doing nearly the amount of testing in 2021 as we are now.

It all comes down to the fact that we need to stop testing unless you need to go to the doctor. There is just zero good at this point that comes from all the testing we're doing.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:12 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,837,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The thing is, we weren't doing nearly the amount of testing in 2021 as we are now.

It all comes down to the fact that we need to stop testing unless you need to go to the doctor. There is just zero good at this point that comes from all the testing we're doing.
That is true, but testing has dropped quite a bit since mid-January (128K per day) which is when it peaked (at least recently) versus about 40K per day today, if you look here: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard

As case numbers keep dropping, I suspect that testing will continue to go down.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:13 AM

4,190 posts, read 4,911,223 times
Quote:

Some people have no choice but to get tested even if they're not sick in order to keep their jobs because of the vaccine mandates.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
That is true, but testing has dropped quite a bit since mid-January (128K per day) which is when it peaked (at least recently) versus about 40K per day today, if you look here: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard

As case numbers keep dropping, I suspect that testing will continue to go down.
The point is, Covid is endemic, by the time we get close to that number, the next wave will be here.

Any sort of mandates should be based on hospital numbers alone. And I'm talking about real hospital numbers - not this nonsense that we've had for nearly 2 years now. Literally all we should care about is not over-running hospitals. And that should be relative to number of hospitalizations in years prior to 2020. Hospitals are always busiest in the winter.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:37 AM

1,342 posts, read 734,449 times
Quote:
Ok, I guess I don't see the point of unrealistic goals.

I couldn't care less what other counties are doing. Wake is the biggest in the state and should lead by example.
That's fine, but I brought up the other districts for some perspective. They aren't looking to Wake as an example. They, like Wake, are looking to the NCDHHS and CDC for guidance and most are coming to the same decision right now.

You're of course entitled to your opinion that the board should have just dropped the mask requirement. That said, I don't think it's very realistic to think they'd just go rogue.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
That's fine, but I brought up the other districts for some perspective. They aren't looking to Wake as an example. They, like Wake, are looking to the NCDHHS and CDC for guidance and most are coming to the same decision right now.

You're of course entitled to your opinion that the board should have just dropped the mask requirement. That said, I don't think it's very realistic to think they'd just go rogue.
I have some questions for you, if you don't mind answering:

When do you think they should drop the mask requirement, and how would you prevent the mask requirement from flip-flopping back and forth?

Can you explain why you feel that kids wearing cloth masks is helpful in preventing Covid spread in schools, when we've been told that cloth masks are not effective?

Can you explain why that matters to you, when all kids K-12 are eligible for vaccination?

Do you not trust the vaccine?

Old 02-02-2022, 05:02 PM

428 posts, read 226,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Some people have no choice but to get tested even if they're not sick in order to keep their jobs because of the vaccine mandates.
They had a choice (in the vast majority of cases) — they just chose the option that required testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary