Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 02:41 PM

21 posts, read 25,090 times

Advertisements

We’re considering a move to the area. It’s between Columbus OH metro and the triangle. Both have family so it’s coming down to livability. (Although we do like that Raleigh metro has slightly higher tech/VC investment, sunnier winters and politics/governance going in a more comfortable direction for us.)

From visiting some years ago and talking to family (new to the area) and friends, and looking online, we haven’t found any areas that look like great matches. And for us that’s somewhat vibrant communities with good-great public school and a somewhat walkable community, not a typical bland suburb where everything requires driving.

In case anyone knows any of these, we’re thinks of places like: Grandview Heights, Clintonville, or parts of Upper Arlington in Columbus OH; Lower Greenville, parts of Lakewood, parts of Preston Hollow in Dallas, TX; Shaker Heights in Cleveland, OH area. A lot of these are old-line/street car suburbs of the type that I know are harder to find in the south.

Is there anything like that in the Raleigh metro area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 03:17 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
What's your budget?

I consider where I live very walkable, and there are certainly other neighborhoods that are as well, but prices have nearly doubled in the past year.

I mean you asked the same question 8 years ago, and the only thing that has changed is that most new neighborhoods are probably less walkable, not more.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:37 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
It is the exception rather than the rule to find those kinds of walkable suburbs in the Raleigh area. I've only been to Columbus a couple of times, but we were there last summer looking at Ohio State and stayed in Upper Arlington. Our hotel was across from the Whole Foods area, and we found it to be very pleasant to walk around there. Years ago I had a friend who lived in Bexley, and it was adorable - like from a bygone era. Very walkable and charming. I've heard about Shaker Heights but never been. But I'm thinking something like Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh is what you would like.

The Cameron Village area (now known as the Village District) is probably most similar. There are older homes and shops, a library, etc. That would probably be my first pick for you. There is also the downtown area which others can speak to better than I can - Oakwood, Boylan Heights, etc. Probably among the priciest area of the Triangle. There is also North Hills, but that is like a newer shopping development but is growing.

If you are okay living outside of Raleigh, then Hillsborough is my first pick as a walkable town. There is one main street with restaurants, a library, a grocery store, some shops, etc. (it's the Orange County seat). It is charming with a lot of historic buildings from the 1800s. I wouldn't call the schools "great" in a traditional sense. But that depends on where you are coming from. They are not the most competitive in the area (which can be good), and is transitioning from what I would call a somewhat rural district to a more sophisticated one.

Another option can be Wake Forest which has a small downtown area and is part of Wake County schools (as is Raleigh). Lastly, you could consider a new neo-traditional neighborhood like Heritage - also in Wake Forest. It won't have the same charm and walkability of an inner-ring suburb but will imitate some of the same elements. I believe I have the same tastes as you as an inner-ring suburb tends to be my first choice as a place to live. I love walkability, some charm, and easy access to the city. Loved living in Bethesda, Maryland for example. We settled here and live in place like Heritage but in Chapel Hill called Southern Village. It's okay but not exactly what I want.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

I mean you asked the same question 8 years ago, and the only thing that has changed is that most new neighborhoods are probably less walkable, not more.

LOL, I didn't realize she asked the same question before. I gave pretty much the same answer as before. Hey, at least I'm consistent!

OP, I thought you were moving from a third location and had to pick between Columbus and Raleigh. If you are happy in Columbus, then just stay there. I think the only big difference between the two cities in Raleigh's favor is the warmer winters. If that's your most important, then I'd consider moving. Otherwise, I'd stick with Columbus.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What's your budget?

I consider where I live very walkable, and there are certainly other neighborhoods that are as well, but prices have nearly doubled in the past year.

Lol! Yes, I just noticed that after posting this. I’d totally forgotten asking here. The situation now is different with having kids and mid career, plus some family in the area. But yeah, rereading that thread we’re having the same feelings of not finding the types of communities that click with us.

Aside from the different life circumstances that change a bit what we’re looking for, I was also hoping ~10 years of very brisk develoment had matured or filled in some of the areas.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
LOL, I didn't realize she asked the same question before. I gave pretty much the same answer as before. Hey, at least I'm consistent!

OP, I thought you were moving from a third location and had to pick between Columbus and Raleigh. If you are happy in Columbus, then just stay there. I think the only big difference between the two cities in Raleigh's favor is the warmer winters. If that's your most important, then I'd consider moving. Otherwise, I'd stick with Columbus.
Yeah I totally forgot I had asked here. Now it’s from North TX to somewhere North, like Raleigh/Durham metro, Columbus, etc. We’ve been in a street car suburb in Dallas and love it, but not the heat, now high cost of living (fortunately Raleigh is a little cheaper than where we are now), nor the state government that gets us unreliable electricity amongst other negatives, and the biggest being distance from family.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:36 PM

I think some of downtown is filling in and North Hills is growing, but there is still not that "old street car suburb" feeling except maybe in the Village district or the older parts of downtown. Come for a visit and see what you think. From what I understand, it won't be as hot as Texas. And our electricity has been very reliable in the 10 years that we've been here, so that's a definite plus.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:02 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,219 times
Similar areas of Raleigh would include neighborhoods like University Park, Cameron Park, Five Points, Oakwood, Mordecai, Whitaker Mill, and North Hills.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:08 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post

I know I gave the same exact answer to someone who had posted the same question years apart and was very happy with my boring consistency lol.

OP the Raleigh suggestions are good ones but again without a budget specific recommendations are impossible.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:48 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,809,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopbopbadoop View Post
Yeah I totally forgot I had asked here. Now it’s from North TX to somewhere North, like Raleigh/Durham metro, Columbus, etc. We’ve been in a street car suburb in Dallas and love it, but not the heat, now high cost of living (fortunately Raleigh is a little cheaper than where we are now), nor the state government that gets us unreliable electricity amongst other negatives, and the biggest being distance from family.
Remember though that your income taxes in Texas are much cheaper than NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary