Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 09:48 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
One big advantage for me is the Kindle's ability to adjust the font size. I have VERY poor near vision. Even with my 4.5 readers (required!), I have trouble with the small print of paperbacks. The Kindle portability is great - I can just throw the thing in my purse. Can't do that with a hardback and difficult with a paperback. .....
I still have my old Kindle, since it is about 9 x 12 inches, large enough to read easily. I have been buying newer books from Amazon, since it is hard to get current books through Libbby. Libby is good for classics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 11:36 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I still have my old Kindle, since it is about 9 x 12 inches, large enough to read easily. I have been buying newer books from Amazon, since it is hard to get current books through Libbby. Libby is good for classics.
I pretty much read books/novels released in the last 5 years, though not necessarily brand new releases. I'd guess that Libby has 75% of what I look for Kindle. But I have cards at both wake and Durham libraries, so I have a wider choice.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:51 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
PS Additional Prime benefit: Free books (often crappy, but not always) and a borrowing library of books (often good ones) with long checkout times (unlike the public library).
We have not had an issue with check out times at the library, which is 3 weeks for the initial check-out. You can usually renew on-line, and as noted below, they will now auto-renew your books (with a few exceptions).

"For your convenience, we will automatically renew your items where possible. Lucky Day books, items requested by other patrons, and items that have reached their maximum number of two renewals, cannot be renewed."

Old 02-13-2022, 01:53 PM

222 posts, read 218,551 times
Quote:
I rarely go to the library anymore as I read books on my kindle. But the new Cary Library was really nice with a larger selection than most of the other Wake County libraries.
The Cary downtown library is actually one of the smaller regional libraries, with a smaller collection than that of West Regional or North Regional.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I am actually surprised that your older Kindle is still working OK with Overdrive (since Libby doesn't work on a b/w Kindle) - Overdrive has been doing a bunch of security patches and older models of Kindle Fire and some tablets are now boat anchors.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I know somebody knows better than I do, but North Regional (near North Ridge) was built in 1995 and looks like last remodeled in 2006. Does anyone know the reason they needed to close for 6 months or more for remodeling?
Structural and ADA compliance.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:12 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
I am actually surprised that your older Kindle is still working OK with Overdrive (since Libby doesn't work on a b/w Kindle) ...
Libby sends the book to Amazon. Then I have to download the book, plug in the Kindle, and then copy the download file to the Kindle. My Kindle was purchased in 2010, and I do not want to replace it.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Libby sends the book to Amazon. Then I have to download the book, plug in the Kindle, and then copy the download file to the Kindle. My Kindle was purchased in 2010, and I do not want to replace it.
Right, I get that. Libby can indeed be used to send the book to Amazon. It is one of the cooler aspects of Libby for Kindle users.

The fact that you are "plugging in your Kindle" and copying a file tells me you are already working around the fact that you have an older Kindle. If you had a new(er) Kindle you'd just send the book via wifi. Then you are not tethered to a cord to sideload the books.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:45 AM

84 posts, read 155,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Right, I get that. Libby can indeed be used to send the book to Amazon. It is one of the cooler aspects of Libby for Kindle users.

The fact that you are "plugging in your Kindle" and copying a file tells me you are already working around the fact that you have an older Kindle. If you had a new(er) Kindle you'd just send the book via wifi. Then you are not tethered to a cord to sideload the books.
I have a 2017 Kindle Oasis and can add books either way but prefer using Calibre to sideload books. It allows me to make sure the metadata is correct and I can set the cover to be what I want it to be. Calibre also allows me to organize my collections of books.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
I have a 2017 Kindle Oasis and can add books either way but prefer using Calibre to sideload books. It allows me to make sure the metadata is correct and I can set the cover to be what I want it to be. Calibre also allows me to organize my collections of books.
You sideload library books via Calibre - or books you purchase? For library books I cannot imagine why sideloading...since you don't keep/own the book. I sometimes sideload prepubs I get because the metadata is a mess (ie, no author field) but other than that...Libby has a terrific wishlist tagging function that allows you to keep track of books you read/want to read/ etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary