Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 01:48 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,084,473 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, family has settled in the RDU area, adjacent to airport. They have been down there quite some time now, and really do enjoy it. However... they need some suggestions on food.

So what your recommendations for the following in all of the Triangle?
1. Best Pizza?
2. Best Pho?
3. Best Greek?
4. Best Burger?
5. Best Bakery/Dessert Shop? Best Cookies?
6. Best place for Cocktails?
7. Best local bar/grille/pub to the RDU Airport area? Any local cheap spots?
8. Best Italian Restaurant?
9. Best Chinese Takeout?
10. Best Indian Cuisine/Buffet?
11. Best Mac and Cheese? (This is a big one...)
12. Other Recommendations?

-Others-
13. Opinions on Bad Daddy's Burger Bar?
14. Is Dame's Chicken and Waffles worth a visit in Durham?
15. Is this Flying Biscuit place good?

I will be down on 7/18-7/24 and again from 8/1-8/4 .. I will be hitting up any food rec's you give and judging you on your recommendations. (jk). I love the whole Triangle... and am excited to see what food you guys have!

In Greensboro I found Cheesecakes by Alex, Mythos Grill, Hops Burger Bar, Leblons Steakhouse, and Elizabeth's to have great cuisine for what it was worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 02:33 PM

853 posts, read 592,151 times
Good grief! Another one of these threads. I have popcorn cooking, will be watching.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:56 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,255,526 times
honestly, most of these are covered in threads which the Search function should easily locate.

Just for "Pizza", it's an ongoing struggle between folks from the NE who swear you can't get good pizza and long-time locals who wonder what the big deal is.

You can also search Yelp.

There's an active thread on Chinese food, and probably Indian food as well. With Covid, I can't say how many buffets there are anymore.

And before it gets added (since I see "Greek") there are no "Greek-owned diners" in the Triangle

Old 06-24-2021, 03:00 PM

as to 13-15:

My children love Bad Daddy's. It's pretty good to me, and a gigantic burger once all those toppings are on it. And I don't think I've ever seen a medium-rare request come less than medium.

Dame's Chicken and Waffles - yes, it's worth a 20 minute trip to downtown Durham. There's also 1 at 40/Harrison which might be closer.

Flying Biscuit is OK, but neither it nor Tupelo Honey are what I would consider "authentic Southern biscuits and food"

Old 06-24-2021, 03:12 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,606,754 times
Just go to Yelp, make a list of restaurants in each category that are highly rated and start trying them out! It's not like they're here for 2 days and want some recommendations - they live here so plenty of time for them to explore and figure out what they like/dislike!

I would have answered if you had a more targeted question - it'll take me an hour to respond to all your questions haha

I'll also answer 13-15 though

It's a franchise so it depends on the location! The one near downtown Raleigh is great and I've always had a good burger there but I've heard mixed reviews on other locations like Morrisville

Yes, absolutely. Maybe not the absolute best chicken & waffles I've ever had but it's pretty good for the area.

I would pass on Flying Biscuit, it's alright but not worth the hype/wait (agree with Bo about Tupelo Honey as well)

Old 06-24-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Just go to Yelp, make a list of restaurants in each category that are highly rated and start trying them out! It's not like they're here for 2 days and want some recommendations - they live here so plenty of time for them to explore and figure out what they like/dislike!

I would have answered if you had a more targeted question - it'll take me an hour to respond to all your questions haha

I'll also answer 13-15 though

It's a franchise so it depends on the location! The one near downtown Raleigh is great and I've always had a good burger there but I've heard mixed reviews on other locations like Morrisville

Yes, absolutely. Maybe not the absolute best chicken & waffles I've ever had but it's pretty good for the area.

I would pass on Flying Biscuit, it's alright but not worth the hype/wait (agree with Bo about Tupelo Honey as well)
don't you have some link to your personal faves via Yelp that I've seen?

Old 06-24-2021, 03:29 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,170,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hey guys, family has settled in the RDU area, adjacent to airport. They have been down there quite some time now, and really do enjoy it. However... they need some suggestions on food.

So what your recommendations for the following in all of the Triangle?
1. Best Pizza?
2. Best Pho?
3. Best Greek?
4. Best Burger?
5. Best Bakery/Dessert Shop? Best Cookies?
6. Best place for Cocktails?
7. Best local bar/grille/pub to the RDU Airport area? Any local cheap spots?
8. Best Italian Restaurant?
9. Best Chinese Takeout?
10. Best Indian Cuisine/Buffet?
11. Best Mac and Cheese? (This is a big one...)
12. Other Recommendations?

-Others-

I will be down on 7/18-7/24 and again from 8/1-8/4 .. I will be hitting up any food rec's you give and judging you on your recommendations. (jk). I love the whole Triangle... and am excited to see what food you guys have!

In Greensboro I found Cheesecakes by Alex, Mythos Grill, Hops Burger Bar, Leblons Steakhouse, and Elizabeth's to have great cuisine for what it was worth.
Five Star Chinese (awesome ribs) for Chinese, Thaiphoon for Thai, Beasley's Chicken + Honey, that NY Pizza place around the corner...

There are so many good restaurants to choose from in Raleigh. They won't have a problem finding some good spots.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:31 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,606,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
don't you have some link to your personal faves via Yelp that I've seen?
Oh yeah - here's a mini list that I had put together at some point of favorites: https://www.yelp.com/collection/YHFRujXYPqnpuVKOlYDjCA

Old 06-24-2021, 05:06 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,619,007 times
Tell them to join the Chapel Hill Carrboro Foodies group on Facebook - it IS heavily skewed to Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Durham but every so often talks about other places. A lot of the restaurant owners are there and foodie people who love to share their recommendations. Best thing on Facebook, IMO. Maybe there is one for other areas of the triangle too, I just don't know of it.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:22 PM

1,204 posts, read 781,930 times
I recommend you go to True Flavors Diner instead of Dame’s. Their Lakewood area restaurant had to shut down due to COVID. So you have to go to the original location, Hwy 55. If you want to check something out in Durham, come for lunch and go to Saltbox. Lowkey and really good fast seafood, true Durham gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary