Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 04:41 PM

390 posts, read 366,831 times

Advertisements

Quick question related to a recent situation. The glass on our stovetop just broke and unfortunately a glass repair is as much (actually more) than a new unit. We had a downdraft system (came with the house) which we didn't realize until getting our first quote means it costs 3x as much as a regular stovetop.

1) Thoughts on homes with stove tops without ventilation? Will this make it significantly harder to sell or otherwise look weird in this area or is this something likely to be overlooked by buyers? We're only expecting to be in the home another 6-12 months so I'm super-hesitant to drop $1700 on a replacement when we could replace it for $400 and open a window. Its an upper-middle class home (~350k) in a nice neighborhood. We didn't have any ventilation growing up, but it was definitely more of a working class home/upbringing...
2) Any suggestions for electricians in Durham for the install? Can't imagine this would be difficult (esp. if we replace with same unit), but haven't needed any electrical work done here before and electrical work isn't something I mess with myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 05:02 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,291 times
While I don't like downdraft ventilation, I would not buy a house without any range top ventilation. All that smoke and grease circulating around the house would be a non-starter for me.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Don't a good portion of houses have over the range microwaves that just vent right back into the room?

Old 10-20-2020, 06:08 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Don't a good portion of houses have over the range microwaves that just vent right back into the room?
Some do, but with large populations of people from cultures where lots of oil frying is common it’s less and less common.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:43 PM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
We've been looking at houses, and I don't think I'd be really thrilled about a house with no stove ventilation, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker if it was an otherwise good fit. I may offer a bit less so I could have one put in depending on the situation. I use mine almost daily. Actually, I walked away from a grilled cheese sandwich on the stove the other day to help with a stupid remote learning emergency and really needed the hood vent to clear out all the smoke. The smoke detector would have most definitely gone off if I didn't have one.

I grew up in an old house without range hood, and it was fine. That said, the house was already well ventilated as it was old and drafty and had high ceilings and lots of big windows. I don't think we had smoke detectors either.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:02 PM

425 posts, read 463,090 times
This should show up on an inspection, as if I remember correctly NC references the IRC, where some type of range hood is required by code, either ducted outside (obviously preferred), or via a listed ductless unit. Section 15 should get you to the requirements of the IRC.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:04 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Yes....with the dark grease/smoke spots on the ceiling above the stove to show for it.....

To OP:

Whether or not buyers notice it when they enter your house for showings; there's a very strong chance it will come up on the inspection report and that's probably a valid "concession" request.

If your house is otherwise a show-stopper in Durham in the mid 300s which is an incredibly active and competitive price point at the moment; then buyers will most likely over-look it in the initial phase and you would be likely to get high $DD in offers. However, subsequently, I would expect something to come up about it in the DD period.

Concede the money at the closing table or up front now; it's likely you'll pay it one way or the other if you are looking to sell in the near future.

FWIW; I have clients who will be listing their "everyone wants it" house in Hope Valley Farms in the late winter/early spring when their new build is almost ready. Even with new flooring throughout, new roof, new water heater, and fence in the back yard all within the last year....they still opted to replaced their inoperable vent (and the range itself) recently without me even bringing it up. Not in small part due to the fact that they will still be living there for another 4-6 months.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:23 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Quick question related to a recent situation. The glass on our stovetop just broke and unfortunately a glass repair is as much (actually more) than a new unit. We had a downdraft system (came with the house) which we didn't realize until getting our first quote means it costs 3x as much as a regular stovetop.

1) Thoughts on homes with stove tops without ventilation? Will this make it significantly harder to sell or otherwise look weird in this area or is this something likely to be overlooked by buyers? We're only expecting to be in the home another 6-12 months so I'm super-hesitant to drop $1700 on a replacement when we could replace it for $400 and open a window. Its an upper-middle class home (~350k) in a nice neighborhood. We didn't have any ventilation growing up, but it was definitely more of a working class home/upbringing...
2) Any suggestions for electricians in Durham for the install? Can't imagine this would be difficult (esp. if we replace with same unit), but haven't needed any electrical work done here before and electrical work isn't something I mess with myself.
As a homeowner, I would want good ventilation. I would want a good high volume range hood overhead and vented to the outside, not a down draft, not a vented microwave, nothing recirculating.
But, that is me...

Do you have a kitchen that a lot of buyers would want to renovate anyway?
If so, you might be able to get by on the cheap. Why spend money on something that is going to be torn out anyway?

So, you can kick the can down the road, so your real risk is really either a wasted $400 + electrician when you find you must have a downdraft installed to satisfy a buyer, or a lower sales price.
In your price range in Durham, right now, lower sales price is hardly a concern. In 6-12 months? Who knows?

Old 10-21-2020, 05:55 AM

390 posts, read 366,831 times
Thanks all, this is very helpful. I agree that overhead ventilation would be ideal, but this is an island with fairly tall ceilings so it would be super-awkward to have that in the current setup. Beyond a recently broken cooktop, the kitchen is otherwise quite nice and new so its definitely not something a buyer would gut. And to clarify - we are in far N Durham (Treyburn), so nowhere near as in-demand as other parts of the city. This section seems to be doing better as Durham as a whole has taken off, but things do tend to sit longer and without the premiums commanded in S Durham or downtown.

I think we're just going to bite the bullet and pay for the new downdraft since it seems likely to come up now or later esp. as it "may" be an inspection item here (which I didn't realize).

Any advice on electricians?

Old 10-21-2020, 06:11 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Thanks all, this is very helpful. I agree that overhead ventilation would be ideal, but this is an island with fairly tall ceilings so it would be super-awkward to have that in the current setup. Beyond a recently broken cooktop, the kitchen is otherwise quite nice and new so its definitely not something a buyer would gut. And to clarify - we are in far N Durham (Treyburn), so nowhere near as in-demand as other parts of the city. This section seems to be doing better as Durham as a whole has taken off, but things do tend to sit longer and without the premiums commanded in S Durham or downtown.

I think we're just going to bite the bullet and pay for the new downdraft since it seems likely to come up now or later esp. as it "may" be an inspection item here (which I didn't realize).

Any advice on electricians?
DM jmellc and see if he can do it or can recommend an electrician.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...lc-693164.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary