Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 08:48 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,559,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How much lower are the prices at Costco, to make it worthwhile to sit in a line?

I paid $4.199 for 87 at Sheetz yesterday. Drove in. Filled up. Drove out.
I likely wouldn't go out of my way to wait in line for 20 minutes for much less than a $0.20 difference.
In my experience the Costco gas savings are greatest on 93 as opposed to 87. Usually I can find regular for only a dime more expensive elsewhere, but premium is typically $0.40 higher at stations other than Costco. The Lowes Foods in West Cary was offering $1/off on some weekends as part of their grand opening several months back. Their regular price is typically 10-12 cents higher than Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 09:49 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,374,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I was thinking about Costco when I read your post title. (Costco in Cary/Apex for me)

The accurate answer is "yes, there are likes at Costco", but the background is that there are always lines there, and to be honest, they CAN'T be longer than usual, because the queue area is almost always full during business hours.

Costco always looks bad, but I can usually get through the longest line in well under 10 minutes. I like their price, but the gas itself is always consistent, I've never had problems when I use Costco Gas, so that is what I use when I can. (the added 4% off with my membership does not hurt either. That's adding up to 16-cents per gallon, on top of them being near the lowest price around, AND quality controlled gas.)
I'm not sure what "quality-controlled gas" is. All gas in the area is the same as it all comes out of the same communal pipeline, with the only difference being what additives each company adds to their gas.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:52 AM

6,662 posts, read 5,620,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I'm not sure what "quality-controlled gas" is. All gas in the area is the same as it all comes out of the same communal pipeline, with the only difference being what additives each company adds to their gas.
I guess maybe they're referring to Top Tier gasoline https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Old 03-11-2022, 10:39 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,193,565 times
I normally get gas at Costco and have noticed long lines even at normally quiet times, like the morning. It’s not insane, but there is a steady flow of cars.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:02 PM

11,242 posts, read 8,350,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Mostly correct.

Additives are one thing, but also how it's handled and stored. (Not allowing for water/condensation to build up.)

I don't know, I also believe that for the most part "gas is gas". I guess in general, buying from a reputable source is the key. Any other station (Exxon, Chevron, etc.) is still owned by an owner. With Costco, maybe it's just that they have a corporate policy and that's why it's consistent?

Or maybe I'm just dreaming, and it's better because "I think it's Better"?

So far though, happy with the product, and it's the cheapest around when you figure in all the various savings.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:55 PM

19,465 posts, read 27,980,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I normally get gas at Costco and have noticed long lines even at normally quiet times, like the morning. It’s not insane, but there is a steady flow of cars.
I'm in line at the Raleigh Costco as I write this. Yes, lines are longer than usual. Tha's typical on Friday afternoon.

Luckily, I'm retired and have plenty of time to waste. AND I was in the neighborhood.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:33 PM

855 posts, read 595,611 times
Sheetz has U88 gas, which contains up to 15% ethanol as opposed to up to 10% in regular 87 gas. It works fine in vehicles newer that 2006. I've been using it in my 2010 pickup with no ill effects and get better mpg. Best thing is that it typically costs about 20 cents/gal less than regular 87 gas. What's not to like? Better mpg, less cost, and the corn farmers in Iowa will love you.

Old 03-11-2022, 02:28 PM

4,322 posts, read 6,015,463 times
Yep, I just wish all Sheetz locations carried U88/E15. My closest ones don't, but I get it when it's available.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:53 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,435,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Yep, I just wish all Sheetz locations carried U88/E15. My closest ones don't, but I get it when it's available.
The one at the airport does, but how far should a feller drive to fill up?

Old 03-11-2022, 04:05 PM

855 posts, read 595,611 times
I visit the Sheetz at the corner of Glenwood and Pinecrest. Thankfully, it's only a mile from where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary