Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 09:42 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWillMTB View Post
The traffic is mostly just bad for those living farther south or east of the railroad tracks. I live about a mile to the north west and have no trouble getting home from RTP in pre Covid traffic. We are looking forward to it but Morrisville has been talking about doing it for a long time so we'll see if it actually ever happens.
If the OP is living in Winchester, off 128, she will not notice the traffic here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 09:44 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
If the OP is living in Winchester, off 128, she will not notice the traffic here.
I'd say 40 during rush hour is the only thing comparable to any traffic in MA.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:27 PM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
LOL. Respect Rich, I've been on Rte 128 during rush hour but I'm going to raise you the Cross Bronx Expressway during rush hour.....

Old 01-14-2021, 01:14 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
LOL. Respect Rich, I've been on Rte 128 during rush hour but I'm going to raise you the Cross Bronx Expressway during rush hour.....
Wow, those are good. But I'll see your Cross Bronx and raise you I-95 South out of DC during the evening rush.

I still laugh when anyone tries to make the argument that we have serious traffic problems here. The only people who can legit make that argument are people who have been living here since maybe 1990. I've sat on I-40 going east out of RTP during the evening rush as well as I-540 going east during the evening rush, and as bad as they are relative to other times and roads, they fall well short of what it's like in major urban centers. We have stretches of slow roads, but they open up after 10-15 minutes and everything moves fine.

In olden times (pre-Covid19) I would delay driving home from RTP during the traditional rush because it nearly doubled the amount of time necessary from 25 to 50 minutes, but that was it. Once I passed Leesville Road on 540 things started moving again.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:53 PM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Well. Rich was all in, called our bluff and won the whole pot. Top 5 cities with the worst traffic are Boston, Chicago, Philly, NYC and D.C.

Full disclosure: Never played poker in my life, did I use those poker terms right?

Old 01-19-2021, 06:13 PM

59 posts, read 53,184 times
Thanks everyone for all the feedback! Still not sure exactly when we're moving, but I've done some more research into areas and neighborhoods. In CH- any thoughts on Meadowmont, The Oaks, and Springcrest? I've seen them mentioned as very family-friendly, and the commute would hopefully be pretty easy. And in Chatham County- Governor's Village, Westfall? I've also heard a lot about Southern Village in Carrboro, but not sure if those are all small lots? Would the commute to RTP be hideous from those areas in Chatham County or SV? We also haven't ruled out Durham, so I'd love suggestions for family-friendly neighborhoods in the southern part.

Last edited by amalia2150; 01-19-2021 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-19-2021, 11:18 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalia2150 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the feedback! Still not sure exactly when we're moving, but I've done some more research into areas and neighborhoods. In CH- any thoughts on Meadowmont, The Oaks, and Springcrest? I've seen them mentioned as very family-friendly, and the commute would hopefully be pretty easy. And in Chatham County- Governor's Village, Westfall? I've also heard a lot about Southern Village in Carrboro, but not sure if those are all small lots? Would the commute to RTP be hideous from those areas in Chatham County or SV? We also haven't ruled out Durham, so I'd love suggestions for family-friendly neighborhoods in the southern part.
Meadowmont and The Oaks are nice. I know people in both communities. Meadowmont is a neo-traditionalist or new-urban type community with a walkable shopping village contained in it that includes Harris Teeter. There is also an elementary school (Rashkis). Kids from there also go to Culbreth MS (a bit far) and then East Chapel Hill. Some of Meadowmont is in Durham County and those kids feed into Durham County schools. Durham County side is a lot cheaper for that reason. The Oaks is a more traditional neighborhood of large homes and much more space between homes. I don't think there are sidewalks. They feed into same schools as the Chapel Hill side of Meadowmont. I am not familiar with Springcrest. Never heard of it.

Southern Village is in Chapel Hill, not Carrboro. Schools are Scroggs, Culbreth, and Carrboro HS. Lots are small, for the most part, although some of the older section have larger lots. They do come at a steep price though. And right now there is little to no inventory. Southern Village is similar to Meadowmont in that it's a neo-traditionalist type community with walkable shopping and a Weaver Street Market contained in it. Scroggs Elem. is also contained in Southern Village. People do commute to RTP from SV. Commute would not be hideous, especially for someone coming from Boston. But Meadowmont would be more convenient (and is also generally more expensive). Southern Village, I believe, has more families with children than Meadowmont, although I am sure Meadowmont has plenty, too. I live in SV and would be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

Governor's Village is a bit more rural. Chatham Schools. Not sure about Westfall. Is that off 15-501 - a newish development? I remember the signs for it but I'm not sure I'm placing it correctly. In any case, I don't know anything about it. Commute would be slightly longer from Chatham to RTP than from SV.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:28 PM

59 posts, read 53,184 times
Oops, sorry, I got mixed up about SV, I think because it's zoned for Carrboro HS. Thanks so much for this info!! It's been weird trying to do all of our research from afar rather than take a trip there to look around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Meadowmont and The Oaks are nice. I know people in both communities. Meadowmont is a neo-traditionalist or new-urban type community with a walkable shopping village contained in it that includes Harris Teeter. There is also an elementary school (Rashkis). Kids from there also go to Culbreth MS (a bit far) and then East Chapel Hill. Some of Meadowmont is in Durham County and those kids feed into Durham County schools. Durham County side is a lot cheaper for that reason. The Oaks is a more traditional neighborhood of large homes and much more space between homes. I don't think there are sidewalks. They feed into same schools as the Chapel Hill side of Meadowmont. I am not familiar with Springcrest. Never heard of it.

Southern Village is in Chapel Hill, not Carrboro. Schools are Scroggs, Culbreth, and Carrboro HS. Lots are small, for the most part, although some of the older section have larger lots. They do come at a steep price though. And right now there is little to no inventory. Southern Village is similar to Meadowmont in that it's a neo-traditionalist type community with walkable shopping and a Weaver Street Market contained in it. Scroggs Elem. is also contained in Southern Village. People do commute to RTP from SV. Commute would not be hideous, especially for someone coming from Boston. But Meadowmont would be more convenient (and is also generally more expensive). Southern Village, I believe, has more families with children than Meadowmont, although I am sure Meadowmont has plenty, too. I live in SV and would be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

Governor's Village is a bit more rural. Chatham Schools. Not sure about Westfall. Is that off 15-501 - a newish development? I remember the signs for it but I'm not sure I'm placing it correctly. In any case, I don't know anything about it. Commute would be slightly longer from Chatham to RTP than from SV.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 PM

39 posts, read 30,597 times
I can help with Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill School district is the best in the state, and there is also a lovely town of Carrboro inside the town of Chapel Hill lots of diversity in both, strong sense of community, lots of parents with young children. all depends whats important to you. its a small town, 60k population with half of them young students, its spread through a lot of territories, some older houses, and a lot of new development. UNC school and huge hospital, lots of clinics, used to be lots of movie theaters but some of them are not gonna make it. Let me know if you have any specific questions, feel free to DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary