Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
You can walk from the Warehouse District in Raleigh to Mellow Mushroom on Peace and get all the bars, breweries, galleries, restaurants, and hippy dippy vibe you want, lol.
Meh, 1 street for 5-6 blocks isn't really enough for me lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 11:40 AM

36 posts, read 24,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andibo View Post
I live in Chapel Hill, and just got back from a short trip to Asheville (my first ever) today. Not to whine, but why can't we have nice things like that? I don't mean just in CH, but no place in the metro Triangle region has a residential artists' community, 100s of independent small shops on walkable streets, a thriving indie arts scene and -most important- 1000s of people out socializing in area parks, cafes, and patios? How did this happen? And, how can we promote more of this in our region?
One big difference is that Asheville has more control over its downtown. For example, NC DOT controls Franklin St in Chapel Hill (and Main St. in Carrboro), which means it's difficult to do the kind of things—widening sidewalks, adding protected bike lanes, etc.—that allow for walkable communities.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:55 AM

425 posts, read 418,401 times
I just got back from a two week visit to Poltava, Ukraine. While I was there, I had some similar thoughts as the OP.

"What a nice place this is... The architecture, wide sidewalks, variety of cafes, affordable bargains in the bazaar, all the people out walking and enjoying the summer days."

(The lack of aggressive beggars such as I would encounter in Asheville is also a plus.)

The USA over-regulates and restricts small businesses, in my opinion. You don't see little shops and vendors clustered around bus stops here, right next to the sidewalks.

Last edited by SGMI; 07-06-2021 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-06-2021, 01:13 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Cities are places where lots of people are out and about because... lots of people are about.

Asheville has as many hotel rooms as Raleigh (but certainly much closer in!), and as many near-downtown (<1 mile) residents as Durham.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:17 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
I just got back from a two week visit to Poltava, Ukraine. While I was there, I had some similar thoughts as the OP.

"What a nice place this is... The architecture, wide sidewalks, variety of cafes, affordable bargains in the bazaar, all the people out walking and enjoying the summer days."

(The lack of aggressive beggars such as I would encounter in Asheville is also a plus.)

The USA over-regulates and restricts small businesses, in my opinion. You don't see little shops and vendors clustered around bus stops here, right next to the sidewalks.

Like we say in Russian "не смеши мои тапочки" -- do not make my shoes giggle by saying silly things. You cannot even imagine how much stuff is over regulated in Post Soviet countries. Just because you do not have little fresh markets everywhere selling apricots or peaches, doesn't mean stuff isn't over-regulated. Just like in all developing countries, all of that crap is loose because in many cases that's the only way people survive. To sell your stuff you literally have to get the permission and put up your tent. The inspector may show up or he/she may never show up to see what you are selling. If someone gets salmonella eating their pirozhki, good luck. You'll never be able to prove or stop those vendors selling their stuff. But, try opening a legitimate business out there and see how many official and non-official barriers you are going to hit.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Asheville is a nice place to visit or retire to if you have the $$. But if you are looking for a job out that way and don't work in healthcare or hospitality you are in for a harsh reality check.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:25 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Just adding in, it's mainly the issue of cities that's good to live in vs cities that's good to visit. most tourist cities are gonna have more people out in about, I'll also add that a lot of people here don't explore their own backyards enough. All of my friends that grew up here, barely know anything when I ask them, "hey have you checked out xyz spot" It's always no lol. Or, when I take them some where, they ask me "when did they build this, when did this get here, etc etc" I'm not saying that's 100% of the case, but for a lot of people here, I've notice a lot of people here, aren't exploring enough.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:33 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Just adding in, it's mainly the issue of cities that's good to live in vs cities that's good to visit. most tourist cities are gonna have more people out in about, I'll also add that a lot of people here don't explore their own backyards enough. All of my friends that grew up here, barely know anything when I ask them, "hey have you checked out xyz spot" It's always no lol. Or, when I take them some where, they ask me "when did they build this, when did this get here, etc etc" I'm not saying that's 100% of the case, but for a lot of people here, I've notice a lot of people here, aren't exploring enough.
You hit it exactly on the head. I mean I don't blame people, they move here, they figure out what they like and they roll with it. Routines and familiar things can help with a sense of stability.

I try and make it a point to go somewhere in the Triangle or surrounding area that I haven't been to before each week whether that's a new restaurant, brewery, park etc... (I like it because it's helped me explore/become familiar with areas of the Triangle that I wouldn't have set foot in otherwise, good or bad)

Old 07-07-2021, 03:04 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
So what are the parts of the region that have the most of what the OP likes about Asheville?

So far there's been mention of Old Town Durham and the Warehouse District of Raleigh. Any other parts of note? Of the two mentioned, which one has maybe the largest contiguous expanse of pleasant urbanity?

Old 07-07-2021, 05:47 PM

94 posts, read 57,195 times
To put it succinctly, Asheville is a creative hub while Raleigh is a bedroom community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary