Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 09:02 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
So where do you go in Durham for a nice meal aka date night?
Just looked up Alley 26 and it wouldn't be on our list (looks dark and cold). From the pictures it also looks a bit pretentious (and I could be totally wrong but that is the vibe the pictures give me) and the demographics that they show in their own advertising pics is just a turn off to me. So I'm not sure why you were surprised by the demographics you saw there. We also aren't into trendy drinks and the menu choices so even the food/drinks wouldn't be a draw.

When we used to get out more we would just go to the American Tobacco Campus and/or the Brightleaf area. We liked walking around in those areas (in addition to eating) and liked that the American Tobacco Campus had the water and the string lights above (we like eating outside).

It's been years though since we have been over that way and it looks like it has changed quite a bit (especially Brightleaf Square). I've heard great things about Goorsha and it definitely looks to have more of the ambiance that we prefer so that is definitely on my list for a date night. Luna is another on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 09:08 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Just looked up Alley 26 and it wouldn't be on our list (looks dark and cold). From the pictures it also looks a bit pretentious (and I could be totally wrong but that is the vibe the pictures give me) and the demographics that they show in their own advertising pics is just a turn off to me. So I'm not sure why you were surprised by the demographics you saw there. We also aren't into trendy drinks and the menu choices so even the food/drinks wouldn't be a draw.

When we used to get out more we would just go to the American Tobacco Campus and/or the Brightleaf area. We liked walking around in those areas (in addition to eating) and liked that the American Tobacco Campus had the water and the string lights above (we like eating outside).

It's been years though since we have been over that way and it looks like it has changed quite a bit (especially Brightleaf Square). I've heard great things about Goorsha and it definitely looks to have more of the ambiance that we prefer so that is definitely on my list for a date night. Luna is another on my list.
Anyone who lives in this area can get in their car and go anywhere in a 360 degree circle and find something to do. I live in NW Raleigh so downtown Durham is only 15 minutes away. This was my second time at Alley 26 and I thought it was quite nice.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:18 AM

598 posts, read 332,996 times
Quote:
Where do art and music festivals happen in Durham?

The American Dance Festival happens at various theaters, but most performances are on Duke's campus these days. (And it's GREAT!!!!!)

When there was a Moogfest, that was downtown.

Festival for the Eno takes place at West Point on the Eno.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
The American Dance Festival happens at various theaters, but most performances are on Duke's campus these days. (And it's GREAT!!!!!)

When there was a Moogfest, that was downtown.

Festival for the Eno takes place at West Point on the Eno.
Thanks. I'm planning to go to the OutSouth ***** Film Festival at the Carolina Theater in August. Details are TBD. I'm being edited LGBT Film Festival.

Old 06-07-2022, 03:00 PM

1,326 posts, read 723,837 times
The diversity, or lack thereof, of the audience or customers often has more to do with the event or business than the location. Most of the people going to shows at DPAC are coming from elsewhere, so the audiences aren't going to be representative of Durham, downtown or otherwise. Same for big events like ADF or Moogfest which also pull people from all over.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:20 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
A show at DPAC and a 2-time visit to one restaurant downtown, is not a useful sample in which to evaluate diversity in a metro area.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
A show at DPAC and a 2-time visit to one restaurant downtown, is not a useful sample in which to evaluate diversity in a metro area.
This is not my first rodeo.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:30 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Quote:
This is not my first rodeo.

You mentioned DPAC for shows, downtown Durham, and one restaurant in your post.

If you're not seeing diversity, however one defines it, then it would be fair to conclude those who are of different races/cultures/backgrounds/other are not hanging out in the same places or not at the same time you're there.

I've been to downtown a few times in recent years at various places and even a walking tour once. Looked like a diverse mix of people to me. However, I haven't been there since Covid started.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
You mentioned DPAC for shows, downtown Durham, and one restaurant in your post.

If you're not seeing diversity, however one defines it, then it would be fair to conclude those who are of different races/cultures/backgrounds/other are not hanging out in the same places or not at the same time you're there.

I've been to downtown a few times in recent years at various places and even a walking tour once. Looked like a diverse mix of people to me. However, I haven't been there since Covid started.
I have experience with other cities that are diverse. Based on stats, there is a significant minority population in Durham. I think it reasonable to expect to actually see a more diverse mix when you visit. Some have said, well, some people stay away from downtown. But you should still see that diverse mix of people you talk about. I've been to shows with pretty diverse audiences depending on the show. Others weren't too diverse.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Durha...-Carolina.html

Last edited by zitsky; 06-08-2022 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-08-2022, 04:20 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,899,966 times
Quote:
I have experience with other cities that are diverse. Based on stats, there is a significant minority population in Durham. I think it reasonable to expect to actually see a more diverse mix when you visit. Some have said, well, some people stay away from downtown. But you should still see that diverse mix of people you talk about. I've been to shows with pretty diverse audiences depending on the show. Others weren't too diverse.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Durha...-Carolina.html
Tell em, Zits … always stirring up trouble lol

Good thread. Needed to be made. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary