Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 06:22 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I would not want that commute, and it's only going to get worse as all those farms are converted to subdivisions. 540 completion will dramatically reduce the Fuquay-RTP commute but might not help you much.

Wait around a bit, 400K might buy you something much closer in the not too distant future.

I know it's not what your looking for but 400K will still get you into Upchurch Farms or Park Village where you can lock in great schools and an easy commute. Practically walk to downtown Apex from there.
Park Village, yes.
Upchurch Farms, only in a townhouse.

Both are pretty competitive, being smack dab in the Holy Trinity Of School Hysteria Assignment Node.
DDES, DDMS, GHHS.
I.e., the OP will be surprised, perhaps dismayed, at what $400,000 delivers compared to FV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 07:51 AM

71 posts, read 111,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Southeast Morrisville? You're not gonna want a 40+ minute commute as the years go by - opportunities to get to school for kids activities, pick him up if sick, school gets released early due to a snowflake, etc etc. If you are married to new construction you are limiting yourself....but I would be looking in Morrisville, Apex, you could get an older home in Cary in a great area. What's your priorities going forward? Does DH need proximity to the airport?
I have a flex work schedule, so the commute isn't bad. I go into work b/w 7-8 and get off work between 3-4, so the commute isn't a big issue, plus all my family is here so kid stuff is under control. Not really part of my consideration. I rather enjoy where I live instead of being convenient to work.

We do like new/newer construction look and maintenance, with my husband working out of town I have no interest in reno projects or having to buy a new roof like most of the older homes in Cary require. Apex is an option, i'm just not very fond of the Cary area.

No, we do not need to be near the airport. DH's territory is all driving NC and VA.

We like Fuqauy/Pittsboro type option because its still pretty open and has the horse/farm/country feel while still having modern conveniences. In a perfect world we would like 2-5 arcres, but that is not in our budget at the moment without going further out.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbny2076 View Post
I live in South Lakes in Fuquay and thoroughly enjoy it. I used to drive to RTP for work but work from home now for other reasons. I think 540 will help with traffic some once open. Traffic is picking up here. Our neighborhood has a ton of kids and we have been very happy with the schools. Prices have definitely gone up but I believe there are still houses in your budget here. We are zoned for the new elementary school, south Lakes, just outside our neighborhood and the new Willow Springs high school is also next door.
Yes! we have been circling South Lake and Meadowbrook, the houses go very fast. Were in Avalon Springs at the moment and we like that too, but it's not in the Willow Springs school district. Our 4 year will be going to the Montessori school on Sunset for Kindergarten if we stay in FV.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:02 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesunder View Post
I have a flex work schedule, so the commute isn't bad. I go into work b/w 7-8 and get off work between 3-4, so the commute isn't a big issue, plus all my family is here so kid stuff is under control. Not really part of my consideration. I rather enjoy where I live instead of being convenient to work.

We do like new/newer construction look and maintenance, with my husband working out of town I have no interest in reno projects or having to buy a new roof like most of the older homes in Cary require. Apex is an option, i'm just not very fond of the Cary area.

No, we do not need to be near the airport. DH's territory is all driving NC and VA.

We like Fuqauy/Pittsboro type option because its still pretty open and has the horse/farm/country feel while still having modern conveniences. In a perfect world we would like 2-5 arcres, but that is not in our budget at the moment without going further out.
Good luck with your search. Maybe the area near the Willow Spring HS would work as someone else mentioned. Just not that familiar with FV, but I wouldn't count on it remaining horse country forever. Only been in Cary 10 years and that's long enough to lament the loss of some of that stuff. But I certainly agree with the sentiment that you need to like where you live above all else.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Park Village, yes.
Upchurch Farms, only in a townhouse.

Both are pretty competitive, being smack dab in the Holy Trinity Of School Hysteria Assignment Node.
DDES, DDMS, GHHS.
I.e., the OP will be surprised, perhaps dismayed, at what $400,000 delivers compared to FV.
Yup, we started our search in Apex and ended up in FV because of those reasons. We just moved back from Colorado where the housing prices were absolutely insane, but we were staring at the mountains so it was A OK for me. We were paying for the view.

I'm having a hard time coming to grips with paying 400k for a townhouse with a $150 HOA to live in Apex...but I can see the appeal.

Random question - is the job market and pay keeping up with the inflated housing prices? CO defeintely adjusted your salary to compensate for the higher cost of living, but I don't get the feeling of that here.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I

I know it's not what your looking for but 400K will still get you into Upchurch Farms or Park Village where you can lock in great schools and an easy commute. Practically walk to downtown Apex from there.

Not sure what subdivision you're thinking of but you cannot walk to downtown Apex from Park Village. You can't get into Upchurch Farms for $400K either.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:17 AM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
Hopefully it won't destroy it, but someday it will be gone.
No offense against Cary (I see that's where you're from) as it's extremely well-maintained, but it's also gotten so much busier in the last 20-30 years.

Cary, and to an even closer degree Apex, was sort of similar to Pittsboro decades ago. In Apex, in 1990, the population was just over 5,000 and now it's over 50,000 (and growing fast). Pittsboro's now at about 5,000. I see a similar pattern happening. One of my relatives used to live near the Beaver Creek area and it felt truly rural 30 years ago, sort of like the countryside areas outside of Pittsboro do now.

The main difference in Pittsboro is that there's still a good bit of separation between it and the core of the Triangle, in part due to having Jordan Lake right there. Having a state park and lake (with a watershed that has some impact on development patterns) almost immediately beside it may make some difference in having this not be just a continuous tight feeling suburb.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:28 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Not sure what subdivision you're thinking of but you cannot walk to downtown Apex from Park Village. You can't get into Upchurch Farms for $400K either.

Of course you can. It may just take a while...

Have you ever heard someone say something like - "this place is practically empty".

Old 09-25-2020, 09:00 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
No offense against Cary (I see that's where you're from) as it's extremely well-maintained, but it's also gotten so much busier in the last 20-30 years.

Cary, and to an even closer degree Apex, was sort of similar to Pittsboro decades ago. In Apex, in 1990, the population was just over 5,000 and now it's over 50,000 (and growing fast). Pittsboro's now at about 5,000. I see a similar pattern happening. One of my relatives used to live near the Beaver Creek area and it felt truly rural 30 years ago, sort of like the countryside areas outside of Pittsboro do now.

The main difference in Pittsboro is that there's still a good bit of separation between it and the core of the Triangle, in part due to having Jordan Lake right there. Having a state park and lake (with a watershed that has some impact on development patterns) almost immediately beside it may make some difference in having this not be just a continuous tight feeling suburb.
Yes, all these communities are losing their home town feel. The population of Apex according to official town estimates as of 8/31/2020 is now 67,074! by 2026 it'll be 100k and growing. 5,000 to about 70,000 over the last 30 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Pittsboro or Fuquay?-apex-population.png  

Old 09-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Of course you can. It may just take a while...

Have you ever heard someone say something like - "this place is practically empty".
That would be a wonderful walk down Davis Drive ....anything is walkable (technically)...I don't think walkability to downtown Apex has ever been listed as a selling point for Park Village LOL. I mean if you can walk from Park Village you can walk from MacArthur Park, Upchurch Farms, Brookstone, West Park and Wellsley (last three which have access to the greenway that goes through PV)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary