Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 09:27 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times

Advertisements

1. Best Pizza? Oakwood Pizza Box
2. Best Pho?
3. Best Greek?
4. Best Burger?
5. Best Bakery/Dessert Shop? Best Cookies? Burneys, but if you’re looking for cookies definitely Bites of Sam or Salamat Dough. They sell via Instagram.
6. Best place for Cocktails?
7. Best local bar/grille/pub to the RDU Airport area? Any local cheap spots?
8. Best Italian Restaurant?
9. Best Chinese Takeout? Ni Asian Kitchen
10. Best Indian Cuisine/Buffet?
11. Best Mac and Cheese? (This is a big one...) Beasley’s Custard Pimento Mac and Cheese
12. Other Recommendations?

-Others-
13. Opinions on Bad Daddy's Burger Bar? It’s fine.
14. Is Dame's Chicken and Waffles worth a visit in Durham?
15. Is this Flying Biscuit place good? I don’t think it’s worth the wait. I’d rather go to Rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 05:34 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,164,607 times
And standard warning: we use "RDU" to refer to the airport, not the region. We call the region, "The Triangle."

Old 06-25-2021, 06:27 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
And standard warning: we use "RDU" to refer to the airport, not the region. We call the region, "The Triangle."

Lol, I just browsed another thread that was all about NC cities. Then one person who doesn't live here came in, said something along the lines of "I was impressed by CLT, but I really like RDU".... suddenly the rest of the discussion is about airports mixed with lots of confusion. It's odd to me cause no one calls Los Angeles - LAX or NY is never JFK. But, people really think RDU stands for Raleigh and Durham area. We may need a new marketing for the Triangle.

EDIT: I just realized it's the OP that confused everyone with his airport talk in another thread.

Just to be on topic, OP, your folks should go to Bulls Game in Durham. A very Triangle thing to do. And, also, go to Sarah P Duke gardens. This years it seems a bit meh due to Covid, but they should definitely check it out. It's really a great place to spend some time when the weather is nice, like today.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:17 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
IMHO Post covid, view sites like Yelp, etc need to be considered unreliable (even more than pre-covid.)

I've ALWAYS sorted reviews by most recent; who cares that a restaurant was great 2 years ago. I want to know how its been in the last 6 months - so the reviews are nearly all fir take away. Unless the place is pretty much always take away (i.e. many storefront Chinese, pizza, etc.), the reviews don't represent the dining experience.

And whatever that dining experience was pre-covid? Irrelevant now. Especially for local, small restaurants.
The prices have gone up, staff have changed, certain ingredients are hard to come by.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 06-25-2021 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-25-2021, 07:47 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Lol, I just browsed another thread that was all about NC cities. Then one person who doesn't live here came in, said something along the lines of "I was impressed by CLT, but I really like RDU".... suddenly the rest of the discussion is about airports mixed with lots of confusion. It's odd to me cause no one calls Los Angeles - LAX or NY is never JFK. But, people really think RDU stands for Raleigh and Durham area. We may need a new marketing for the Triangle.

EDIT: I just realized it's the OP that confused everyone with his airport talk in another thread.

Just to be on topic, OP, your folks should go to Bulls Game in Durham. A very Triangle thing to do. And, also, go to Sarah P Duke gardens. This years it seems a bit meh due to Covid, but they should definitely check it out. It's really a great place to spend some time when the weather is nice, like today.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...l-nc-vs-5.html Yeah as you can tell in the city vs city forum, RDU just refers to anything Wake/Orange/Durham and Chatham county lol. Not just me. Not saying its right, but RDU is definitely branded as the whole Triangle region, outside the Triangle. lol. I try to say Triangle now, but I still talk in airport codes or stuff like RDU or TPA to describe a region.

Also good suggestions from everyone so far. I joined the FB group above and will. I noticed the food so far in the triangle is very good for a metro its size. Like much better than you would think...

Old 06-25-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
IMHO Post covid, view sites like Yelp, etc need to be considered unreliable (even more than pre-covid.)

I've ALWAYS sorted reviews by most recent; who cares that a restaurant was great 2 years ago. I want to know how its been in the last 6 months - so the reviews are nearly all fir take away. Unless the place is pretty much always take away (i.e. many storefront Chinese, pizza, etc.), the reviews don't represent the dining experience.

And whatever that dining experience was pre-covid? Irrelevant now. Especially for local, small restaurants.
The prices have gone up, staff have changed, certain ingredients are hard to come by.
Yeah I don't use reviews anymore, because its just not reliable... thats why I always ask for people's favorites. Reviews and top places will just be overhyped and popular places...

Old 06-25-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
1. Best Pizza? Oakwood Pizza Box
2. Best Pho?
3. Best Greek?
4. Best Burger?
5. Best Bakery/Dessert Shop? Best Cookies? Burneys, but if you’re looking for cookies definitely Bites of Sam or Salamat Dough. They sell via Instagram.
9. Best Chinese Takeout? Ni Asian Kitchen
11. Best Mac and Cheese? (This is a big one...) Beasley’s Custard Pimento Mac and Cheese
12. Other Recommendations?

-Others-
13. Opinions on Bad Daddy's Burger Bar? It’s fine.
14. Is Dame's Chicken and Waffles worth a visit in Durham?
15. Is this Flying Biscuit place good? I don’t think it’s worth the wait. I’d rather go to Rise.
Awesome. Oakwood Pizza Box will be given for my family tonight.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:31 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Alright it's Friday - i'll take a stab at some of these questions (probably going to be Raleigh-centric since I live there)

1. Best Pizza?
DeMo's, Gino's Pizza, Hutchins Garage, Johnny's Pizza, Oakwood Pizza Box, Peri Brothers, Pizzeria Toro, V Pizza

2. Best Pho?
Anise Pho, Mekong, Pho Far East, Pho Oxtail, Saigon Pho

3. Best Greek? (I'm just gonna do Mediterranean for this category)
Aladdin's Eatery, Alexander's, Bosphorus, Charlie's Kabob Grill, Mediterranean Deli, Mediterranean Grill & Grocery, Mona Pita, Neomonde, Sassool, Sultan's Deli

4. Best Burger?
Al's Burger Shack, Bad Daddy's, Corbett's, The Cowfish, Wilson's Eatery

5. Best Bakery/Dessert Shop? Best Cookies?
Bakery - Anisette, Boulted Bread, La Farm, Layered Croissanterie, Loaf, Phoenix Bakery, Stick Boy, Utica Bakery, Yellow Dog
Desserts - Amorino Gelato, Andia's Ice Cream, Asali, Burney's, Dulce Cafe, Lucettegrace, Meet Fresh, Milk Lab, Sweet Traditions, Vida Dulce

Bar Virgile, Belltree Speakeasy, Blind Barbour, Bittersweet, C Grace, Foundation, KingFisher, SideBar, The Oak, William & Company

Local Spots - Yin Dee, Aladdin's Eatery, Taqueria Esmeralda

Cucciolo Osteria, Garibaldi Trattoria, Gocciolina, Mothers & Sons, Vivo

9. Best Chinese Takeout?
Banana Leaf, C&T Wok, Chengdu 7, Chuan Cafe, Fu Kee Express, Ni Asian Kitchen, Red Pepper Asian, Sister Liu's (dumplings)

Can't speak for buffet status but - Cilantro Indian Cafe, Dharani Express, Himalayan Nepali Cuisine, Himalayan Range Nepali, Kababish Cafe, Kathmandu Kitchen, Lime & Lemon, The Viceroy, Vimala's, Zeera

11. Best Mac and Cheese? (This is a big one...)
Backyard BBQ Pit, Beasley's, Capital Club 16, My Way Tavern, Oak City Meatball, Pooles, Relish

Old 06-25-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Alright it's Friday - i'll take a stab at some of these questions (probably going to be Raleigh-centric since I live there)

1. Best Pizza?
DeMo's, Gino's Pizza, Hutchins Garage, Johnny's Pizza, Oakwood Pizza Box, Peri Brothers, Pizzeria Toro, V Pizza

2. Best Pho?
Anise Pho, Mekong, Pho Far East, Pho Oxtail, Saigon Pho

3. Best Greek? (I'm just gonna do Mediterranean for this category)
Aladdin's Eatery, Alexander's, Bosphorus, Charlie's Kabob Grill, Mediterranean Deli, Mediterranean Grill & Grocery, Mona Pita, Neomonde, Sassool, Sultan's Deli

4. Best Burger?
Al's Burger Shack, Bad Daddy's, Corbett's, The Cowfish, Wilson's Eatery

5. Best Bakery/Dessert Shop? Best Cookies?
Bakery - Anisette, Boulted Bread, La Farm, Layered Croissanterie, Loaf, Phoenix Bakery, Stick Boy, Utica Bakery, Yellow Dog
Desserts - Amorino Gelato, Andia's Ice Cream, Asali, Burney's, Dulce Cafe, Lucettegrace, Meet Fresh, Milk Lab, Sweet Traditions, Vida Dulce

Bar Virgile, Belltree Speakeasy, Blind Barbour, Bittersweet, C Grace, Foundation, KingFisher, SideBar, The Oak, William & Company

Local Spots - Yin Dee, Aladdin's Eatery, Taqueria Esmeralda

Cucciolo Osteria, Garibaldi Trattoria, Gocciolina, Mothers & Sons, Vivo

9. Best Chinese Takeout?
Banana Leaf, C&T Wok, Chengdu 7, Chuan Cafe, Fu Kee Express, Ni Asian Kitchen, Red Pepper Asian, Sister Liu's (dumplings)

Can't speak for buffet status but - Cilantro Indian Cafe, Dharani Express, Himalayan Nepali Cuisine, Himalayan Range Nepali, Kababish Cafe, Kathmandu Kitchen, Lime & Lemon, The Viceroy, Vimala's, Zeera

11. Best Mac and Cheese? (This is a big one...)
Backyard BBQ Pit, Beasley's, Capital Club 16, My Way Tavern, Oak City Meatball, Pooles, Relish
you rock. Literally.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:58 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times
1. Best Pizza? I haven't tried some of the commonly used answers like Oakwood or Lily's, but I've always been partial to Randy's pizza, particularly the TW Alexander and Miami Blvd locations
4. Best Burger? BurgerFi. Yes, a chain! Sad but true.
6. Best place for Cocktails? C. Grace
8. Best Italian Restaurant? I have 2 answers for this. Caffe Luna for the nicely decorated well dressed downtown experience, and deliciously tasty food for a great price. Vic's City Market location for the cozy, more personal dressed down experience with amazing food that is equally as good as Luna.
9. Best Chinese Takeout? Beansprout
10. Best Indian Cuisine/Buffet? Dharani
11. Best Mac and Cheese? (This is a big one...) Backyard BBQ Pit on NC55 in Durham
12. Other Recommendations? Second Empire for fine dining and absolutely amazing food. Margaux's for a great setting with great food and a half fine dining half casual feel. Brig's at the Park in Durham for breakfast/brunch.

-Others-
13. Opinions on Bad Daddy's Burger Bar? I love their truffle parmesan fries, but their burgers are way too greasy for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah I don't use reviews anymore, because its just not reliable... thats why I always ask for people's favorites. Reviews and top places will just be overhyped and popular places...
Google reviews are pretty reliable. They remove irrelevant or obviously fake ones - I've reported quite a few that then get removed very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary