Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times

Advertisements

So why does the south need any particular flag or symbol for their region? There is no flag or symbol for New England (probably the most distinct and defined region of the US), the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, West Coast, Plains or any other region. I don't understand why the south needs its own flag.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 05-21-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 01:41 PM

28 posts, read 66,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Comparing to the swastika is pretty silly. There is no Nazi heritage outside of a horrible fascist regime that invaded other lands and killed millions.

There were tons of Southerners who fought and died for the cause of State Sovereignty who were opposed to slavery. It absolutely is not as simple as being just about slavery.

That's how you feel. I'm just saying other people (White and Black) feel diferently. Why not put up a GA or SC, or NC state flag? Wouldn't that show southern support just as much as closely? Why take the chance that someone is gonna see it and get an immedite impression that your're racist and don't like black people?

I was born in Columbia South Carolina and lived there till I was 14. As an African American kid, I know that "I" felt like a person who had the confederate flag on their house or car was more than likely to be racist. I've since grown to not try to make assumptions about people, but that's just how I felt as a youth, so I know this feeling predates 1980 and Jesse Jackson. My dad used to say when he saw it that all he thought was, "If the people who stood and fought for that flag had their way, i'd be picking cotton or something right now" it was funny to hear, but it has a sad truth to it.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:59 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post

Listen to the great song "The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down" by The Band. Hear the pain and pride in the voice of Levon Helm as he sings it. Its gets this across better than about anything else I can imagine.

Leave it to a bunch of Canadians to give voice to the Southern zeitgeist.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,451,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCJones View Post
That's how you feel. I'm just saying other people (White and Black) feel diferently. Why not put up a GA or SC, or NC state flag? Wouldn't that show southern support just as much as closely? Why take the chance that someone is gonna see it and get an immedite impression that your're racist and don't like black people?

I was born in Columbia South Carolina and lived there till I was 14. As an African American kid, I know that "I" felt like a person who had the confederate flag on their house or car was more than likely to be racist. I've since grown to not try to make assumptions about people, but that's just how I felt as a youth, so I know this feeling predates 1980 and Jesse Jackson. My dad used to say when he saw it that all he thought was, "If the people who stood and fought for that flag had their way, i'd be picking cotton or something right now" it was funny to hear, but it has a sad truth to it.
I understand you completely, UNCJones, and I agree that careful thought should be given to whether one flies the Confederate flag or not. Maybe I am more empathetic, but I would never fly one just for the reasons you mention. I understand it is not necessarily meant to be 'racist,' but why insist upon raising the flag and offending anyone? No point, I don't think.

I am not Jewish, but I am most offended when people want to use swastikas for whatever purpose, including visibly tattooing their bodies.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post

Regarding segregation, there are still a few older North Carolinians who grew up with it and considered it normal, but for most North Carolinians, old and young, it is a thing of the past that seems weird now. People under age 50, which are most of us, either never experienced it or were too young to remember any of it.
Boston is probably one of the most racially segregated cities in the country. And it's a FAR cry from Southern!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,927,780 times
As to the OP, I have seen plenty of confederate flags in Durham, both on homes and on cars/trucks. There was one right across the street from our old daycare center and I had to see it every day. Whether this is related to racism or not, I couldn't say, but it has never given me a good feeling.

As to racism in Durham, my nanny is a black woman who has lived in Durham her whole life, and she has told me some stories of racism she has experienced. Nothing like being denied service or something, more like just people with a bad attitude. Just a few weeks ago she was at the park with another (black) nanny and the kids and some other (white) nannies apparently wouldn't let their kids play with our group because our nannies were black. My nanny was pretty upset about it when she told me about what happened. I'm sure people experience things like this in any town though, and I don't think Durham is really worse than anywhere else. But, as someone who doesn't experience it first-hand, it's maybe hard for me to say.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:46 PM

177 posts, read 971,710 times
The flag itself is not racist, nor a lot of people that fly one (which I don't, btw). All of the hate groups that use it for that reason are the ones that have made it a racist symbol. It's always the South that gets the blame or credit but if you'll study hate groups you'll find that there are huge numbers in the upper mid-west area of the U.S.

There is a lot of segregation all over the country but, once again, the South gets the recognition for it.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:54 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
AskMisterBrown... Thanks for taking me to school... Again...

My family is from Pennsylvania.
Legend has it that my grandfather was in the Klan 80-90 years ago.
In Pennsylvania.

The South is different. And it is the same.
Bigotry and ignorance are not exclusive to any group or any region.

We at some point come from the same gene pool.
Large and small perversions of decency are a nuisance throughout the human race, and that includes both sides of the Mason/Dixon Line.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:07 PM

20 posts, read 61,675 times
Talking here here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Boston is probably one of the most racially segregated cities in the country. And it's a FAR cry from Southern!

I'm getting ready to leave Boston for your fair region, and quite happy to be leaving this place behind. Many people I know have heard me say that there are just as many racists and rednecks(perhaps more) in the Boston area(North Shore especially) as there are anywhere in the south.

If you want to read a great book about the forced segregation in the city of Boston, and high school hoops pick up The Assist by Neil Swidey.

go celtics!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:18 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,782,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Yes, good points made all around. That being said, I hope all southerners don't look at northern transplant and mutter "yankee carpetbagger" under their breath, tempting as it may be
The only time I hear southerners mutter anything negative about northerners is when a northerner who comes here to visit or relocate disrespects others or does something negative to another person. If that person's origin is not known, then maybe terms like idiot or jerk come into play. But when we walk the streets of this world and show people respect wherever we go, most likely no one is going to mutter anything but something positive about the person who airs a positive outlook in their stride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
So why does the south need any particular flag or symbol for their region? There is no flag or symbol for New England (probably the most distinct and defined region of the US), the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, West Coast, Plains or any other region. I don't understand why the south needs its own flag.
The question is, "Why not?" Why does a country need a flag? Why not individuals? I'm for anything that doesn't promote hate. So just because one person, group, state or country doesn't have one, does not mean that other's should and cannot. It's a choice. I don't know the reasons for maintaining the confederate flag in that region (I'm apparently learning from accounts here and elsewhere), but it's their choice and the design is not really half bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary