Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 08:19 AM

6,828 posts, read 9,093,340 times

Advertisements

Is there a solution for first gen Kindle? I mean the *original*. I was going to give it to someone or sell it but not sure if it has any value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 08:28 AM

84 posts, read 156,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
You sideload library books via Calibre - or books you purchase? For library books I cannot imagine why sideloading...since you don't keep/own the book. I sometimes sideload prepubs I get because the metadata is a mess (ie, no author field) but other than that...Libby has a terrific wishlist tagging function that allows you to keep track of books you read/want to read/ etc.
Both. I like having folders on my computer with dates that books will be auto-returned to library. Kind of a subliminal way of forcing myself to read before the return date. My one form of OCD.

My Oasis goes with me everywhere. love it. Add my daily subscription to WaPo and it is really a must have for me.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:33 AM

222 posts, read 220,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Is there a solution for first gen Kindle? I mean the *original*. I was going to give it to someone or sell it but not sure if it has any value?
You could try selling it back to Amazon and upgrading - they might give you a few dollars. But first gen, I guessing no?

Old 03-01-2022, 08:34 AM

222 posts, read 220,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
Both. I like having folders on my computer with dates that books will be auto-returned to library. Kind of a subliminal way of forcing myself to read before the return date. My one form of OCD.

My Oasis goes with me everywhere. love it. Add my daily subscription to WaPo and it is really a must have for me.
That's interesting! even though you can see the due dates on Libby?

Old 03-01-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
That's interesting! even though you can see the due dates on Libby?
Yeah just my OCD nature. I know I am making it waaay more difficult than it needs to be but it kind of helps me put priority on which books to read first and which to hold off on borrowing and it gives me a kick in the seat of the pants to finish the ones I am currently reading.

At the moment: "The Doctor Who Whoology"--Cavan Scott, "Project Hail Mary: a Novel"--Andy Weir, and "How to be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question"--Michael Schur.

My ADD keeps me from reading just one book at a time

Old 03-01-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
You could try selling it back to Amazon and upgrading - they might give you a few dollars. But first gen, I guessing no?
Shoot, I would love to have a 1st Gen just for the collectability of it. Besides my Oasis I have a 2nd Gen Kindle and having a 1st Gen would be a great addition.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:24 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,173,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
Shoot, I would love to have a 1st Gen just for the collectability of it. Besides my Oasis I have a 2nd Gen Kindle and having a 1st Gen would be a great addition.
Amazon offered $5 trade value for my Kindle DX that was bought in 2010. Frankly, I do not want to trade it in because the pages are as large as a real book, and I can read it in a reclining posotion. The current models are the same size as a small paperback, and I would have to shuffle pages more often.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Amazon offered $5 trade value for my Kindle DX that was bought in 2010. Frankly, I do not want to trade it in because the pages are as large as a real book, and I can read it in a reclining posotion. The current models are the same size as a small paperback, and I would have to shuffle pages more often.
The DX was a great large form model. I am still partial to my Oasis but I totally understand why you like the DX and don't want to give it up

My Kindle 2 is not getting much love these days but it is still a dependable backup if needed (even though everything has to be sideloaded onto it now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary