Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 07:15 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Remember the 2002 Ice Storm? Raleigh got 1 inch of freezing rain. The worst ice storm in over 50 years. No power it seemed like forever with sub freezing temperatures night and day. Lots of people fled to areas that had electricity, but we stuck it out at home.
That was a crapshow. I was in middle school but remember like it was yesterday. I remember waking up in the early morning thinking I was going crazy because I kept hearing trucks crashing and seeing lightning flash...it was trees falling (at least one did land on a car) and generators busting.

No power for 3 days. Temp in our house got down to below 40 even with our gas fireplace going.

That is instantly where my mind has gone in my wariness of what's coming tomorrow. Doesn't sound like it will be as extreme as 2002 but probably still going to be a mess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 07:24 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Remember the 2002 Ice Storm? Raleigh got 1 inch of freezing rain. The worst ice storm in over 50 years. No power it seemed like forever with sub freezing temperatures night and day. Lots of people fled to areas that had electricity, but we stuck it out at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
That was a crapshow. I was in middle school but remember like it was yesterday. I remember waking up in the early morning thinking I was going crazy because I kept hearing trucks crashing and seeing lightning flash...it was trees falling (at least one did land on a car) and generators busting.

No power for 3 days. Temp in our house got down to below 40 even with our gas fireplace going.

That is instantly where my mind has gone in my wariness of what's coming tomorrow. Doesn't sound like it will be as extreme as 2002 but probably still going to be a mess

We had just moved into our house in late October, 2002.
Apex Electric had had a very poor reputation in our neighborhood for many long outages. I always figured our neighborhood had been low priority, actually being in Cary and getting electrical service from Town of Apex. Neighbors all gave us dire warnings....

I think we were out for less than a day. Built a tent in front of the gas fireplace and survived.
LOL
I woke up about 2 AM when we had some electricity on. Made a hearty pot of oatmeal, and got warm all the way through. Power went out again about the time I was washing up.
I could hardly tell my wife who slept through it, chilled, and didn't find it near as funny as I did.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:43 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
We lost power for 36 hours in the 6-8 inch snow we had about 5 or 6 years ago. A tree in a neighbors yard fell and blocked our driveway too so we couldn’t try our hands at driving somewhere warmer. The teens and dad ended up hiking 3 miles to a friend’s house in it and I kept the Woodstove going. Hope we don’t have to relive any power outages this time.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:15 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
We lost power for 36 hours in the 6-8 inch snow we had about 5 or 6 years ago. A tree in a neighbors yard fell and blocked our driveway too so we couldn’t try our hands at driving somewhere warmer. The teens and dad ended up hiking 3 miles to a friend’s house in it and I kept the Woodstove going. Hope we don’t have to relive any power outages this time.
We were out for 8 hours that time. That snow was really wet and heavy. I can live with an 8 hour outage or even a day. Beyond that....we'll see.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:15 AM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
Quote:
I had just moved into my brand new townhouse near Cameron Village. The gas fireplace wasn’t hooked up yet, and I had an all electric stove. I remember it being so cold for days, and pitch dark at night except for the firework displays of transformers exploding looking off my back deck. I had been through some bad ice storms growing up in Atlanta, with pine trees bent completely over touching the ground, but this was the first time all by myself. That was almost as bad as the icy shutdown of I-40 a few years later, where it took me 12 hrs to get home from RTP. I still harbor some post traumatic stress from that one. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. At least I have a gas stove now. Definitely having soup Sunday night either way.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Just thinking about the 2002 ice storm makes me cold. Our house was all electric, and we lost power for 7 days. If I recall correctly, it got into the teens some nights. We didn't really have anywhere else better to go, and we couldn't leave our pets, so we stuck it out. It was still truly miserable though, and I don't know how we'd manage the situation now that we have kids and are not as young and plucky.

Luckily it looks like the storm that's on its way won't be that bad and it won't be as cold, but I still get nervous now every time there's a storm, especially in the winter. We seem to lose power in my neighborhood for even the smallest weather event because of all the unmaintained trees in the area and sometimes for no apparent reason at all. And Duke Energy seems to have us pretty low down on the priority list. Got the cars all gassed up though and got some extra bread. But I've learned the hard way not to stock up on refrigerated or frozen foods, so no extra milk or eggs here.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:37 AM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Losing power sucks but I don’t worry about
things I can’t control. If it goes out, it does
and if it doesn’t that’s even better. I’ll be at
work Monday so it’s not going to bother me
whatever happens.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:02 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Yeah power outages aren't really a big deal here. It just doesn't get cold enough long enough for it to be a big deal. Worst case scenario is you lose a fridge full of food, but you can buy a little portable generator to run the fridge.

Hate to play the "you should see it up north" card, but we lost power in the winter for a week+ on multiple occasions. One memorable time we stayed in the house for the entire period because we were stubborn and didn't want to bother our parents with us and our dog and cat. It was in the 40's in the house and we had about 5200 candles lit. We wore jackets to bed it was crazy. Good times.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:32 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Well, am hoping you guys back home keep it on the light side whatever you do get

Old 01-15-2022, 11:40 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
So you’re the reason Wegmans had no fresh produce left?
The produce at FT last night was stocked, some of the meat was depleted but not unnaturally so given the time of day. The place had only a few shoppers.

We just moved our usual Sunday food shopping day up a couple days because we didn't want to be out on Sunday. Plus it was on the way to getting dinner take-out, so killed 2 birds with one stone.

The store brand pasta sauce was out, but that is a common thing these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary