Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,388 times

Advertisements

I live in Chapel Hill, and just got back from a short trip to Asheville (my first ever) today. Not to whine, but why can't we have nice things like that? I don't mean just in CH, but no place in the metro Triangle region has a residential artists' community, 100s of independent small shops on walkable streets, a thriving indie arts scene and -most important- 1000s of people out socializing in area parks, cafes, and patios? How did this happen? And, how can we promote more of this in our region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 08:52 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,286,364 times
Quote:
1000s of people out socializing in area parks, cafes, and patios?
We definitely have that.

I think it's apples to oranges - two completely different areas. Many people come to the Triangle for jobs, health care, universities. People go to Asheville for the mountains, and the environment you describe. There's probably not a ton of overlap between the two, but from what I've heard you can maybe find that sort of environment in Carrboro.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:35 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,255,341 times
Quote:
but no place in the metro Triangle region has a residential artists' community
Well, you could always start one

Old 07-05-2021, 09:47 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,861,640 times
Seagrove might be worth a visit for you. It’s Piedmont rather than Triangle, but it’s probably about as close to Chapel Hill as Johnston County.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:37 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Asheville: A great place to visit!

Old 07-06-2021, 05:46 AM

1,204 posts, read 780,507 times
Interesting thoughts. I was in Asheville pre-Covid and thought it was cute. I then went there recently, end of May of this year. I was there for a week and had to explore it a lot. There were lots of things I liked, but, my overall impression was: I prefer the Triangle area. Asheville wasn't appealing to me that much.

I loved the nature though. I did a lot of hikes when I was there. I also liked how the place felt industrial, all those big industrial buildings along the river felt really cool. The downtown was very neat although there were some confederate flag waving protests (some monument thing I think) which was a turn off for me. I stayed out of DT after that and mostly hanged out at Brewery district, and found some neat places along the river. I was surprised how things changed drastically when you stepped a foot outside of Asheville proper. It really felt like a bubble to me.

Things I didn't like: not diverse. I am so used to now for the NC cities being diverse, and this wasn't the case. Also, not much of diversity in terms of jobs, economy or age. You only seem to see independently wealthy people who retire there, or lower-middle class who are there for the service industry. There is no solid professional class like we have here. Also, there weren't that many young people. Overall the place seemed to skew older to me. Anyway, I could totally see myself getting bored there in about 3 months. I like the vibrancy of the Triangle. Even during summer when students are away, Chapel Hill seems so much more vibrant than Asheville (just in case y'all would say that late May was probably when students were away).

Old 07-06-2021, 06:37 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,509,871 times
Minus the Blue Ridge setting.....Old West Durham would seem to "fit the bill" as far as giving the same sort of vibe OP admires about Asheville.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:29 AM

66 posts, read 58,874 times
Triangle is stuck in Stone Age bruh....they don't do that, you learn to love that

Old 07-06-2021, 07:34 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,880,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2m11 View Post
Triangle is stuck in Stone Age bruh....they don't do that, you learn to love that
Huh? You live in Houston, right? And you visited The Triangle just last month and seemed pretty impressed, bruh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2m11 View Post
Went for a walk and wow have to say, impressed with the changes. I see the AC Hotel is almost ready to go, that is an impressive looking structure! Imagine the good times to be had there...oh my word

And then bloc 83 is a beauty too. You add all those together, and the new other stuff they will build, I have too say. From someone who has been critical (just a bit) of Glenwood South, this is going to really change the landscape in a significant way! You start putting people in those places and retail this is no longer the Glenwood of old that I have-admittedly-been critical of at times.

Smoky hollow, that place hasn't even taken off the ground yet...

Old 07-06-2021, 07:44 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,509,299 times
I don't blame you for having some of that envy, I do too when it comes to Asheville. Their downtown is very walkable and has tons of unique local shops, bars, restaurants, breweries, art galleries, etc. I too would like to have those things in a large area of our downtown but indeed maybe with less of the hippy dippy vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary