Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:23 AM

21 posts, read 76,300 times

Advertisements

Prentiss- did you have someone do a referral for you first or did you just call on your own? I did not have a referral but I asked the woman at the CDSA to please do that for me and maybe that would help. We have decided to send our little guy to Mariposa. I think my son is pretty high-functioning but after speaking to them it sounds like an avenue we would like to seek at this time. I appreciate everyone's help. Also do you know of any chatboards just for autism that I could look into?
Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,743 times
Default Cost of mariposa

Does anyone know what the tuition is at Mariposa School? I didn't see it on their web site. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,423 times
I just saw something that said it would be about $52,000 for one year. This breaks my heart because while I know my autistic 8 year old son would greatly benefit, I could never afford this. How awful to have something so promising for your child so out of reach...

Old 03-10-2009, 02:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,069 times
It depends on how often you go. For three hours in the morning, 2 days a week, its about $1040 a month. For 5 days a week its $2355 a month, but they do have grants and scholarships, and if you have the right insurance they may cover it.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,546 times
I know of a family that sent their child to Mariposa. The child has profound autism. They thought that the program was very good. I believe they felt that it was the best possible care. However, their child did not make progress, and the program is very expensive, so (last I heard) they were considering leaving.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 PM

17 posts, read 50,837 times
I am going to open a school for children that are gifted and for those that have learning disabilities. I am beginning to search for space and will fund the program through my foundation. I have experience in the field and a family member that has had many problems finding a school that is the right match and I hope to prevent at least a few children from falling through the cracks. I am an advocate for children and know that they can frequently make significant gains and reach their potential in a school that is small and provides individual attention and instruction based on their needs. I hope to find space to start out in a community building that could rent space in the North Raleigh area or a church. If you have suggestions for a facility and would like to know more please let me know.
Best wishes to all.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,066 times
This is an old thread, but I need some info on the Mariposa Autism School in Cary, NC.

I currently live in Northern California and have a 3 yr old with severe communication delays and classical autism. I was urged to look into this program and am shocked to see how expensive it is - almost $5000 a month for 5 days a week, and almost $2000 a month for 3 days a week.

They are supposed to be a NON PROFIT, but are so prohibitively expensive as to make their programs out of the reach of all, but the very well off. I am heart-broken and disheartened. It is not my son's fault that he is developmentally disabled or that he was born into a family of meager means. They also state on their website that they do not offer scholarships or tuition waivers.

------------------------------------------------------------------

[URL="http://www.mariposaschool.org/programs/one-on-one/"]One on One | mariposa[/URL]

[URL="http://www.mariposaschool.org/faq/"]FAQ | mariposa[/URL]

Do you provide scholarships?

Currently we have some students on full or partial scholarships from money provides by the State of North Carolina Autism Early Intervention Project. We do not have other scholarship money available at this time but continue to look for revenue options.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Since my son is 3 already, I do not think that he would qualify for the State's Autism Early Intervention Project, that would give him a full or partial tuition.

We could possibly use up our life savings to fund a 6 month program for 3 days a week (relocation alone would be a big drain), and, meanwhile, pray intensively that God will heal our child and give him the gift of language before our money runs out and gets him kicked out of the program.

I have a feeling that my son will benefit from them, and want to give this a try, but do need advise / feedback, though. How are Cary public schools for severely autistic / very low functioning children ? I ask because once our money is gone, we will need to move him into the local school district's autism preschool program for ongoing intervention / services. We will not be able to afford Mariposa for more than 6 months, and we need to have a plan for ongoing therapy / intervention, post-Mariposa.

Please, if anyone here is just as unfortunate enough as I am, to have child in a special ed, autism, preschool program in Cary, or has ANY information whatsoever to share about the school district's autism preschool program, I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Thank you all in advance for your time, energy and valuable advise in this regard.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
You might want to contact one of these organizations with your questions:

Wake County Autism Society

Autism Society of North Carolina

TEACCH

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,619 times
SeekingAnswers, I'm confused. Are you moving here for work? Or moving here just for your son's treatment?

If the ratio is 1:1, the cost of $5k per month does not seem that unreasonable. That is pretty high level care!!! Factor in that person's salary and benefits, specialized care such as OT or PT, plus building and administrative overhead and $5K makes sense. Just because a group is not for profit doesn't mean they don't have to balance the books.

There are many fine schools for autism. I'm not sure why you have put all your eggs in this particular basket.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM

251 posts, read 515,074 times
I have a son who is 4 and autistic. He goes to Pre-K through Wake County Schools at a local public elementary school. He is doing great. He's got a long way to go but is doing very very well. I have considered trying to send my child there but the cost is just too much. They do have social skills groups and summer programs and I am considering putting my son in one of those. My son gets ST and OT at school--both 4x a week--in addition to his regular classroom work. His teacher is wonderful and caring and he is making much more progress now than he did last year and the year before that with 5 therapies a week. We did TEACCH in the beginning and it was great also but it's too far from us to do anymore and with school, it doesn't make sense. I am extremely pleased with Wake County Public Schools' care with my son. I have an older child who goes to a magnet school downtown and when my 4 year old son and his twin sister are in Kindergarten, I hope to send them there as well as they have an AU program at my older son's school. I also want to add that my son is mainly non-verbal but is getting more words and using more signs. He didn't do this last year at his prior Pre K (he went to a different local elementary school and I transferred him for many reasons....)

Last edited by hgoodwin39; 12-29-2012 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary