Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 09:58 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times

Advertisements

Recessed lights, high hat lights, pot lights - whatever you want to call them.

It's a dark room being used as our office. And my night vision sucks. I think there is accessible attic space above the ceiling.

Recessed lighting makes sense because:

The room has one electric ceiling outlet where we've installed an ceiling fan with lights. The lighting is totally inadequate (and the style of the fan is outdated.) We've explored options including desk lamps and floor lamps, none of which were particularly good solutions. A new, in-style ceiling fan is going to have one, single downlight. My head will be in the way and create a shadow on the desktop. Replacing the fan with chandelier type fixture would fix the problem, but we'd HATE losing the fan.

I'm resistant to recessed lighting because I'm assuming it's expensive (and yes, I'd want a licensed electrician for this job.) Any guesstimates???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 10:08 AM

43,334 posts, read 77,188,470 times
$200--$300 per fixture?
Attic access makes it easier and cheaper than tearing into the ceiling.

Get educated on fixtures, whether or not you can insulate on top of them.
They need to be labeled for insulation on top. Heat and fire issues.

If you cannot insulate, you have a nifty void in your conditioned air envelope.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:15 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,733,349 times
So slightly in the same vein as office/desktop lighting. I had a similar problem that I resolved by getting a monitor light-bar that sits on the top of my monitor. It's been great as it focuses the light downward onto my desk area where I need it and the light is adjustable with just a few taps. Helps a lot at reducing my eye strain when the room gets darker over the course of the day. They also make a model that has a dial control that sits on your desk itself.

Here's what I'm rambling about:
https://www.benq.com/en-us/lamps/com...screenbar.html

I purchased mine on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VNFZJG

Old 04-23-2022, 10:25 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,733,349 times
Related to this specific question, we had 2 recessed lights put in back in 2018 by ARC Electric. Total cost w/ a new switch to control them was about $1k. It was around $175 per can, $250 for the switch/runs, and around $350 for labor. Note that we didn't have attic access to do this and it required some creative fishing thru the ceiling of our kitchen.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:00 AM

5,901 posts, read 6,971,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
(and yes, I'd want a licensed electrician for this job.)
Anything other than a repair requires a permit. If someone doesn't want to pull one - run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
$200--$300 per fixture?
Attic access makes it easier and cheaper than tearing into the ceiling.

Get educated on fixtures, whether or not you can insulate on top of them.
They need to be labeled for insulation on top. Heat and fire issues.

If you cannot insulate, you have a nifty void in your conditioned air envelope.
Hopefully, any flooring/plywood above the ceiling is easily removable. If not, that could add to the cost. They will also need to run a switch wire.

The electrician should know how to install either type of fixture, so I would focus on what you like the look of.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:05 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,831,891 times
We had some added to our kitchen a few years ago. One was easy because there was a pre existing fixture the other was from scratch. I think Mikes estimate is about right. You also have to think about LED v regular. The housing is different.

This is a pretty easy job for a licensed electrician.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:26 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,592,686 times
This post is to offer a different approach to lighting your office.

IMHO can lights are well-suited for task lighting. Cans provide good light, each focused on a limited area. For an office you might do better with area lighting to illuminate the entire room evenly.

Instead of six or eight can lights consider two large surface mount fixtures. Mount them on both sides of the fan. My favorite:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maxim-Light...ght/1001326848

These fixtures are made for fluorescent tubes but you may substitute LED tubes. That's what I did.

DON'T give up that ceiling fan! It is an important contributor to general comfort.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 04-23-2022, 02:56 PM

757 posts, read 2,084,616 times
We have a combo ceiling fan and chandelier. It’s called a fandelier and it puts out tons of light. The breeze from the fan is amazing as well.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:02 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
We have a combo ceiling fan and chandelier. It’s called a fandelier and it puts out tons of light. The breeze from the fan is amazing as well.
First time I've ever heard that term. I've seen them, but assumed that the lighting was inadequate.

Is the "tons of light" coming from a single bulb or multiple bulbs? Incandescent or LED?

Old 04-24-2022, 08:11 AM

5,901 posts, read 6,971,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
It looks like most of them top out at 42" for the fan. To me, that is much too small unless it is a very small room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: