Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 03:40 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I am curious, but starting with curiosity about the address so one might look into it.

2nd story on an old manufactured home? That would be quite the project, on a unit that certainly was not engineered to support such a load.
The one time I saw it done, IIRC, the addition and second floor was supported by the newly poured/expanded foundation supported by stilts, like what you frequently see on newer beach houses at the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 03:44 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The one time I saw it done, IIRC, the addition and second floor was supported by the newly poured/expanded foundation supported by stilts, like what you frequently see on newer beach houses at the coast.
Right. The additional story would have to be 100% self-supported and not put any load at all on the manufactured unit.

You see a lot of old metal-roofed singlewide mobiles with what looks like a pole building built over them, to accommodate a pitched shingle roof.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:50 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
I really wonder why someone would go to such lengths. Cost to build, I suppose, but having the best double-wide on the block doesn't sound like a great investment.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:00 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I have seen a few modified trailer based homes in the original parts of holly springs. Nothing in the 2nd story category but for sure additions that fully encapsulated the original trailer. You could only tell from the ends it started as a trailer.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:10 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right. The additional story would have to be 100% self-supported and not put any load at all on the manufactured unit.

You see a lot of old metal-roofed singlewide mobiles with what looks like a pole building built over them, to accommodate a pitched shingle roof.
It also could have been a modular. A lot of them look like mobiles when they're delivered to the building site until they start getting set and bolted together.

We have three story waterfront townhouses in the neighboring town that started life as modular parts. Sales started at $400K and went up from there. That was twenty years ago, I don't know how much the sell for now.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:14 PM

72 posts, read 41,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It certainly sounds like the property owener is building without a permit. If you cannot find a building permit on the property, you could make a complaint to the relevant code enforcement agency: either Cary or Wake County.

https://www.wakegov.com/departments-...de-enforcement
If you go wandering around on private property without permission, looking for a permit, you can be arrested for trespassing and maybe even burglary.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:52 PM

339 posts, read 318,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
In the south Cary area where a bunch of new developments have gone up, there's a small strip of road front land where several old, dilapidated manufactured homes were rolled onto the property. One of them has been 'converted' into a normal appearing house with foundation, second story, framed roof with shingles, new windows, garage, etc... it basically looks like a new home from the outside and nothing like what they started with. Is this some type of loophole scenario where someone doesn't have to pull permits or comply with building code? I'm not sure if the home is planned to be sold. There are 3 other manufactured homes like what they started with scattered on the property.
From what I've heard , in these situations , the home is still basically considered a mobile home ( in the tax depts.' eyes that is) so the taxes are much lower on them.
Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard of people doing this type thing.

Old 04-05-2022, 04:34 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretful View Post
If you go wandering around on private property without permission, looking for a permit, you can be arrested for trespassing and maybe even burglary.
Sorry for creating the wrong impression. I was suggesting the OP look online for a building permit.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:42 AM

385 posts, read 348,167 times
My daughter has a prefab on a foundation in Chatham county and it is taxed as a home would be. It is much better built than my Fortes house in Cary. Probably better quality control in a factory I guess.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:00 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
A manufactured home could never bear the weight of a second story. And if its exterior covering was removed you would simply have a “barn” with a plumbing/electrical module inside. Why not? As long as you could get an occupancy permit it would be no more bizarre than living in an RV. Heating and cooling might suffer. Resale might be impossible. But it could be livable if inspected regularly. Hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary