Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM

30 posts, read 86,198 times

Advertisements

We have a friend that just came back from Columbia , South Carolina where she reported that they still fly the Conferate flag and that segregation is still the way of the world there...what's it like in the Triangle area ?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Word of wisdom to any newbie....Never confuse North Carolina with South Carolina. ;-)

Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 PM

32 posts, read 92,370 times
oh for gosh sake. yes, there are rednecks in every area, but i rarely see the confederate flag unless i am in a more blue collar or heavily rural area. this is a great place to live. the south is a complicated place, has had many changes, and is not easily pegged.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,967,597 times
I don't think I've seen a confederate flag once in the year I've been living in Durham, now that I think of it. I used to see it all the time in Florida. There have been some huge debates about the flag in the main North Carolina that might interest you (or disgust you). In any case, I'd say the Triangle has more people who wouldn't want to fly the flag than those that would...

Old 05-21-2008, 04:38 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,714 times
As a native South Carolinian your friend is mistaken. Yes they fly the confederate flag at the confederate memorial on the SC state house grounds and they until recently flew it on top of the state house, but to say that segregation exists, especially in Columbia is a bunch of BS. I would argue that there are just as many racists where ever you are from as there are in the South - read the posts regarding Wake County schools from parents moving into this area and you will get my point.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
There are pockets of bigotry even in Queens County, NYC.

The triangle is diverse and relatively accepting.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:00 AM

60 posts, read 185,397 times
Okay....I'm so sick of people thinking if you fly the confederate flag you are racist. This is not so. It's called heritage people.
I have a confederate veteran license plate on my truck. NO...I'm not racist. Some of my closest friends are black.
If you study your history you would know that slavery did not come up until the 3rd year of the war when Lincoln started losing support for the war....anyway.....
The state of NC gave me a confederate veteran license plate because my great, great, great grandfather was drafted to fight for the confederate. He was captured by the Yankees and they tortured him then killed him. Did he agree with the war...I don't know if he did or not but if he had dogged the draft and refused to fight, the southerners would have killed him.
So if you see someone with a confederate license plate...please don't assume they are racist, they are just honoring their grandfather who was forced to fight in a war we don't know if they agreed or disagreed with.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
I agree. The flag is geographical and historical unless it is flown to support bigotry.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:23 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,451,543 times
Default No, it isn't 'so'. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro View Post
We have a friend that just came back from Columbia , South Carolina where she reported that they still fly the Conferate flag and that segregation is still the way of the world there...what's it like in the Triangle area ?
This is a gross overstatement -- about at realistic as claiming all people North of the Mason-Dixon lines are boorish. Throughout the South, you will find people, and even 'pockets' of people who take pride in flying the Confederate flag. For them, it is a symbol of Southern pride and a statement against Northern aggression, which at times -- such as your friend's comment -- seems very much still in effect.

People will never become more accepting of one another as long as some make such comments and perpetuate silly notions. Granted, one may always be able to find some % of any population that will fit a preconceived idea, or a stereotype, but it is most unfair and unrealistic to make a blanket statement such as this friend of yours did. I am glad you chose to question it, as to make such a statement, is, I think, more of a reflection of the commentator than of the area.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:34 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,863 times
Yes, good points made all around. That being said, I hope all southerners don't look at northern transplant and mutter "yankee carpetbagger" under their breath, tempting as it may be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary