Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: FV vs HS on 2021?
FV 2 16.67%
HS 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 10:26 PM

10 posts, read 10,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It occurred to me that the OP can't be sure that their 3-year old will be assigned to to the same school when the child gets to kindergarten. Have their been rumors of redistricting in FV or HS?
Yes I read on this forum about reassignment of schools. In that case Would it make sense to sending kid to private school. How often would reassignment occur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 07:02 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2nc View Post
Yes I read on this forum about reassignment of schools. In that case Would it make sense to sending kid to private school. How often would reassignment occur?
A prior poster said it was likely in the next couple of years. Kids would be drawn from HS to fill the new school in FV.
You can check private schools. Personally, I prefer to trust the quality of the public schools.
Your other alternative is to look at older neighborhoods where the schools have been stable.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:49 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,975 times
Holly Springs and Fuquay have much different vibes. I would check them out. I have lived in HS since 2008 and it's in the midst of great development. Traffic has gotten bad in the past 5 years, but it's largely because people moving here and infrastructure is always playing catch up. There is also tons of developments happening at all levels in Holly Springs, Fuquay is a bit more static in that regard. NC 540 is still being completed along the northeast edge of town and it will continue to drive change to the area.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:54 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
The private school options are fairly limited in both towns. There's Hilltop Christian in FV with grades K-12, and a Montessori School in HS which only goes to grade 5.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:12 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,429 times
I looked futher into wcpss info and there are new schools being built in both towns at all levels (elem, middle, and high) in the next 5 years. So reassignments will happen - but you will be moved with your neighbors, and you can't be assured of no reassignments anywhere in the county. Reassignments are what you make of them - they don't have to be something to fear. They can be opportunities.

Charter schools are also an option, but again, there aren't many in that immediate area at this time. I can only think of Southern Wake Academy (middle and high) and Carolina Charter (elementary and maybe middle) off the top of my head. Thales (private) has a Holly Springs campus now too, that currently goes through 5th or 6th but I would expect it to continue adding grade levels.

Also, looking at the list of new developments on the town of FV's website, I wouldn't call it static. The extension of 540 will continue to impact both towns significantly.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:54 AM

853 posts, read 587,143 times
As far as schools go, both HS and FV are in the same school system (Wake County).

Old 03-15-2021, 01:46 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,542,922 times
See post 7 over at Monarch Butterfly way stations in the Triangle about more development headed to F-V area

Old 03-15-2021, 05:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Quote:
In that case Would it make sense to sending kid to private school. How often would reassignment occur?
Private school is more about your finances and what you want out of the school experience for your kids. The overwhelming majority of kids in Wake County go to Wake County Public Schools.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 10,331 times
Quote:
The private school options are fairly limited in both towns. There's Hilltop Christian in FV with grades K-12, and a Montessori School in HS which only goes to grade 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Private school is more about your finances and what you want out of the school experience for your kids. The overwhelming majority of kids in Wake County go to Wake County Public Schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
I looked futher into wcpss info and there are new schools being built in both towns at all levels (elem, middle, and high) in the next 5 years. So reassignments will happen - but you will be moved with your neighbors, and you can't be assured of no reassignments anywhere in the county. Reassignments are what you make of them - they don't have to be something to fear. They can be opportunities.

Charter schools are also an option, but again, there aren't many in that immediate area at this time. I can only think of Southern Wake Academy (middle and high) and Carolina Charter (elementary and maybe middle) off the top of my head. Thales (private) has a Holly Springs campus now too, that currently goes through 5th or 6th but I would expect it to continue adding grade levels.
Quote:
A prior poster said it was likely in the next couple of years. Kids would be drawn from HS to fill the new school in FV.
You can check private schools. Personally, I prefer to trust the quality of the public schools.
Your other alternative is to look at older neighborhoods where the schools have been stable.
I guess at this time I will have to plan on sending to public school and when time comes plan accordingly. Also explore older neighborhoods.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:21 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Private schools buy you two things WCPSS can’t and may never provide. Stability and freedom from an ever changing curriculum with little to no support for the both teachers and students. They implemented a disastrous math curriculum in the high schools a few years ago and it is trickling down to lower grades. ELA curriculum was also changed and is changing and it’s also terrible. I could go on and on but suffice to say as a once HUGE proponent of public school I can confidently say if I miraculously had another child there is zero chance they would be a student in WCPSS.

And people can make fun of choosing “the best” wcpss schools but the pandemic has laid bare the stark difference in how schools are run at the individual level. You get what you pay for so to speak. This is true when comparing both public to private and public to public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary