Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 09:02 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Ideally, any upscale HOA community, age-restricted or not, would have multiple pools, including an indoor pool, even in moderate-climate California. I know of some communities that have an indoor pool, but the structure of those two communities, is "odd" and they have outrageously high HOA "mutuals" and "coupons."

Myafternoons.
SFBoomer. Please share 3+ communities in The Triangle that are not age restricted and have indoor pools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 07:02 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
What is the point of strictly 55+ neighborhood? Just seems odd to see a bunch of old farts doing fast walks all day long. I do not have kids, but I think kids bring lots of dynamism into a neighborhood. Such weird and creative creatures. Also, I imagine it would be kinda hard to sell that house cause you are intentionally eliminating lots of buyers? Is that even legal? I am trying to understand the perks of 55+ community. Maybe I will get it in about 15-20 years... just like when I hit 35 and never wanted to live close to college kids.
Noise and a lack of maintenance. My opinion, as someone who is a ways off from 55+, is that for the smaller lots that make low maintenance economically feasible from an HOA/community standpoint, you want as much of a guarantee of quiet folks in the neighborhood as you can get, and the 55+ designation goes a long way towards ensuring that.

Remember that it isn't for everyone either. My parents abhor the idea even though they're at that age. Nope, they're simply moving to a house with a first floor master suite and accessible bathrooms. And, plenty of my neighbors are elderly; they like the neighborhood and almost all the homes are one floor and they've lived here 40 years.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:19 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Holy moly -- this created a lot of response! Thanks everyone for your input! I definitely learned a lot. My question was genuine, I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
When one of our first 55+ Active Adult Neighborhoods opened, they used to tell folks that "you are paying for a LIFESTYLE". That was intended to take the BITE of the high prices of the smaller homes!

I'm not against these neighborhoods and I've helped many buyers purchase in these neighborhoods so I'll tell you what they've told me...

They mentioned less noise, less loud music after midnight, less racing cars through the neighborhood, less silliness in the pools, more clubs for them and a clubhouse/community center that caters to what older people enjoy.

I guess that makes sense. But, I am surprised it's legal. I mean can a development simply not sell these to people who aren't 50+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Just to counter your statement of “Just seems odd to see a bunch of old farts doing fast walks all day long”.

My “old fart” (your description) ran the City of Oaks Marathon (26.2 miles) several years in row while we lived in a 55+ community in the Brier Creek area. Oh, and he swam at least a mile every morning in the indoor pool.

Okay, you got that one cool dude. But, I am pretty sure you know what I mean. Sorry if "old fart" was a bit too much, how about "bunch of silver foxes and hot cougars in their later but still prime years" -- better? I am glad your dad stays healthy though, that's not the case for everyone. But if these communities push all of them be better, then yeah, it seems like they have a place and reason to exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've often found that explaining the desire of a strictly 55+ community to somebody who is decades away from that age is pointless. Twenty years ago, I would have said it was weird to live like that.

And explaining one's preference for a 55+ community to someone who already has a negative impression is a total waste of time. Sort of like explaining the benefits of an HOA to a HOA-hater.

Neither side is right or wrong. Just different choices and/or perspectives.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, I would flip it on you HatchChile and say that I like leaving near college students. I mean I don't want to live in the dorms anymore, but the house across the street is rented by UNC students and I see other students when I am out walking at the park everyday. I enjoy it. I think it's just different strokes for different folks. I don't think I would want to live in a 55+ community, but I would consider a CCRC when I get in my 70s/80s if I make it that long.

Oh I am with you on that to a certain level. That's the reason I moved here. I like college towns, what is better than having 3 colleges close to each other in one area? I was just saying I do not want to live next to frat houses, or a rental where there is a party every day. I was that grad student. My roommate and I rented a cute little house in a nice neighborhood (we lucked out and it was pretty cheap), our cohort used to get together in our place all the time. Especially after the finals, we partied pretty hard. Not undergrad level, but yeah, cars parked everywhere, people just sitting in the front yard and back yards -- the whole thing. I do not want to live to next to "past me" anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Noise and a lack of maintenance. My opinion, as someone who is a ways off from 55+, is that for the smaller lots that make low maintenance economically feasible from an HOA/community standpoint, you want as much of a guarantee of quiet folks in the neighborhood as you can get, and the 55+ designation goes a long way towards ensuring that.

Remember that it isn't for everyone either. My parents abhor the idea even though they're at that age. Nope, they're simply moving to a house with a first floor master suite and accessible bathrooms. And, plenty of my neighbors are elderly; they like the neighborhood and almost all the homes are one floor and they've lived here 40 years.

Okay, I had no idea these HOA's do maintenance. That makes a lot of sense to me!

Last edited by HatchChile; 03-31-2021 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-31-2021, 12:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:

I guess that makes sense. But, I am surprised it's legal. I mean can a development simply not sell these to people who aren't 50+?

!
The same reason any HOA rule is legal - it's publicly available knowledge and you agree to the terms of the restrictive covenants when you sign on the dotted line. If an HOA stopped enforcing the rule, like any other, it would become null and void.

My parents live in a 55+ community, there have been occasions over the past 10 + years that people have attempted to move in with kids, and they've been forced out every time.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:24 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The same reason any HOA rule is legal - it's publicly available knowledge and you agree to the terms of the restrictive covenants when you sign on the dotted line. If an HOA stopped enforcing the rule, like any other, it would become null and void. .
Not exactly. The law has carved out a special exemption to age discrimination laws to allow communities to do this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housin...er_Persons_Act

Old 03-31-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:

But if these communities push all of them be better, then yeah, it seems like they have a place and reason to exist.

Say WHAT?

Old 03-31-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Say WHAT?

the 55+ developments... not the people, lol. I was trying to say if they live close to each other, and try to do activities together to stay healthy than I can see how valuable could those developments/communities be. I am sorry it came out all wrong.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The same reason any HOA rule is legal - it's publicly available knowledge and you agree to the terms of the restrictive covenants when you sign on the dotted line. If an HOA stopped enforcing the rule, like any other, it would become null and void.

My parents live in a 55+ community, there have been occasions over the past 10 + years that people have attempted to move in with kids, and they've been forced out every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Not exactly. The law has carved out a special exemption to age discrimination laws to allow communities to do this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housin...er_Persons_Act

Okay, thanks, because I had my doubts that HOA could have a reach like that. It would be a housing discrimination for an HOA to say who can and who cannot live there.

Also, I should say that I recently watched a pretty terrible movie on Netflix, I think it's called "I care a lot"... where people basically scam old people. Only thing I learned from that movie is how old people can be so vulnerable. I was just trying to figure out if this one of those "we care about you" situations where they get old people into their developments and turn them into cash cows. That's why I was wondering about the legality of this whole enterprise.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Okay, thanks, because I had my doubts that HOA could have a reach like that. It would be a housing discrimination for an HOA to say who can and who cannot live there.

Also, I should say that I recently watched a pretty terrible movie on Netflix, I think it's called "I care a lot"... where people basically scam old people. Only thing I learned from that movie is how old people can be so vulnerable. I was just trying to figure out if this one of those "we care about you" situations where they get old people into their developments and turn them into cash cows. That's why I was wondering about the legality of this whole enterprise.
I think you're really reaching to find reasons to dislike/distrust 55+ communities.

You may very well feel differently when you get older.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Or not. I could technically move to one now but not for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary