Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 04:24 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

I would have just backed off and gotten in behind her....always dicey in those situations. You're accelerating to get in front of her and then you realize they won't let you, nor will they go fast enough to get in behind. People are dumb. Really. i used to handle accident claims. i prefer to use both lanes as ultimately it helps move traffic and everyone should realize that's the goal. Cary is chock full of lanes that drop away for no reason. The turn from 55 to O'Kelley Chapel is the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 04:39 PM

26 posts, read 17,307 times
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I believe some countries in Europe require a driver to let the car merge in front if they are using a turn signal. Would be nice to have that over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I would have just backed off and gotten in behind her....always dicey in those situations. You're accelerating to get in front of her and then you realize they won't let you, nor will they go fast enough to get in behind. People are dumb. Really. i used to handle accident claims. i prefer to use both lanes as ultimately it helps move traffic and everyone should realize that's the goal. Cary is chock full of lanes that drop away for no reason. The turn from 55 to O'Kelley Chapel is the same way.
I was actually along side B going through the intersection and slowed down to do the zipper merge. The lane isn't long and I didn't look back. Too busy looking in front (so I don't crash) and at the same time monitoring the space between B and D.
To merge behind D I would have to drop my speed further creating a dangerous situation due to the speed differential.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikats View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I believe some countries in Europe require a driver to let the car merge in front if they are using a turn signal. Would be nice to have that over here.

People don't follow the rules we DO have! And a lot of the time don't know them....you wouldn't believe the stuff I used to hear at work.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:39 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
I was in Greensboro in construction there are signs that say stay in your lane until the end and then signs that say specifically zipper merge. Doesn't matter the guy in the lane not ending was on the horn raging out cause I "cut him off". Some people go freaking crazy behind the wheel. In the end the zipper merge would be faster for both lanes really but people lose it behind the wheel. I track a car frequently and I feel safer going triple digits with another car 10 yards off my bumper than I do going around traffic in the suburbs.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:19 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,166 times
It gets even worse if while you're trying to merge the vehicle in front of you decides at the last minute to whip into the gas station and you are trying not to read end them. (Speaking from recent experience)

Old 04-21-2021, 02:01 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
And you never know what kind of a Road Rager may be in car A B C D.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:35 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
I will say that the one thing that I hate about driving in the newer parts of Cary/Morrisville is the fact that roads go from anywhere between 2-4 lanes in short sections and tons of lanes drop into right turn lanes. I know the area well enough to know what lane I should be in (and I get that developers are slowly building out the cross section of the road) but I can get how it can be confusing and frustrating for someone new to the area who isn't quite aware of this.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:00 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
I’ve been in the area 20 or so years and am still freaked out by our signage or lack thereof. Yes lanes suddenly become turn only lanes, identified only by a couple fat arrows painted on the pavement. I’ll go a few places maybe once a year and end up with an oh sh*t moment. Increasingly there is more traffic and entitled drivers who are angry when you turn on your signal to invade “their” space. Plus there are some really bizarre entrances to some new developments that require swirling around.

IMHO we need the roads department to send out test drivers pretending to be first time drivers at that spot. Then ask how to improve warnings, readiness, and so forth to avoid potential crashes and road rage. We rely too much on longtime drivers in an area knowing the trouble spots and being prepared for sudden movements of other drivers who are either new to that area or forced to use the wrong lane because no one lets them change lanes due to crowding.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I will say that the one thing that I hate about driving in the newer parts of Cary/Morrisville is the fact that roads go from anywhere between 2-4 lanes in short sections and tons of lanes drop into right turn lanes. I know the area well enough to know what lane I should be in (and I get that developers are slowly building out the cross section of the road) but I can get how it can be confusing and frustrating for someone new to the area who isn't quite aware of this.
Yes it’s so hard for new drivers. Last minute merges and lanes that drop away are a safety issue.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:08 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

This turn is notorious also for this same issue. And also when coming straight across from Parkside Town Commons. Usually, if people don't use all 2 lanes, many cars will not make it through the green light to keep traffic moving.

Then right at the end, some idiot will keep pressing the accelerator and not let you in. The idiot is also cursing and thinking they are right, entitled. And not looking at the big picture that the lane is ending and you will eventually have to let them in.

They need to just extend that 15 ft or so double lane right before that daycare. What's the hold up, some private company owns the land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary