Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 05:45 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

I'm 53 and for the first time have entertained the idea of 55 plus, though probably won't go that route. It's just that the very adorable baby boom in my neighborhood has resulted in a couple of families thinking that their toddlers should run up to every dog and cat, and it is making me absolutely crazed since my dog is not toddler friendly. I have explained why and the parents have told their kids my dog is THAT DOG TO STAY AWAY FROM as if she is the problem and the problem isn't that people need to not let their toddlers run up to animals.

I'm probably getting a little off track here, aren't I
i needed to vent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 11:43 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwalker60 View Post
We are seriously considering retiring in the Triangle. We are originally from Long Island NY, with some years of living near the Canadian border and now in Florida for a short time. We like the Triangle area after visiting several times but don't know much about the best communities to retire in. We enjoy walking, hiking, and outside activities. We don't want to be too far from amenities but don't want to be in a very congested area. We are concerned about meeting new people and friends. We are open to 55 and over or just an intergenerational community. Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions that would be helpful. We have been told by Realtors that Governors Club, Hasantree, Chapel ridge, and Preserve At Jordan lake are all good options. Any new communities? Any thoughts? Anyone live in any of these communities?

New community coming in the future, located near lots of stuff:

https://www.prestonfarmcary.com/

Old 04-08-2021, 12:01 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
New community coming in the future, located near lots of stuff:

https://www.prestonfarmcary.com/
Not 55+. More importantly, it's not affordable for *most* people. Starting price $630,000 for a 1,900 sq ft condo?? $925,000 for 2,500 sq feet?? PLUS the monthly condo fees? In Cary, NC????

Gimme a break.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not 55+

Saw it listed here: https://www.newhomesource.com/state/...e-adult/page-2

Old 04-08-2021, 08:56 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Yeah.
They aren't defined in ads as a HUD-Approved 55+ community, but they are advertised as designed for aging in place.
The marketing crosshairs are absolutely on senior citizens, with the intent that people move into the Searstone facilities as they age past independence.

Elevatored condos are expensive.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:34 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yeah.
They aren't defined in ads as a HUD-Approved 55+ community, but they are advertised as designed for aging in place.
The marketing crosshairs are absolutely on senior citizens, with the intent that people move into the Searstone facilities as they age past independence.

Elevatored condos are expensive.
Mike, Searstone is a CCRC, correct? Is this place CCRC as a rental business model? How is it attached to Searstone?

Old 04-10-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Mike, Searstone is a CCRC, correct? Is this place CCRC as a rental business model? How is it attached to Searstone?
Yes, Searstone is a CCRC.
https://searstone.com/what-to-ask-wh...t-communities/

These condos are on the market for purchase. I wonder if they will sell to investors? But, they are smack dab in the middle of Searstone.
https://maps.raleighnc.gov/imaps/?pin=0744623749

Held by a different entity than Samaritan Housing which owns the CCRC properties.
Probably from a need not to co-mingle title work and administration with the CCRC model, I would expect.

I believe they are serving up a portal for downsizers who expect to evolve to the CCRC model in time.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:25 AM

Took a post-Boj visit drive through Preston Farm area this AM.

Construction not yet started. No luck finding MLS# 2338078.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/prestonfarmcary/posts/

Old 04-10-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Took a post-Boj visit drive through Preston Farm area this AM.

Construction not yet started. No luck finding MLS# 2338078.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/prestonfarmcary/posts/
Says delivery in April 2022.

Like any other new construction project, assume disruption of the supply chain, which then disrupts the cost and timeline.

Some builders are adding materials cost escalation clauses to their contracts.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:45 PM

13 posts, read 23,119 times
Smile Wildwalker60

I am still here. It is interesting to read the various posts but almost none of them really answered my question except a few (for which I'm grateful.) Most of the thread went off on tangents concerning how people feel about 55+ communities. Its difficult to know an an area as large as the Triangle when you are moving from out of state and newly retired. we drove around a lot over the past week and decided we liked, Hassentree in Wake forest, Preserve at Jordan lake, Regency at White Oak in Apex. The oaks seems nice also. Any information on any of these?? It certainly does not have to be 55+but we hope there are at least some people in our age range, although being in an intergenerational community is really best for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary