Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 4,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnorth View Post
One big difference is that Asheville has more control over its downtown. For example, NC DOT controls Franklin St in Chapel Hill (and Main St. in Carrboro), which means it's difficult to do the kind of things—widening sidewalks, adding protected bike lanes, etc.—that allow for walkable communities.
Can you explain more? What do you mean by "NC DOT controls Franklin St?" In what way that is different from Asheville streets? I am new to NC so if there are city ordinances I would like to learn about them.

Also, what is stopping the growth of art galleries, theaters, unique shops and non-student-focused restaurants along Franklin/cross-streets and adjacent Rosemary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 08:44 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
One big difference is that Asheville has more control over its downtown. For example, NC DOT controls Franklin St in Chapel Hill (and Main St. in Carrboro), which means it's difficult to do the kind of things—widening sidewalks, adding protected bike lanes, etc.—that allow for walkable communities.
Broadway/Biltmore Ave in downtown Asheville is maintained by NCDOT

Also pre-COVID, Chapel Hill was working with a consultant to put protected bike lanes on Franklin St, not sure what happened with that project. My company is currently working with Carrboro on a road diet project on Main St between Weaver and Rosemary that will include bike lanes. So things are happening on that front.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:48 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Raleigh is hippy dippy? Since when?
Haven't you seen all those hipsters walking around? I see them quite too often.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:54 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andibo View Post
Also, what is stopping the growth of art galleries, theaters, unique shops and non-student-focused restaurants along Franklin/cross-streets and adjacent Rosemary?
There isn't enough space, and aren't enough non-student customers, to make it worthwhile. Since half of the town's population are students, any restaurant that doesn't cater to them is limiting itself to a small slice of the market -- a big risk given that a restaurant space in Chapel Hill might cost $75,000/year in rent, and so probably needs to gross $1.3M or so; much easier doing that by feeding students frequently, rather than townies infrequently.

Columbia University enrolls about as many students as UNC-CH, but it doesn't dominate neighborhood retail to anywhere near the same extent because... Columbia is surrounded by high-rises filled with normal New Yorkers. UNC is surrounded by big houses owned by pharma executives commuting to RTP.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Rent. Really high rent.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:57 PM

36 posts, read 24,192 times
Quote:
Can you explain more? What do you mean by "NC DOT controls Franklin St?" In what way that is different from Asheville streets? I am new to NC so if there are city ordinances I would like to learn about them.

North Carolina gives local governments limited power, particularly when compared to some states. This extends to major roads, which are maintained by the state. In order for Chapel Hill to add bike lanes, extend sidewalks, etc., on a DOT maintained road (or a road that impacts the DOT), they have to get permission. NC DOT, like almost every other DOT, is generally not supportive of efforts to make streets slower and safer.

While every city and town has some DOT-maintained roads, they usually have other streets nearby that can accommodate things like bike lanes, traffic calming, etc.

My sense that downtown Chapel Hill's problems are caused by a mixture of high rents, uncooperative building owners, and overly restrictive development rules due to the historic/neighborhood conservation districts.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:20 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
North Carolina gives local governments limited power, particularly when compared to some states. This extends to major roads, which are maintained by the state. In order for Chapel Hill to add bike lanes, extend sidewalks, etc., on a DOT maintained road (or a road that impacts the DOT), they have to get permission. NC DOT, like almost every other DOT, is generally not supportive of efforts to make streets slower and safer.

While every city and town has some DOT-maintained roads, they usually have other streets nearby that can accommodate things like bike lanes, traffic calming, etc.

My sense that downtown Chapel Hill's problems are caused by a mixture of high rents, uncooperative building owners, and overly restrictive development rules due to the historic/neighborhood conservation districts.
You do know there are bike lanes on Rosemary and Cameron north and south of Franklin Street right?

Old 07-08-2021, 05:20 PM

36 posts, read 24,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
You do know there are bike lanes on Rosemary and Cameron north and south of Franklin Street right?
Yes, but there should be bike lanes on all three streets, preferably protected bike lanes on Cameron and Franklin. If there were bike lanes on Franklin, downtown businesses would get more traffic.

Old 07-08-2021, 05:38 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Haven't you seen all those hipsters walking around? I see them quite too often.
Hipster isn’t hippie.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:11 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Hipster isn’t hippie.
Ok, my mistake. I was thinking that hippy dippy meant the latter.

Totally forgot about the earthy crunchy crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary