Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 08:00 AM

47 posts, read 51,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Have you even googled homes for sale on <location> before jumping straight to this sub forum? Even a glance at a local news site? This will tell you all you need to know. You seem to be coming in woth 0 information. This is one of the fastest growing (in both size and price) areas of the country!

To stay in your price range, you're going to be out in a very rural area.
Googled and Realtor.com and going on websites is all that I have been doing. Sorry to take up your time. Thought could get information on area not housing. Again sorry to step on anyone's toes. Just FYI I would never move somewhere that I do not know about or put myself where I can not have a roof over my head with food on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 07:34 PM

740 posts, read 472,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephsmom93 View Post
Googled and Realtor.com and going on websites is all that I have been doing. Sorry to take up your time. Thought could get information on area not housing. Again sorry to step on anyone's toes. Just FYI I would never move somewhere that I do not know about or put myself where I can not have a roof over my head with food on the table.
You haven't stepped on anyone's toes. Just ignore any response that isn't helpful to you. I see you are posting on the triad thread.... good for you. I'm sorry I personally have no advice to give as I am in the triangle, but I do hope you find all the information you are looking for and wish you the best of luck in your potential move to NC !

Old 01-28-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
You haven't stepped on anyone's toes. Just ignore any response that isn't helpful to you. I see you are posting on the triad thread.... good for you. I'm sorry I personally have no advice to give as I am in the triangle, but I do hope you find all the information you are looking for and wish you the best of luck in your potential move to NC !

I posted in both as I do not know the difference and one of the people on here said too. Can you tell me what the difference is please other then location?

Old 01-28-2022, 10:31 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
The Triad refers to Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point. The Triangle is Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:10 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
The Triangle has been booming for decades, and contains the Research Triangle Park with various tech/biotech companies. The Triad once was doing well from tobacco, furniture and textile industries, but with the decline/offshoring of those, has not seen the success the Triangle has. Raleigh and Winston-Salem were similar sized when I moved from the latter to the former. Three decades or so later, Raleigh is now nearly double the size of Winston. This has driven up land prices (and, thus, home prices) in Raleigh.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:52 PM

Thank you everyone very much after a lot of thinking and number crunching I have decided to rent for 6 months to a year and see how the market is then and I will be in the area to be able to look at the homes in person not over the internet. Now just need to find a place to rent. Again thank you for all your thoughts and advice.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:56 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone very much after a lot of thinking and number crunching I have decided to rent for 6 months to a year and see how the market is then and I will be in the area to be able to look at the homes in person not over the internet. Now just need to find a place to rent. Again thank you for all your thoughts and advice.
Just to be clear; are you meaning to post this in the Triad (Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point) section of C-D?

I see you have been commenting in both sections and it should be stressed that $1000/month rent would be tight even for a 1 bedroom apartment in the Triangle area (here; where you are posting,)...and realistically would need to be almost doubled if you were hoping to rent a 3/2 single family home. Unless you were saving 5 figures PER-MONTH in that 6 month time period ; it would also be pretty difficult to save for a downpayment to purchase a home in the Triangle that would have a monthly budget of anything close to $1000/month in mortgage.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:05 PM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
So the mortgage payment does not also have some going to escrow for the taxes , homeowners insurance. I will be doing FHA and the money at down is between 10,000--18.000. We can not be too remote as we work from home and will need good internet not wifi.
If Internet access is the primary concern, you will need to do your research on the specific locations you are looking to rent from/purchase.

For instance: I was looking at renting a small duplex just 8 miles outside of Chapel Hill in Chatham County. This particular location did not work for me because it did not have any internet providers whatsoever and I would have had to use a Verizon wireless hotspot - slow and expensive. Moreover, it wasn't cheap due to its proximity to Chapel Hill, even though it had paltry infrastructure.

My parents OTOH live in Western NC in the mountains, fully 2 hours from a city of reasonable size. They have fiber optic internet provided through the power company that is many times faster than the Spectrum service I receive in an urban setting only 2 miles from UNC.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
If Internet access is the primary concern, you will need to do your research on the specific locations you are looking to rent from/purchase.

For instance: I was looking at renting a small duplex just 8 miles outside of Chapel Hill in Chatham County. This particular location did not work for me because it did not have any internet providers whatsoever and I would have had to use a Verizon wireless hotspot - slow and expensive. Moreover, it wasn't cheap due to its proximity to Chapel Hill, even though it had paltry infrastructure.

My parents OTOH live in Western NC in the mountains, fully 2 hours from a city of reasonable size. They have fiber optic internet provided through the power company that is many times faster than the Spectrum service I receive in an urban setting only 2 miles from UNC.

Thank you for the information.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:50 PM

85 posts, read 199,546 times
What part of Texas are you from?

Other than mortgage $$$ what type of area (amenities) are you looking for?

I live in the DFW Metroplex and in NC part-time. NC is very expensive and you don't or won't get much for the $$$ like Texas. You can buy a 2,500 sf, 3-4 bdrm, brick, 2 car garage for $100,000 in Texas. In the RDU area that will get you a starter home, no garage and plywood exterior or vinyl siding; basically a matchbox.

If you're set on the RDU area, would suggest west of Raleigh. You "might" find something in Clayton (Johnston Co); Wendell or Zebulon. Housing and equitable housing pricing is a very hot topic here in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary