Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 07:37 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Most welders also like to cut stock.

It may well mean that people shouldn't routinely use acetylene torches, or store acetylene and oxygen tanks in small lot residential garages.
There are also gas cans, Propane bottles and no telling what other hazardous materials in a garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 08:11 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
There are also gas cans, Propane bottles and no telling what other hazardous materials in a garage.
It is a bit different. How many people are using propane torches near gas tanks, or other flammable materials, within their garages? With a welding machine, I suspect it would be many, many more.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:35 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Agree, that language says keep it off the street, lawn and driveway. In the garage is fine. Call the management company to verify before buying.
Technically, it says not on the LOT, so that could be taken as "against the rules."

That said, I don't think they will provided it doesn't cause other issues that are technically ok and allowed but will bug your neighbors. For example, if you have 5 cars in your household such that you have to park (perfectly functional) cars on the street, suddenly the neighbors will be really annoyed at that boat displacing a couple of those cars.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:39 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
It is a bit different. How many people are using propane torches near gas tanks, or other flammable materials, within their garages? With a welding machine, I suspect it would be many, many more.
Rocket Science.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqMKbu3WUsU

Old 03-24-2022, 10:50 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
It is a bit different. How many people are using propane torches near gas tanks, or other flammable materials, within their garages?
I can walk around any (HOA or non HOA) neighborhood in North Carolina and see propane tanks inches from a propane burner on a grill sitting on a pile of dried wood (the deck.)

Quote:
With a welding machine, I suspect it would be many, many more.
? The things are pretty portable...I think its ridiculous that a $200 powertool would come under the baleful eye of a neighborhood busybody...even considering the ridiculousness of neighborhood busybodies. But, that's why I don't live in an HOA.

All the same, my point was (and remains) that the elevated risk of fire from a welding machine (which I take to mean either an arc welder or wire welding machine) in a garage with a concrete floor, seems overblown. Not saying it can't happen, nor am I denying that there's an increased risk. But (to me) it seems that if you're allowing people to burn candles in their home, or barbeque, or fry a turkey, it's within the bounds of acceptable risk. Every house fire I'm personally familiar with was from a dryer, a candle, or the stove.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:01 PM

422 posts, read 461,545 times
A compressed gas cylinder will definitely become a ballistic missile if the valve is ever knocked all the way off, but your residential water heater could cause equal or more damage.

I suspect the number of compressed gas cylinder missile damage incidents in residences in the US is probably less than exploding residential water heaters, but I would guess that both are so irrelevant that most people don't lose sleep about it.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
A compressed gas cylinder will definitely become a ballistic missile if the valve is ever knocked all the way off, but your residential water heater could cause equal or more damage.

I suspect the number of compressed gas cylinder missile damage incidents in residences in the US is probably less than exploding residential water heaters, but I would guess that both are so irrelevant that most people don't lose sleep about it.
Water heater has a T&P valve, and water lines that generally won't accept the pressure an explosion will require.

I have been in enough welding shops and seen enough gas cylinders not properly restrained to the wall or in a cage, I'd be antsy about my neighbor having one in a garage 25' from my bed.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:04 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Water heater has a T&P valve, and water lines that generally won't accept the pressure an explosion will require.

I have been in enough welding shops and seen enough gas cylinders not properly restrained to the wall or in a cage, I'd be antsy about my neighbor having one in a garage 25' from my bed.
But we're not talking about an oxyacetylene torch, presumably. "welding machine" implies a buzz box or a wire welder most commonly. Appliances that plug into outlets.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:06 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
The last page and a half of this thread is giving me EQ Plant explosion and evacuation flashbacks.

The HOA covenants in my community state that "garage doors are to be left closed at all times; except during times of ingress and egress from the garage". Guess how often that is followed or enforced?

Old 03-24-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
But we're not talking about an oxyacetylene torch, presumably. "welding machine" implies a buzz box or a wire welder most commonly. Appliances that plug into outlets.
How many welders do you know who don't have torches for cutting?
And, JKG said, as an apparent side gig. I AM talking about cutting tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary