Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 08:13 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,055,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
If course they do which is why your questioning here is so baffling to everyone.
Might be paywalled. The article only represents a few voices. But it discusses change and development in the city, and whether that benefits all residents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/01/b...te-growth.html

Quote:
DURHAM, N.C. — “Downtown just ain’t black enough for me,” Paul Scott wrote in The Durham Herald-Sun a couple of months ago. A minister and local newspaper columnist, Mr. Scott was echoing a sentiment voiced by many of the city’s longtime African-American residents: The city center does not feel welcoming to them anymore.

“My concern is that when you go downtown on any given evening or on a weekend, you don’t see a whole lot of black faces there,” Mr. Scott said later in an interview.
Quote:
“I’ve noticed a lot of changes, but none of them have truly been for black people, in my opinion,” said Vanessa Evans, a community leader in the Braggtown area of Durham whose family has lived in the city for generations. “Downtown doesn’t look anything like me, or like it used to look.”
Also....

Quote:
Nicole J. Thompson, Downtown Durham’s chief executive, also pointed out that blacks appeared to be well represented on downtown sidewalks. “I recently made a point to come downtown, as an African-American myself, and see,” she said. “I had to raise my eyebrows: It’s not all white faces.”

Last edited by zitsky; 06-09-2022 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 08:42 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Might be paywalled. The article only represents a few voices. But it discusses change and development in the city, and whether that benefits all residents.

Also....
Yes, I'm well aware, as most people are, of the changes that have been happening in Durham which may have been an interesting thread topic if that's how the conversation started.

But it started out with you perplexed about why there wasn't more diversity at the showing of Hamilton you went to at DPAC or at the bougie restaurant you went to a couple times before shows there. And you seemed very confused about why Durham is considered diverse because you don't see it. Seems an entirely different conversation, and I'd say anyone who isn't seeing diversity likely could benefit from exploring the city more.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:50 AM

151 posts, read 195,163 times
I live in Durham. If Durham is not diverse chapel hill and cary must be 100% homogenized.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Yes, I'm well aware, as most people are, of the changes that have been happening in Durham which may have been an interesting thread topic if that's how the conversation started.

But it started out with you perplexed about why there wasn't more diversity at the showing of Hamilton you went to at DPAC or at the bougie restaurant you went to a couple times before shows there. And you seemed very confused about why Durham is considered diverse because you don't see it. Seems an entirely different conversation, and I'd say anyone who isn't seeing diversity likely could benefit from exploring the city more.
I pointed out that some shows were diverse and some not. I'll let the residents of Durham speak for themselves. I'm sure not everyone feels that way, and if so, that's great. The CEO of Downtown says it's pretty diverse. I don't expect her to say it's not.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:25 AM

598 posts, read 333,125 times
Quote:
I pointed out that some shows were diverse and some not.

Why do you think that is?

Old 06-09-2022, 09:54 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,054 times
Quote:

Also....
I remember very well when that was published and a lot in the community agreed with his stance.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:35 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,841 times
I sat outside for dinner at Luna last night. I watched people come and go from the restaurant, walk by on the sidewalk, and drive by on Main Street. What did I observe? A representation of what makes Durham great - all sorts of diversity, including, of course, black and brown people.

There is plenty of diversity on display day and night downtown and all around the town, and I don't say this based on my experience last night alone. I have lived in Durham for fourteen years and have worked downtown for the last 3.5 years. I walk to lunch almost every day. I shop at Harris Teeters and yes, they are great places to see this city's diversity front and center. So are the public schools - my white kids are rarely a majority and I'm thankful for that. We moved from a rather homogenous community in North Raleigh to Durham so we could raise our kids in a more diverse environment and we have absolutely found that here.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I sat outside for dinner at Luna last night. I watched people come and go from the restaurant, walk by on the sidewalk, and drive by on Main Street. What did I observe? A representation of what makes Durham great - all sorts of diversity, including, of course, black and brown people.

There is plenty of diversity on display day and night downtown and all around the town, and I don't say this based on my experience last night alone. I have lived in Durham for fourteen years and have worked downtown for the last 3.5 years. I walk to lunch almost every day. I shop at Harris Teeters and yes, they are great places to see this city's diversity front and center. So are the public schools - my white kids are rarely a majority and I'm thankful for that. We moved from a rather homogenous community in North Raleigh to Durham so we could raise our kids in a more diverse environment and we have absolutely found that here.
OK I appreciate hearing your perspective. I realize every location may not have the same clientele. But I will keep going to Durham and will try other places next time. It's good to hear that you found what you are looking for.

Old 06-10-2022, 05:22 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,176 times
Plenty of NCCU Alumni, Fayetteville State Alumni, NC A&T Alumni, WSSU Alumni, Elizabeth City State Alumni, and Divine 9 Fraternity/Sorority plate holders on cars in Durham.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Some African Americans with good income choose not to go to places where I hang out. But you can’t convince me that no one goes downtown. I have been to Durham numerous times, not once like some poster claimed. And I’ve been to many restaurants in different parts of the city. When I go to Raleigh or Cary I expect something different because they don’t make an issue of their diversity.

My interest is lack of African Americans around town. I am often there with Asians or other people. So sure there is a mix but not what I expect.
Since you're talking about downtown, try places like Bull McCabe's (a pub with a larger outdoor area) or The Durham hotel, which has a really cool rooftop bar. I've seen quite racially-diverse crowds in each.

You'll enjoy OutSouth. I've been to that festival since 1995 every single year but 1. Used to be the best LGBT weekend in the area (now there are so many other things happening, it's less of a standout per se but still amazing, both the films & the crowds)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary