Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,014 times

Advertisements

Five Points ( Hayes-Barton, Bloomsbury, Georgetown, Vanguard Park and Roanoke Park) were all built as street car suburban neighborhoods beginning around 1925. I can walk to dry cleaners, 8 restaurants, 2 drug stores, post office, day spa, 4 churches, etc etc. The grass median in between Five Points and The Circle covers the original trolley tracks. 2 miles to downtown, 2 miles to North Hills and 2 miles to all of the development at Atlantic/Whitaker Mill. It is a great place to live. I have been here along time and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in Raleigh. The prices are insane, but fortunately I bought at $136 per foot in the late 90’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 06:51 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,875,634 times
I have never lived anywhere where I couldn't walk to something. Our new neighborhood in Wake Forest is exactly one mile to the Harris Teeter shopping center. There are other neighborhoods in Wake Forest close to shopping as well.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:18 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I have never lived anywhere where I couldn't walk to something. Our new neighborhood in Wake Forest is exactly one mile to the Harris Teeter shopping center. There are other neighborhoods in Wake Forest close to shopping as well.
As a fellow WF'er, depending on what the OP means by "walkable", I think WF requires a car.

If by walkable OP means "I can walk to grocery, coffee shops, yoga studios, restuarants etc" WF isn't that (outside of the new town homes around downtown/White Street/Brooks St.

Sure I could walk from Heritage to HT or Stewarts or Wine 101, but more than half the walk is on Rogers with no sidewalks.

However, if the OP means walkable in the "exercise/activity" sense, I agree completely. I have a 9 mile loop I walk on non therapy days and the weekends. Heritage -> Mill Bridge via Greenway -> back around Heritage -> Greenway around Heritage HS/MS/Elementary -> Smith Creek Soccer Park -> around golf course.

WF is great for the latter, but car dependent for the former IMHO.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:34 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,875,634 times
GVoR yes I agree that you cannot live there comfortably without car. Just pointing out that thee are some neighborhoods where you can get some of your everyday needs without one. We will have to walk a few yards on the side of the road but then we will be on sidewalks for the rest of our walk to the stores and restaurants. I just get claustrophobia if I cannot walk to any businesses. An exercise walk is nice, but a walk with a destination is better.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:39 PM

281 posts, read 188,111 times
Too many people moving here to NC, pick Ohio (LOL just kidding)
Cameron Village is good. (The village formerly known as Cameron...It's a marketing change to the shopping center; the neighborhood will always be "cameron village" to most everyone)
Cary is good.
Good luck in your search

Old 08-05-2022, 07:19 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy17 View Post
I would recommend Chapel Hill, especially the Eastwood Lake area. Not much in terms of history or architecture, but the area is very safe, has great schools, is very walkable with lots of trails, and is within walking distance from Whole Foods.

Btw, we also lived in Columbus and while it’s bigger and probably has more going on, we really enjoy the slower pace and the natural setting of the Triangle. And yep, lots of tech here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yeah I think Chapel Hill and Carrboro are what you’re looking for. Great schools. Carrboro is especially walkable.
I agree regarding Chapel Hill-Carrboro and not sure why it took so long to suggest. Trinity Park in Durham is also a fabulous neighborhood with a great sense of community and excellent walkability, definitely worth a close look

Old 08-05-2022, 03:45 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,577,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Remember though that your income taxes in Texas are much cheaper than NC.
But the total tax burden is not cheaper in Texas:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

Old 08-06-2022, 05:19 AM

15 posts, read 28,444 times
You're asking a lot. Almost all of the Triangle (and other metros in North Carolina) are bland suburb, sad small town, or run-down segregated old neighborhoods. There are neighborhoods as you describe, but it'll take at least a half-million and lightning-strikes good luck. You should know about the 10-percent due diligence extortio - oh, um fee. And outside of Orange and Wake counties, the schools are underfunded and don't have a good reputation. The political ruling class has open contempt for public schools. This is the South, after all. But since you asked ... I'd second Hillsborough. Nice town, Orange County schools. Old West Durham is a good neighborhood, and Duke adds some life; Lakewood-Tuscarora is also worth a try. You could try the old village in Mebane, which is more affordable (for now) but there's little on the market, the schools don't have a good reputation, and the commute to Raleigh, if you have to go there, is nasty.
Good luck.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:25 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,431,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwh View Post
You're asking a lot. Almost all of the Triangle (and other metros in North Carolina) are bland suburb, sad small town, or run-down segregated old neighborhoods. There are neighborhoods as you describe, but it'll take at least a half-million and lightning-strikes good luck. You should know about the 10-percent due diligence extortio - oh, um fee. And outside of Orange and Wake counties, the schools are underfunded and don't have a good reputation. The political ruling class has open contempt for public schools. This is the South, after all. But since you asked ... I'd second Hillsborough. Nice town, Orange County schools. Old West Durham is a good neighborhood, and Duke adds some life; Lakewood-Tuscarora is also worth a try. You could try the old village in Mebane, which is more affordable (for now) but there's little on the market, the schools don't have a good reputation, and the commute to Raleigh, if you have to go there, is nasty.
Good luck.
I’ve read several of your posts. You seem very bitter about your move to NC. I’m a native New Englander and while there are some things I miss, I love living in NC…10.5 years in the triangle and now 4 years just south of Wilmington. Life is too short for regrets. Move somewhere that makes you happy.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,942,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopbopbadoop View Post
love it, but not the heat
Looking at the forecast for the last week and next week...90's...hot, humid but maybe not Texas hot. We did have a cold front go through last week that dropped the temp to low 90's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary