Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 08:25 AM

43,514 posts, read 77,526,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
Can they really tell you what you can do INSIDE your single family house if you're not disturbing the community? I would take them to court if that ever happened, I read that HOA laws must have communal benefit. I fail to see how a boat in the garage harms the community. Especially if I'm explicitly allowed to park two cars in the driveway
Some HOAs are very lax. Some HOAs are on PCP and aggressive.
They all vary. I don't like vague language. Some people are bizarrely possessed with a need to control their neighbors.

The thing to do is to contact the HOA Property Manager and the HOA President and ask about the language and enforcement.
In writing. Email.

And, if you are satisfied with the replies, pin your hopes to faith that there isn't a regime change that tightens things down in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 08:41 AM

22,742 posts, read 36,999,081 times
Quote:

I feel like the intent here is to make sure no eyesores are on the street or driveway.
This is the intent. So many boat owners leave their boat or RV on the driveway or street for a day or two. They think it's no big deal, your covenants are letting you know not to try it. As Mike said some people are obsessed with controlling their neighbors because some do spend their days looking for violations.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:42 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,356,299 times
Quote:
Sounds good

For further context this is a single family home and I want to put a bass boat inside. The language of the HOA seems ambiguous. Almost like I can't put it in the garage. But that would be ridiculous as its in my property out of sight.

"Each dwelling constructed within the Subdivision shall have a garage large enough to contain at least two vehicles. No unenclosed parking shall be constructed or maintained on any Lot except a concrete driveway and an attached concrete parking pad, which pad shall be designed for the parking of not more than two (2) vehicles. The location of and materials used for construction of any driveway or parking pad upon any Lot shall be approved as provided in Paragraph 18 hereof.

No boat, boat trailer, mobile house trailer (whether on or off wheels), vehicle or enclosed body of the type which may be placed on or attached to a vehicle (known generally as a "camper"), recreational vehicle ("RV"), tractor trailer truck or cab, or commercial vehicle of any kind shall be parked on any street or any Lot within the Subdivision. No vehicle of any type which is abandoned or inoperative shall be stored or kept on any Lot, except in an enclosed garage."

I feel like the intent here is to make sure no eyesores are on the street or driveway.
Agree, that language says keep it off the street, lawn and driveway. In the garage is fine. Call the management company to verify before buying.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:46 AM

9,784 posts, read 15,851,877 times
We have a pop-up camper in our garage. It honestly never occured to me that it wouldn't be allowed (we lived in a non-HOA neighborhood before this). We've actually set it up on our side yard for a night or two here and there, and no one has said a word. But we live in Chapel Hill, and people are still somewhat hippy dippy here. Our cousin who lives in Wakefield in North Raleigh was surpised that we are allowed to leave our trash and recycling bins on our driveway. He said his have to be kept in the garage.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:53 AM

427 posts, read 467,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Yes it actually happened in our neighborhood. They were literally peeking in the windows of garages and if a person had a boat in it or anything else they deemed "bad", they fined them. It was redonkulous.
Hold on....got to run out and close the blinds in my garage / shop. Look in the living room windows all you want, but stay away from the garage :-)

Old 03-23-2022, 03:02 PM

19,469 posts, read 28,025,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Agree, that language says keep it off the street, lawn and driveway. In the garage is fine. Call the management company to verify before buying.
"Calling" is worthless. Get it in writing - email is fine. If it were me, I'd get the president of the BOD to sign something too.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:57 PM

13,744 posts, read 12,556,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not our NC HOA. But two experiences from two different HOA's in our prior homes in Phoenix.

A guy who had a welding machine in his garage, using it frequently on weekends (probably as a side gig). He moved his equipment elsewhere.

A woman running a dog rescue in her garage. The HOA had a limit of 4 pets per residence.
There were 6-10 dogs in the 3-car garage that was fitted out with a/c. She sold the house.

And, yes, we agreed with both HOA decisions.
What’s the complaint about the welding machine? They’re pretty unobtrusive.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:19 PM

19,469 posts, read 28,025,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What’s the complaint about the welding machine? They’re pretty unobtrusive.
Risk of a fire.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:25 AM

4,191 posts, read 4,919,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Risk of a fire.
So I guess that means people shouldn't use their cooking stove, furnaces, or other appliances. The risks are about the same as using a welder.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:51 AM

43,514 posts, read 77,526,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
So I guess that means people shouldn't use their cooking stove, furnaces, or other appliances. The risks are about the same as using a welder.
Most welders also like to cut stock.

It may well mean that people shouldn't routinely use acetylene torches, or store acetylene and oxygen tanks in small lot residential garages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary