Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 07:05 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times

Advertisements

Wow ok so it’s not a frequent thing at all. I’ve been here 7 years and have never been called so I was wondering if I had missed something but I guess that’s not abnormal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 07:54 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
It had been about 20 years since I was last called (over two different states).

Old 12-19-2021, 10:19 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
how often do people get called for jury duty around here?
I moved here 16 years ago and have been called for jury duty 3 times. Two of those times I actually had to go in. My husband has only been called one time and he also had to go in. Our daughter has never been called in during her adult years here (11 years).

Old 12-19-2021, 11:00 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
I got called in back in June for Federal in Raleigh. Waiting area was fairly crowded; 100 people were called in. Most were masked, even though the signs all said they were required. I chalked it up to reading comprehension issues.

They pulled the first 13 people picked in first, everyone else sat in the gallery portion of the court room. Interviews and then disqual.

I was in the next 8 picked and ended up not getting disqualed and ultimately ended up being the foreperson. Masks were worn in the deliberation room.

Old 12-19-2021, 02:08 PM

307 posts, read 296,448 times
JD in Raleigh is luxurious compared to most places. Waiting room and area is nice. Doesn't it have a snack machine and Wi-Fi and magazines still? I got called in Franklin county once and had to sit on uncomfortable church pews in a damp smelling room that looked like my old high school that was built in the 40's. It felt like I was in My Cousin Vinny. I _think_ they've built a new court house since then.

The CRJU system RAKES in money from the public, and especially from the poor and uneducated. You'd think they could pay a LIVING wage day rate. Just raise the DUI fines and that will cover it here. $12/day is an insult and if you want to get the public engaged in their community (surprise, they dont), it should be at least $100/day per person. Even podunk Alabama pays $40/day on top of mileage reimbursement.

Can't you just say you have COVID symptoms or risk and get dismissed? Do they require you to be vaccinated to be in the room full of people?

Sometimes the cases are interesting. A coworker of mine got selected for a murder trial where the victim was bludgeoned to death with a brick. A lot of stuff gets plead down or settled OOC too. There are a lot of bad lawyers and cops that make mistakes all the time getting cases dismissed, but all the TV and Podcast propaganda makes everyone think that the system works for us until you've had to participate in it first hand. While it wasn't going before a jury, I saw a guy who got stopped for a DUI (.08) that was in the jail for 2 YEARS because he didn't speak English. His court appointed attorney allowed it to happen until somebody from some civil group stepped in and helped out. The corporate prison system profits a lot from every bed used.

Old 12-19-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
Can't you just say you have COVID symptoms or risk and get dismissed?
Sure, if you would like to be a deadbeat that can't be bothered to do their civic duty for one day over the course of many years.

It's also a crime.

Old 12-19-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Sure, if you would like to be a deadbeat that can't be bothered to do their civic duty for one day over the course of many years.

It's also a crime.
Well, some people just can't afford to go. If they dont pay enough to support the person, they shouldn't be able to call you. You can claim that doesnt impact people's livelihoods but thats not true. I am fortunate enough to have a job and resources that allow me to participate and it interests me. FWIW, I was a CRJU major....20 years ago.

Civil duty is a myth just like work ethic. That myth is there to promote somebody else's career and fill their pockets. For instance, if they actually cared about people getting killed by drunk drivers, they'd make the consequences harsh enough to truly put a dent in the number of cases. In Amsterdam, you get popped, you lose your license for life. Here, I've seen 1 person with 17 DUIs. The courts and the ecosystem of companies that profit from the process is a system meant to reach into your wallet and keep extracting all they can until you're used up and they throw you away.

As for it being a crime, so what? Do you drive the speed limit all the time? Is that good or bad? Laws are just rules that some person was able to get contracted to be enforced by the state, often with violence.

And I got called twice in 400 days when I lived here the last time.

Old 12-19-2021, 02:39 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Lived here since 1987. Served on a Wake County jury once (civil case) and a federal jury once (criminal case). Called two other times by Wake County but was unable to serve.

Old 12-19-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
Well, some people just can't afford to go. If they dont pay enough to support the person, they shouldn't be able to call you. You can claim that doesnt impact people's livelihoods but thats not true. I am fortunate enough to have a job and resources that allow me to participate and it interests me. FWIW, I was a CRJU major....20 years ago.

Civil duty is a myth just like work ethic. That myth is there to promote somebody else's career and fill their pockets. For instance, if they actually cared about people getting killed by drunk drivers, they'd make the consequences harsh enough to truly put a dent in the number of cases. In Amsterdam, you get popped, you lose your license for life. Here, I've seen 1 person with 17 DUIs. The courts and the ecosystem of companies that profit from the process is a system meant to reach into your wallet and keep extracting all they can until you're used up and they throw you away.

As for it being a crime, so what? Do you drive the speed limit all the time? Is that good or bad? Laws are just rules that some person was able to get contracted to be enforced by the state, often with violence.

And I got called twice in 400 days when I lived here the last time.
Who in this thread said they couldn't afford jury duty?

Also, not that it matters at all, but can you provide a link to the Amsterdam DUI punishments, I can't find anything that checks out to what you say.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:28 PM

Interesting. I guess I'm wrong and should research it before posting. I thought it was permanent at least on the second offense. I honestly believed it was supposed to be more strict, but I'm not going to the Netherlands any time soon.

https://smartadvocaten.nl/en/traffic...nder-influence

Just a quick search and I LOL'd at Sweden:
Sweden
Sweden’s driving under the influence laws can seem like a good or a bad thing, depending on your bank account. If you are charged with a DUI in Sweden, the amount of money in your bank account will determine your fine. The less money you have, the less you owe and vice versa. One Swedish resident had to pay $21, 000 for his DUI, that’s one expensive mistake.

https://www.dwispringfield.com/blog/...und-the-world/

If this is true, Russia is permanent which is weird because they have a huge alcoholism problem there.

I am not trying to go off into the weeds into an argument here. I'm sure my views dont belong in this thread anyway and I think few people probably share mine. My point is people in this country are a commodity to be processed by the various systems that become the way in which they experience existence. The Matrix is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary