Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 09:23 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Governors Club has a semi-rural feeling setting
Almost all gated communities in the Triangle will be semi-rural, as IIRC all of the cities/towns have policies preventing gates. It turns out that gated communities are more dangerous for their residents, since the delay to emergency services in getting in (not just through the gates, but also finding the gate) is a bigger threat to public safety than whatever infinitesimal proportion of criminals are dissuaded by a mere gate.

I'm Asian-American and grew up in Cary, but I don't think I'd enjoy living in Governors Club -- the Census block group including it has a median age of 54, and is overwhelmingly White.

Take a cue from your relatives and look in western Wake; e.g., the town of Morrisville is 45% Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 07:15 AM

129 posts, read 115,910 times
Congrats on your company's success and possible move. I am married with family, but we also own our own company and could move anywhere. No regrets on the area, we absolutely love it here. We came from a gated neighborhood in our previous state so I understand how it can feel safer, but I don't really think it was. As others have said, they are not common around here. We used to live in far north Raleigh near some of the ones mentioned. They will be very large square footage homes in that area and pricey. I do not think you need to worry about safety in any area you would be likely to buy in. There is only a small area I would avoid and you wouldn't look there. We moved closer to downtown over the summer and I will admit it is the first time since moving here that I have felt slightly on edge at times. There is more property crime and car break-ins where people foolishly leave cars unlocked. Not a daily thing by any means, but more than I realized.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:21 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Of all the ridiculous things I've heard spouted about HOAs this might take the cake.
Would you like ice cream with that?

It’s a major issue for a niche group of people and we can all provide personal examples. Your needs and experiences might vary but c’est la vie.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:36 AM

1,204 posts, read 777,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Stop the Durham bashing. There are some great areas of Durham and some areas you wouldn't want to live in. Same is true in Raleigh and most every town in the USA. Since the op has friends in the Apex/Holly Springs area, I suggest looking there.

It's called sarcasm, look it up. I live in Durham.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:42 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It’s a major issue for a niche group of people and we can all provide personal examples. Your needs and experiences might vary but c’est la vie.
Then you should have said that, instead of implying that she would have a problem with the vast majority of HOAs in the area...and so far the only person who's chimed in on the issue agreed with me, not you. The fact is the OP is going to spend quite a lot of money on a house and one hopes if the CCRs restrict pets she will bypass that subdivision.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:12 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Anything built in the past 30 yrs will have an HOA. Most of those don’t appreciate dogs. Some will say fences are allowed but will not approve them. So be very careful if fencing does not already exist. HOAs can levy fines if one person hears your dog bark. Talk personally to the current HOA president about dogs and fencing before you buy. That said, you might get lucky.
Most HOA's "don't appreciate dogs"? What on earth are you talking about? Hell, plenty of HOA's have dog parks.

I'll agree that some HOA communities don't allow fences, and those that do will stipulate the exact type, height and color of fence allowed. I'll also add that many (most?) CC&R's limit the number of pets per household.

If somebody's dog is barking incessantly, I'm betting the neighbors call the cops or animal control WAY before the HOA.

BTW - "talking" to the current HOA president about dogs, fences or anything is pointless. What anyone verbally states is worthless; the CC&R's are what matters.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:41 AM

376 posts, read 653,429 times
No idea what your budget is, but I have a Chinese friend, he came to the USA at age 5. Moved here from CA (well after the military so he lived a few other places) and bought a house near H Mart in Cary. Tons of Asian food there and Asian people- he loves it here and no racism that I know of he has experienced.

You are right, compared to CA there are very few gated communities- like others said Cary and North Raleigh and really most of the area is safe.

+1 on the fence- HOAs have rules on them and how high they can be and style. Existing fence may save some headache.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:47 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Anything built in the past 30 yrs will have an HOA. Most of those don’t appreciate dogs. Some will say fences are allowed but will not approve them. So be very careful if fencing does not already exist. HOAs can levy fines if one person hears your dog bark. Talk personally to the current HOA president about dogs and fencing before you buy. That said, you might get lucky.

As others noted, gated communities are not common here. They are more of an annoyance than a benefit.
Think hard about that. By extension, you're saying anyone that lives in a neighborhood under 30 years old lives in a dog-unfriendly neighborhood.

HOA's can/could be dog unfriendly. But dogs are pretty ubiquitous in American culture.

Like Gated communities, HOA's aren't the same everywhere you go. I personally wouldn't want to live in an HOA, and don't, but at the same time an HOA wouldn't be an automatic disqualification for me if I were house shopping.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 PM

703 posts, read 780,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Linville is always locked when I go by. A builder took me on a drive-through tour a few years ago.

That is how I got my photos at Olde Raleigh several years ago, drove right in. However, I have also driven by the gates and seen them closed during the day, frequently, and also recently.
Geez, I'm not even in the Real Estate biz and I can whip off several gated communities in North Raleigh without thinking too hard...

Linville (as mentioned)
The Barony
Southern Hills Estates
Bay Leaf Farm
Greywalls at Trego
Adams Mountain

Now, the first five consist almost entirely of $1M homes and UP. But Adams Mountain is one that might fit the OP's price range. It's an older, gated community that does have some homes I'd estimate to be as low as $550 - $600K..

Old 03-02-2021, 04:44 PM

703 posts, read 780,046 times
And... sadly, this thread made me also realize why I haven't been back to C-D in quite awhile, and why I don't bother visiting much anymore.

Mike J is correct. I've complained about it before. Someone from a different region of the country comes on and asks a sincere question about private schools in the area. And the first X responses are questions about why the person isn't considering public school... Or it's some other question like the OP's here, and immediate judgmentally-based questions back to the OP. Or even worse, someone asks about the best steak restaurants, and someone has to opine that they make the best steaks at home on their grill. Seriously, what good does this type of response do anyone? But it's par for the course here, and there are clearly some folks here who feel the need to weigh in on every. single. post. I realize it's a discussion board, but folks really need to self-evaluate whether what they have to say contributes to the discussion in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary