Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 09:00 PM

839 posts, read 2,531,070 times

Advertisements

In the south Cary area where a bunch of new developments have gone up, there's a small strip of road front land where several old, dilapidated manufactured homes were rolled onto the property. One of them has been 'converted' into a normal appearing house with foundation, second story, framed roof with shingles, new windows, garage, etc... it basically looks like a new home from the outside and nothing like what they started with. Is this some type of loophole scenario where someone doesn't have to pull permits or comply with building code? I'm not sure if the home is planned to be sold. There are 3 other manufactured homes like what they started with scattered on the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 02:38 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,158,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
...... Is this some type of loophole scenario where someone doesn't have to pull permits or comply with building code? .....
It certainly sounds like the property owener is building without a permit. If you cannot find a building permit on the property, you could make a complaint to the relevant code enforcement agency: either Cary or Wake County.

https://www.wakegov.com/departments-...de-enforcement

Old 04-04-2022, 08:48 AM

6,828 posts, read 9,088,734 times
Quote:
In the south Cary area where a bunch of new developments have gone up, there's a small strip of road front land where several old, dilapidated manufactured homes were rolled onto the property. One of them has been 'converted' into a normal appearing house with foundation, second story, framed roof with shingles, new windows, garage, etc... it basically looks like a new home from the outside and nothing like what they started with. Is this some type of loophole scenario where someone doesn't have to pull permits or comply with building code? I'm not sure if the home is planned to be sold. There are 3 other manufactured homes like what they started with scattered on the property.
I grew up in a trailer park*. How do you know the "converted" one was a manufactured home? What gives it away if, as you say, they made all these changes?

*We were not rich enough to live in a double wide so maybe there are give aways that I wouldn't recognize.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:54 AM

13,726 posts, read 12,516,677 times
Quote:
Why do you care? I know that affixing them to a permanent foundation is a pretty common practice. Once that's done I don't see why you couldn't add a second story, etc...

Old 04-04-2022, 10:25 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,745,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Why do you care?
It's a forum, the guy can ask a question if he wants.

I think it's an interesting topic. Personally I never thought about the prospect of converting a modular home to a more "traditional" home and then tacking onto it. It's pretty obvious in retrospect but not something that ever would have come across my mind.

I do agree that it would be slightly concerning if there were no permits regardless of the construction type. You can't just add onto a house without someone giving you a rubber stamp at some point in the process.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:49 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,158,080 times
Quote:
..... I know that affixing them to a permanent foundation is a pretty common practice. Once that's done I don't see why you couldn't add a second story, etc...
The unit might be livable, and it not a concern. But the fundation has to be strong enough to support the second story, otherwise the county could tell them to tear it down.

The other issue is whether the other dilapidated units are an eyesore. The county might tell the owner to have them cut up and removed.

I would make an anonymous complaint to the code enforcement office.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:08 AM

43,439 posts, read 77,401,478 times
I am curious, but starting with curiosity about the address so one might look into it.

2nd story on an old manufactured home? That would be quite the project, on a unit that certainly was not engineered to support such a load.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:19 AM

13,726 posts, read 12,516,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It's a forum, the guy can ask a question if he wants.

I think it's an interesting topic. Personally I never thought about the prospect of converting a modular home to a more "traditional" home and then tacking onto it. It's pretty obvious in retrospect but not something that ever would have come across my mind.

I do agree that it would be slightly concerning if there were no permits regardless of the construction type. You can't just add onto a house without someone giving you a rubber stamp at some point in the process.
The implication was that the guy was doing something that was illegal, and no evidence thereof offered, other than an assumption that it was illegal because the host structure was manufactured. He wouldn't start the thread if it were a 1200 sf ranch.

I would think that in Cary, the likelihood of someone getting away with that is slim; it isn't as if he's putting in a shed that's two feet too long or installing a new water heater. There are too many people/too much traffic visibility to get away with much. I know that I saw County officials at a house in my neighborhood that was doing an addition, and that addition appeared to be DIY, though the homeowners seem to know what they're doing. Assume that they have permits now, even if they didn't when they started.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:29 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,745,430 times
Quote:
The implication was that the guy was doing something that was illegal, and no evidence thereof offered, other than an assumption that it was illegal because the host structure was manufactured. He wouldn't start the thread if it were a 1200 sf ranch.
I'm not quite sure what your point is here other than the OP seems to have struck a nerve with you. No he likely wouldn't have made a thread about a 1200 sf ranch because that's not a manufactured home with stuff tacked onto it potentially.

His concerns are valid.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:33 PM

839 posts, read 2,531,070 times
Thanks for the replies.

The house started as a double-wide manufactured home from what I could tell, exterior covering/siding removed. I drive by the location often, so saw it through the phases. It actually looks like a nice brand new home now, with no indication of what it started as. As mentioned, there are still 4 other of the same that they started with parked on the property. One could assume they plan to do the same with those.

Guess I was just curious what others thought of this. If the home comes up for sale, what are the implications? It all just seems very strange. Maybe it's just a few families building up homes in an effort to save some $$? The home/property next to them sold for $1.2M last year., subdivision across the street has homes in the $700-1M range.

The parcel itself appears to be Wake County, although Cary is all around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary