Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 02:42 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,628,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Good for Hubert, but he's got his work cut out for him. Still, I'm sure he knows that going into the job. If he beats Duke at least twice during the season and makes the tournament, he'll hold the job as long as he wants it.
at least twice during the season? They split most years haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 03:11 PM

390 posts, read 440,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Good for Hubert, but he's got his work cut out for him. Still, I'm sure he knows that going into the job. If he beats Duke at least twice during the season and makes the tournament, he'll hold the job as long as he wants it.
This isn't really the bar for success at Carolina. Duke wins are always great, State wins are fine and, in fact, commonplace. But it's banners. Banners are the standard.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:35 PM

6,420 posts, read 5,559,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
This isn't really the bar for success at Carolina. Duke wins are always great, State wins are fine and, in fact, commonplace. But it's banners. Banners are the standard.
Correct. Davis came back right after a should-have-been banner season, and was there for back to back championship games; one of which resulted in a title...so he isn't "out of his league" in that regard.

I'm excited. I think they made the right choice and hope Davis sticks around for a long time! Keep the tradition of Carolina born and bred players to head coach. I dig it.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:06 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,975,800 times
Sticking with the Carolina family Hubert Davis is the best choice. I wish him the very best.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:25 PM

9 posts, read 4,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Correct. Davis came back right after a should-have-been banner season, and was there for back to back championship games; one of which resulted in a title...so he isn't "out of his league" in that regard.

I'm excited. I think they made the right choice and hope Davis sticks around for a long time! Keep the tradition of Carolina born and bred players to head coach. I dig it.
ESPN agrees with you. They've been calling it a "homerun hire" and a "historic hire" - though I missed what is historic about it. (They were using that as a teaser going to in to break but we were sitting down to dinner so I didn't get to see the segment.)

I thought Davis was born in Virginia instead of NC, though.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:55 PM

231 posts, read 237,642 times
Hubert Davis = Matt Doherty 2.0, I'm afraid.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:34 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,628,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieLowman View Post
ESPN agrees with you. They've been calling it a "homerun hire" and a "historic hire" - though I missed what is historic about it. (They were using that as a teaser going to in to break but we were sitting down to dinner so I didn't get to see the segment.)

Is he the first black basketball coach at UNC?

Old 04-05-2021, 07:13 PM

9,157 posts, read 14,834,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Is he the first black basketball coach at UNC?
He’s the first non-interim black head coach of any sort at UNC. Everette Withers had a partial year as interim football coach after they dismissed Butch Davis.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:33 PM

9 posts, read 4,882 times
So when ESPN was saying this was a "historic" hire, they meant for unc, not for something bigger than that?

(If so, that seems like a stretch to hype unc for that since there have been tons of black head coaches in the collegiate ranks prior to this.)

Old 04-05-2021, 08:26 PM

6,420 posts, read 5,559,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieLowman View Post

Wikipedia says he was born in Winston-Salem. Though it looks like he did spend most of his childhood in VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary