Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 12:17 PM

6,828 posts, read 9,085,878 times

Advertisements

I visited the Duraleigh branch (Raleigh) after their renovation. Although they were still doing some painting (?) work around the rear entrance and the bathrooms. They added some offices and you can see very well how much smaller the adult section is. There seemed to be fewer tables and chairs. They seem to have expanded the children's section quite a bit. Computers were against the wall and seemed about the same, just not in a central location any more.

I would have gone to North Regional but *they* are doing renovations now, until June 2022.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 08:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,273,089 times
I know somebody knows better than I do, but North Regional (near North Ridge) was built in 1995 and looks like last remodeled in 2006. Does anyone know the reason they needed to close for 6 months or more for remodeling?

Old 02-11-2022, 05:16 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,142,242 times
I don't know if this is a precedent, but the renovations to the Olivia Raney Local History Library took way longer than the 6 months they predicted. Was it materials shortage, or difficulties getting workers before Covid vaccines were available?

Olivia Raney was a good genealogy resource that was worth travelling a long distance to visit.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:29 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,946,865 times
I rarely go to the library anymore as I read books on my kindle. But the new Cary Library was really nice with a larger selection than most of the other Wake County libraries.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:49 AM

6,659 posts, read 5,614,432 times
I also rarely go to the library and just borrow all my ebooks for free via Libby

Old 02-11-2022, 11:50 AM

6,828 posts, read 9,085,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I also rarely go to the library and just borrow all my ebooks for free via Libby
What device do yo have? Kindle, iPad etc? I mostly buy my books for my iPad Kindle reader. I should look into borrowing.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:03 PM

311 posts, read 889,379 times
I live close to 2 branches (NE Regional and Wake Forest) but I put in hold requests for 98% of the books I want to read. They are out there at other branches and I get the convenience of requesting them to be delivered to my preferred branch. Easy-peesy. Just like their new RFID checkout/in system.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:04 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,614,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
What device do yo have? Kindle, iPad etc? I mostly buy my books for my iPad Kindle reader. I should look into borrowing.
I have an iPad - download the Libby app and link your Wake County library card to it. You can transfer the books to your Kindle as well I think. 90% of what I have searched for has been available on there besides some obscure books and the popular books will sometimes have a lengthy wait time (if you don't want to wait 1-2 months). Always check Libby though before you buy a book! You can save a ton of money

Old 02-11-2022, 12:55 PM

5,910 posts, read 7,008,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I rarely go to the library anymore as I read books on my kindle.
I tried a Kindle and gave up. I also saw where you retain things better when reading from a physical book vs eBook, so that was it for me. My BH goes through about 5-6 books a week. Our local branch (Middle Creek) is pretty small, so she gets a lot of things on-line, to be picked up at the local branch.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:11 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,946,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
One big advantage for me is the Kindle's ability to adjust the font size. I have VERY poor near vision. Even with my 4.5 readers (required!), I have trouble with the small print of paperbacks. The Kindle portability is great - I can just throw the thing in my purse. Can't do that with a hardback and difficult with a paperback.

I switched to a Kindle paperwhite several years ago. Love that I can use it in the dark while DH sleeps (which isn't possible with a standard kindle).

PS Additional Prime benefit: Free books (often crappy, but not always) and a borrowing library of books (often good ones) with long checkout times (unlike the public library).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary