Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 07:46 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times

Advertisements

There are several in North Raleigh: Linville, The Barony, Southern Hills Estates, all near Creedmoor Rd north of I-540. I'm sure there are more as well. These neighborhoods are also quite expensive, costing from a bit over $1 million to close to $3 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 07:51 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post
Hi there- I've been thinking of relocating to the Raleigh area, coming from southern California. It would be a single-family home with a yard. Initially, was looking at Apex/Holly Springs, but am told there aren't any gated communities there, so I've expanded my search to all around Raleigh. I'd be very happy with a very suburban area and am not interested in city life- just as long as the area is not TOO remote. Might you guys know of gated communities in the area that aren't too middle of nowhere?

I live alone and am in my 20's, so my highest priority is really just a neighborhood with as low crime rate as possible, and preferably gated on top of it... I'm not an active person and do my job from home, so I was looking at homes within the Governor's Club. If anyone has thoughts or experiences regarding Governor's Club, that would be helpful!

I really don't mind at all that it's apparently mostly retired individuals, because I just am interested in a nice and large home for my work and my pets, on top of being as safe as humanly possible. But I'm reading that it seems very remote and doesn't allow fencing for dogs?

I also don't mind driving up to 20 minutes to get groceries as well, as that's what I need to do now where I live.

As an aside... How is the racism in the area toward chinese/asian people, in your observation? If you're asian too, have you personally experienced any sort of racism? (This is being asked honestly, since the city I grew up and where I live currently is 40% Asian and 40% White... Not sure what to expect in a brand new area with such a low asian population)

That was a huge blurb- thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Governors Club is the only gated community I have significant experience with; I actually have clients under contract to purchase a home in GC right now.

It is a stunningly beautiful setting. Rolling hills, heavily forested; excellent community and private landscaping. I can't imagine being a young single guy living in there but obviously it's to each their own.

Governors Club has a semi-rural feeling setting but isn't terribly far from amenities in-town Chapel Hill, Durham, even Western Wake Cary/Morrisville...as the crow flies. Getting "out" of GC can take 10-15 minutes depending on how "deep" into the neighborhood one is and if you're on the "Lystra" side or the "Mt Caramel Church" side.

I do not know about the other handful of gated communities in the Triangle; but in Governors Club, resale/appreciation lags the rest of the area pretty significantly. You have to live in the house for a long time to see any appreciable value increase. It's a niche "lifestyle" community; as one would obviously expect for a gated community; thus the buyer pool is limited to those seeking that "niche". There are still opportunities to build custom homes on your own lot in Governors Club which is what most buyers attracted to that community have the means and preference to do; hence another hit on re-sale value at least in the short term.

All that being said; those that live in Governors Club tend to stay for a while and have wonderful things to say about living there. My clients are excited!

Old 02-28-2021, 09:49 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Good god, why? I'd be more worried for my mental health in the gated community as a minority person. Would totally give me that creepy "Get Out" vibe, lol.

Check out the more affluent parts of Cary. It's all you want, sans gates. The common sense is: Suburb + Expensive = Invisible Fence. You'll be fine. Under no circumstances choose Durham.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:52 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Good god, why? I'd be more worried for my mental health in the gated community as a minority person. Would totally give me that creepy "Get Out" vibe, lol.

Check out the more affluent parts of Cary. It's all you want, sans gates. The common sense is: Suburb + Expensive = Invisible Fence. You'll be fine. Under no circumstances choose Durham.
There’s certainly no invisible fence around Cary even in the most affluent parts. Plenty of property crime.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:44 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Anything built in the past 30 yrs will have an HOA. Most of those don’t appreciate dogs. Some will say fences are allowed but will not approve them. So be very careful if fencing does not already exist. HOAs can levy fines if one person hears your dog bark. Talk personally to the current HOA president about dogs and fencing before you buy. That said, you might get lucky.

As others noted, gated communities are not common here. They are more of an annoyance than a benefit.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post
Hi there- I've been thinking of relocating to the Raleigh area, coming from southern California. It would be a single-family home with a yard. Initially, was looking at Apex/Holly Springs, but am told there aren't any gated communities there, so I've expanded my search to all around Raleigh. I'd be very happy with a very suburban area and am not interested in city life- just as long as the area is not TOO remote. Might you guys know of gated communities in the area that aren't too middle of nowhere?

I live alone and am in my 20's, so my highest priority is really just a neighborhood with as low crime rate as possible, and preferably gated on top of it... I'm not an active person and do my job from home, so I was looking at homes within the Governor's Club. If anyone has thoughts or experiences regarding Governor's Club, that would be helpful!

I really don't mind at all that it's apparently mostly retired individuals, because I just am interested in a nice and large home for my work and my pets, on top of being as safe as humanly possible. But I'm reading that it seems very remote and doesn't allow fencing for dogs?

I also don't mind driving up to 20 minutes to get groceries as well, as that's what I need to do now where I live.

As an aside... How is the racism in the area toward chinese/asian people, in your observation? If you're asian too, have you personally experienced any sort of racism? (This is being asked honestly, since the city I grew up and where I live currently is 40% Asian and 40% White... Not sure what to expect in a brand new area with such a low asian population)

That was a huge blurb- thanks in advance for any thoughts!
If your primary reason for wanting a gated community is maximum security and personal protection, I'd suggest you're overdoing it. The Triangle has very low crime rates to begin with, most of the planned communities are very (VERY) safe and around here, gated communities equates to wealth. Besides, the 2-3 that I know of near where I used to live (just off Creedmoor Road and north of 540), though the gates were optically effective, all of those communities were ridiculously easy to breach on foot, and also prone to vehicle trespassing.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:11 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Anything built in the past 30 yrs will have an HOA. Most of those don’t appreciate dogs. Some will say fences are allowed but will not approve them. So be very careful if fencing does not already exist. HOAs can levy fines if one person hears your dog bark. Talk personally to the current HOA president about dogs and fencing before you buy. That said, you might get lucky.

As others noted, gated communities are not common here. They are more of an annoyance than a benefit.

Of all the ridiculous things I've heard spouted about HOAs this might take the cake.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:58 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's mildly humorous to me that an immigrant wants to live in a place that is walled off from the rest of the world.
Where did the OP mention that he/she is an immigrant?

Old 02-28-2021, 02:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Where did the OP mention that he/she is an immigrant?
Yup, Chinese ≠ immigrant.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I agree with everyone else. Gated communities aren't very common here nor are they that much safer. Drop that from your criteria and you will be able to satisfy the rest of your wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary