Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 09:17 AM

26 posts, read 17,307 times

Advertisements

Emailed the Traffic Safety Commander and they clarified the rules on merges.
Vehicles in lane 2 (lane that ends) are responsible for merging safely.
Drivers in lane 1 do not have to let others merge, it is only a courtesy. They have the right of way.
Same rules apply to highway entrance ramps.

So I did not have the right of way... Seems unfair and not intuitive. Lane is ending, turn signals in use and vehicle D has a better view + ability to avoid a dangerous situation. Whereas I realistically have to stop in my lane, which is dangerous, and wait for train of cars to pass. Or slow down even further to merge behind D which is a problem due to speed difference...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 01:02 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikats View Post
Drivers in lane 1 do not have to let others merge, it is only a courtesy. They have the right of way.

So I did not have the right of way... Seems unfair and not intuitive. Lane is ending, turn signals in use and vehicle D has a better view + ability to avoid a dangerous situation. Whereas I realistically have to stop in my lane, which is dangerous, and wait for train of cars to pass. Or slow down even further to merge behind D which is a problem due to speed difference...
It would be more dangerous for the car in the main travel lane to have to potentially stop.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:46 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
Quote:

Honestly, with how short the lane is they should just get rid of it.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:03 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post

YUP. The TOC needs to take some responsibility for all these drop away lanes.

But, this is a common refrain I hear from people who've been in an accident "they should have let me in" "they should have just let me back out"....maybe so but the person in control of the lane, roundabout, roadway, whatever - has the right of way.

They should really require passage of a written test every 10 years, but in the industry we call this "job security".

Old 04-23-2021, 04:20 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,756,246 times
Quote:

That reply from him is BS. The extra turn lane was added to move traffic from that light. Since they decided to then drop that lane off, it's up to both lanes to help drivers move back to the main lane.

Where's the email to this guy? I'll email him.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:16 PM

26 posts, read 17,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Unfortunately they can't get rid of it without backing up HWY 55 traffic (going North). It was designed to alleviate congestion.
And I'm guessing they cannot extend it due to private property or perhaps deemed it long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
That reply from him is BS. The extra turn lane was added to move traffic from that light. Since they decided to then drop that lane off, it's up to both lanes to help drivers move back to the main lane.
Where's the email to this guy? I'll email him.
As a courtesy I'll ask if I can pass along his email to you. Will DM you once I get the go ahead.

-----

On another note per Wikipedia, even zipper merges follow the same rules CPD told me.
"Most states in the United States require merging traffic to yield to through traffic which already exists in the lane they wish to enter. This further complicates the common understanding of proper merging protocol, as even though zipper merging is widely encouraged, those doing so are still legally required to yield, and those who choose not to let them merge are not doing anything wrong from a legal standpoint. Traffic already in the lane being merged into has the right of way over the merging traffic from the lane that will disappear."

Old 05-11-2021, 01:50 PM

https://www.wral.com/bill-would-make...n-nc/19672570/

Zipper merge bill in NC

Old 05-11-2021, 02:02 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Quote:
Of course this is the case. I'm surprised so many of you thought otherwise.

Y'all never get annoyed if you're stuck in the not-ending lane and somebody zooms up the right lane and then scoots in at the intersection when the lane is right-turn only? For example, Airport Blvd heading toward the airport by 40.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:31 PM

368 posts, read 295,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

Y'all never get annoyed if you're stuck in the not-ending lane and somebody zooms up the right lane and then scoots in at the intersection when the lane is right-turn only? For example, Airport Blvd heading toward the airport by 40.
Somewhat different, as that right lane on Airport Road NB at I-40 is a right-turn only lane to I-40 EB, so a driver in that lane scooting by others and then trying to squeeze in the thru lane would not be granted the same merge rights (under this law) as one in a lane that ended (such as the OP's description of the dual lefts from 55 to side roads in Cary.) So yes, I would be annoyed at them.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

You're wrong. That's not the same thing. There are 2 equal turn lanes turning left. One abruptly ends, should do a zipper merge for cars that need to come back to the lane if they couldn't do it already.

It is ridiculous to think that an aggressive driver that doesn't want even just 1 more car ahead of them has the right of way. You want this area to turn into NOVA? Have at it then, genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary