Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 03:30 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You’re confusing. If you find a post written by me in this thread that was unwelcoming or rude, let me know.

Only one of us is confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 04:19 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Of all the ridiculous things I've heard spouted about HOAs this might take the cake.
Yeah I was going to post something similar. I’m in and out of neighborhoods every day, the vast majority have HOAs and I see fences everywhere. I’ve got a whole lot of drone photos to prove it. now, maybe you have to put up a certain kind of fence and certainly not chain link, but fences are super common.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:22 PM

6 posts, read 5,303 times
Wow, thanks to those who posted helpful info!

Thought I'd just point out after all this that safety is such a high priority for me because I'm a she. Not an immigrant. (If I were a he, I'd not even care about gated) Also, coming from southern California, we have a lot of gated communities here that increase safety by a significant amount compared to non-gated, so I just thought I'd seek them out. No need to answer this though.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Gated communities are not super common here, but there are a few as mentioned. We have pretty safe suburbs and plenty of neighborhoods love their dogs. I would open it up to some of the non-gated communities, too.

What is your budget? How much house and land do you want? We can help you find some safe dog-friendly neighborhoods. Do you want to live in the same area as your friends?

Houses do go really fast here. It is a hot market so you need to be able to act very quickly in many cases.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:29 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,184,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's mildly humorous to me that an immigrant wants to live in a place that is walled off from the rest of the world.
It is rude for you to assume they are immigrants. They could have been born and raised in the US.

To the OP, these are the types of micro aggressions you will face in the Raleigh area. While I have not personally been attacked, there have been reports of armed robberies of Chinese people at their homes in this area. It’s not something that has been widely reported, but it does happen. I’d also add that these robberies happened pre-Covid. I haven’t seen any recent reports, but many of the recent attacks against the Asian community have not been covered in the news.

I’m not sure that a gated community will really keep you that much safer. My parents and in laws live in them and the security is pretty lax.

Please feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:34 PM

My budget is ideally below $500k, but can be up to $600-700k depending on the house and location. Ideally 2000 square feet at least for the house, and a nice yard. I really appreciate more front yard space as well so that my dogs aren't in front of the side walk when I open the door, which was another aspect that I thought was nice about the Governors Club homes.

My friends are in Apex/Holly Springs, but I don't mind living up to 30 minutes or so away from them. Close would be nice though!

I've heard the housing market there is hot (well, not including the homes within Governors Club apparently). I will likely be renting first to get a feel of the place before I purchase a home.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:36 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Where did the OP mention that he/she is an immigrant?
I agree. Bad day at work. Crappy post. Asked to have it deleted.

To the OP I apologize for my distasteful post. I think you will find Raleigh not only extremely safe but also very welcoming!

Old 02-28-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
It is rude for you to assume they are immigrants. They could have been born and raised in the US.

To the OP, these are the types of micro aggressions you will face in the Raleigh area. While I have not personally been attacked, there have been reports of armed robberies of Chinese people at their homes in this area. It’s not something that has been widely reported, but it does happen. I’d also add that these robberies happened pre-Covid. I haven’t seen any recent reports, but many of the recent attacks against the Asian community have not been covered in the news.

I’m not sure that a gated community will really keep you that much safer. My parents and in laws live in them and the security is pretty lax.

Please feel free to PM if you have any questions.
I thought it was pretty ironic that a comment like that showed up right in my thread! Haha hopefully I don't get that in real life.

Thanks for your thoughts as well!

Old 02-28-2021, 05:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
I'm not that well-versed on Apex and Holly Springs, but both are generally regarded as safe communities. Hopefully someone who lives closer by there can point you in the direction of some specific dog-friendly safe neighborhoods. You have a good budget for a suburban neighborhood. A little on the low end for Governor's Club although I think there are a few that start around 700k, but I doubt any house there is as small as 2000 feet.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:19 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post
My budget is ideally below $500k, but can be up to $600-700k depending on the house and location. Ideally 2000 square feet at least for the house, and a nice yard. I really appreciate more front yard space as well so that my dogs aren't in front of the side walk when I open the door, which was another aspect that I thought was nice about the Governors Club homes.

My friends are in Apex/Holly Springs, but I don't mind living up to 30 minutes or so away from them. Close would be nice though!

I've heard the housing market there is hot (well, not including the homes within Governors Club apparently). I will likely be renting first to get a feel of the place before I purchase a home.

Your budget is light for gated communities, although top end of your budget might get you something.
HOA dues are something to consider, too. Some are very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary